Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2002, 05:56 PM   #91
motojedi
asphalt adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Nice work Jim. I've just ordered a Cee Bailey shield that is 4" taller and 4" wider than my GS Adventure shield. I should have it in about 7 days and I'll report on its performance then.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:03 PM   #92
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,106
I talked with Steve on Monday and he told me that his guys were making some adjustments to the Adventure screen to create smoother airflow. He said that they should be shipping my screen out today with the BMW mounting hardware. I can't wait. With the Verholen peg kit and the Cee Baileys screen, all I'll be waiting on is the Corbin seat (with backrest no doubt!)
Old 07-11-2002, 10:29 PM   #93
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Thumb They're here...

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak ...So it looks like if you want the new tall touring screen badly enough, you gotta educate BMW Santa Cruz about it's availability and then order it from them...
Stopped by my local shop today and we called BMW Santa Cruz with the part number to find out about possible availability of the Wunderlich Touring Screen. Turns out that they're now in stock here in the States, so my order is in. Thanks again to the Flying Dutchman for the pointer, can't wait to bolt it up. Full report to follow...

Old 07-12-2002, 01:59 AM   #94
Jase
Pissed Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
it rocks!

seriuosly reduced wind buffetting to my shoulders and just hits top of my helmet just nicely...

can tour MUCH more comfortably now

i like berry berry mucho! :coo:
Old 07-13-2002, 01:02 AM   #95
Lashito
Wanderlusterer

Oddometer: 53
Question Cee Bailey ADV Screen

I have put about 2500 on my ADV, and I love it. Looking for cruise control solution to make it perfect. I thought I'd just deal with the wind, but after a 800 mile trip, no way. Too much buffeting. So I want to order a screen, and it looks like Cee Bailey is the way to go, especially for the Adventure. Here's my question for you fine folk:

I'm 6' tall, 32" inseam, and pondering what size to order? Because the non-flip shape has a completely different bubble than my stock Adventure screen, how do I know what size to get (stock, +1" - 4")? Is there an easy way to figure out where the wind will hit me for each size screen, and determine what I want from that? I don't really know where I want it to hit, if at all.

I just want to have a comfortable ride at highway speeds, but can't afford to order several screen sizes to decide which is best. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Lashito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 04:23 PM   #96
motojedi
asphalt adventurer

Re: Cee Bailey ADV Screen

Quote:
Originally posted by Lashito
I have put about 2500 on my ADV, and I love it. Looking for cruise control solution to make it perfect. I thought I'd just deal with the wind, but after a 800 mile trip, no way. Too much buffeting. So I want to order a screen, and it looks like Cee Bailey is the way to go, especially for the Adventure. Here's my question for you fine folk:

I'm 6' tall, 32" inseam, and pondering what size to order? Because the non-flip shape has a completely different bubble than my stock Adventure screen, how do I know what size to get (stock, +1" - 4")? Is there an easy way to figure out where the wind will hit me for each size screen, and determine what I want from that? I don't really know where I want it to hit, if at all.

I just want to have a comfortable ride at highway speeds, but can't afford to order several screen sizes to decide which is best. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
__________________________________________________ __

Try taping a piece of cardboard across the top of your shield to simulate a 5" taller shield. Sit on the bike in your normal seating position and see if it obscures your view. If so, lower it an inch and try it again. Thats what I did and I went with a 4" taller shield. I'll have it next week to try for real.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:25 PM   #97
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Re: Cee Bailey ADV Screen

Quote:
Originally posted by Lashito

Thanks!

Welcome to the asylum, but I believe jocflier had that avatar before you.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 05:23 PM   #98
motojedi
asphalt adventurer

I just finished mounting my Cee Baily shield and took it for a ride. Mines 4" taller and 4" widder. I'm 5'11'' with a 31" inseam and 54" chest. I think this screen works about as well as your gonna' get. It elliminated the high frequency buffeting and reduced the low frequency to a tollerable level. The faster you go the better it works and if I hunch over a bit I can get completely behind it.( for dodging stuff and real heavy rain) I also wear a dirtbike style helmet so a street helmet should be even smoother. Also I'm just looking over the shield by a few inches so I don't think I would want one any taller. The only negatives I've noticed is that the width I ordered causes the brush gaurds on the bars to hit during full-lock turns( no biggie ) and the shield showed up with a chip right on the edge at the bottom ( no biggie either ) But Steve at Cee Bailey's was very helpful and the shield showed up when he said it would. ( very unique for the motorcycle industry )
Old 07-18-2002, 05:34 PM   #99
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,106
Don't you just love the "FAA approved" sticker?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:41 PM   #100
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally posted by motojedi
The only negatives I've noticed is that the width I ordered causes the brush gaurds on the bars to hit during full-lock turns( no biggie )
Perhaps it is a "biggie"... when you are upright and just turning the handlebars; you can control the impact to the windshield (that I understand to be quite thick). However, in a tumble, the handlebars will most likely swing with great force (and hopefully you installed the Tourtech fork stops), so the brush guards will really impact. If they are the Acerbis (sp?) they are strong enough to perhaps really make things interesting! I noticed that the Aeroflow has "flares" away from where the handlebar ends would have impacted. (Clever) Perhaps this could be heated and modified.

I had to do several "heat and bend's" to work around the Hepco-Becker tank crash bars, but I do not know if I'd try this with he really thick stuff.

If you are going to do this, you should do it while the material is new. I was told that after a while the material does not retain its malleable qualities when heated (or something to that effect). Do you have any photo's you could share?

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 07:12 AM   #101
Killen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Thumb Aeroflow

Lots of protection:
Attached Images

Killen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 06:23 PM   #102
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
A vote for Aeroflow

Here's my 2 cents worth... There were two things I regularly ‘blessed' on this years trip to Alaska, Ohlins shocks and my Aeroflow's windshield.

I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam on a stock seat in the high position with Airhawk cushion on top.

With the Aeroflow's tall screen mounted I cruised through Alaska with nary a complaint about the weather. The tall screen allows me a quiet bubble with a slight breeze to cool my helmet vents but no buffeting and, yes, I can easily see over it.

With the shorter standard screen installed I get more air to the helmet with about the same wind to the body as the tall screen. For summer riding I rely on air getting to me via arm and side vents. Slight buffeting to the top of the helmet but that can be controlled in part by adding spacers to the upper bolts which moves the screen forward and up slightly for some fine tuning of air movement.

The benefit from both of these screens is a quiet peaceful space in which to enjoy the ride and some music and even a book on CD.

FWIW. I also tried the new Wunderlich screen on a friends GS and I still prefer the way the Aeroflow moves air around me and the Aeroflow does seem more stable at speeds of 75 MPH and up.
Harry Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 04:54 PM   #103
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Thumb

Got my Wunderlich Touring screen today, Emile. Thanks again for letting us here in the States in on its existence - so our importer would start stocking 'em. It is indeed beautiful both optically and aesthetically. Just really suits the looks of the bike and bolted right up in minutes. Sure enough, it's very much like an Adventure screen and the fact that it retains the stock screen's ability to adjust up & down is a big plus. I've only had time to take a 10 minute jaunt thus far, but the difference is immediately felt even in the lowest position. And the Wunderlich adjustment knobs make playing with the different settings a cinch. Will post pics & more detailed op/ed after some quality seat time. Can't wait...

Old 07-24-2002, 09:20 PM   #104
Marty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
new touring screen

Archie

along with your report of the new screen here, please include pics on your site. i am interested!
Old 07-25-2002, 08:56 AM   #105
Jase
Pissed Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
you can browse back through this topic a bit and find pics of the screen.

i also bought it based on the review of the Flying Dutchman (Emile) and it rocks

i have a shitload less turbulence, it's wider so that helps my shoulders, and it's easy to see through

basically i'm one happy camper :):

think the screen is GREAT!

I use it on the middle position with seat on high position. cruising at 100mph no probs now.