User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #1426
CMI-JB3
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Givi AF330 alternative

Planning trip to west coast as well as trip to CO this summer. Tall aftermarket promised to cook me alive in high temperatures I expect to encounter. After looking around for options that would offer protection in rain and air flow in heat I decided to give Givi AF330 a go based on comments in this thread. Found an alternative on ebay (KAPPA AIRFLO 2 PIECE WINDSHIELD) that offered a bit better price than I was getting elsewhere for Givi. Exchanged e-mails with seller and he swore it was made in same factory as Givi, but with company, Kappa, name instead of Givi. Took a shot and ordered. It is stamped made in Italy and construction appears to be very high quality. Installed it on 2007 GS with no real issues or problems. Have had chance to ride in temps from 28 degrees to 78 degrees and was able to adjust to be comfortable in both. No heavy rain yet, but in misting rain with top section up nothing accumulated on helmet visor. With top screen up can ride with visor up and no wind in face. I think it could be a winner!

6'1" with 31' inseam.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #1427
drew9949
Nordic Noob

Oddometer: 1
WTB Used Stock Windscreen for '08 GSA

If anyone has replaced their stock windscreen on a GS Adventure (year '07 or later), I am interested in buying it. I have an '08 GSA that has shown some minor cracks on the windscreen. I'm happy with the stock screen and would like to find a replacement that's in good shape. If anyone wants to sell, let me know. Thanks!
drew9949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #1428
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Looking for pictures of an 1150GSA with the tall Ztechnic Adventure screen, anybody?

Thanks,
Rich

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #1429
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 883

I have an '05 R1200GS, winglets, H&B full bars, Sargent seat with front in high setting. I keep the stock 'screen in the second highest notch and it's great for me. My head doesn't rattle around, yeah I have to close my faceshield at 60mph or so, but I generally don't like having it open faster than that anyway. I wear earplugs for any ride over 30 minutes. I'm 6' with 32" inseam, about 150lbs.

Here's the issue: When my 5'2" wife is riding pillion her head gets knocked around something awful by the wind. So I basically need a 'screen that will increase the no buffet zone just enough to envelop her.

I'm thinking AeroFlow Sport. I don't want a laminar lip or spoiler or anything clamped onto the windscreen. I've seen them flap off in traffic, and the clamps and stuff are too much visual clutter for me. I ride year 'round and also live in an apartment, so I don't have a whole lot of room for extra windscreens. Whatever I get will likely be permanent.

Are any windscreens better at increasing passenger comfort?

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #1430
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Sorry in advance for the no-value post since I don't have anything to add, but I have been interested in this particular question for awhile. Anxious to hear comments to others who have experience.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #1431
BoxBoy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Windscreen Adjustment Hardware

I found that my Windscreen Adjustment Hardware is missing two internal bushings p/n's 46637676997 and 46637676996; these were likely removed by the previous owner. One of these (46637676996) is not sold separately by BMW but comes with an ~80 kit.

Does anyone have the spec on this bushing? This could easily be machined or matched to a similar bushing; and Yes I am too cheap to fork over the $80 bucks for a $5 part.
BoxBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #1432
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 883
Thumb Aeroflow: So far so good

Yesterday I installed an Aeroflow Tall Sport Windshield on my '05 R1200GS. The Sport version does not have the lowers, it's basically just a windscreen. My bike already had Adv winglets.

Installation was fairly straightforward, though there was one point when the instructions read, "This is easier with two hex wrenches" right at the point when you need those two wrenches. For those with a garage that's no problem. For those, like me, who do their wrenching on the curb, it's not so easy to stow everything in the bags, carry the stuff that doesn't fit up the apartment, find the tools, then run back down and start all over. So a thorough reading of all the instructions beforehand is encouraged.

I tweaked the windshield adjustments today. The right handguard contacted the windshield at full lock, but the left one did not. After some handlebar and windshield tweaking, which involved lots grabbing the handgrips with my eyes closed (my neighbors probably would not have been surprised if I had been making vroom vroom noises), I got everything in a good spot. I was worried that the top of the windshield was even with my pupils. I don't like looking through the screen. I didn't want to have to exchange this 'screen for another one, a week away from a 800 mile trip with the wife (whose comfort necessitated the purchase of this windscreen).

I took a brief, two-mile test run to the gas station to fill up. I felt a lot more wind on the sides of my jacket, but not unpleasantly so. Granted, I think I hit 30mph for about a minute. I was able to comfortably look over the screen without extending my neck, or scrunching down to look through it.

I'll be riding to work soon, a 13-mile roundtrip, and will be able to give a better assessment; but so far, I like it!

IBA # 55612

Monsignore screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 11:24 AM Reason: Not enough smilies
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #1433
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMI-JB3 View Post
Planning trip to west coast as well as trip to CO this summer. Tall aftermarket promised to cook me alive in high temperatures I expect to encounter. After looking around for options that would offer protection in rain and air flow in heat I decided to give Givi AF330 a go based on comments in this thread. Found an alternative on ebay (KAPPA AIRFLO 2 PIECE WINDSHIELD) that offered a bit better price than I was getting elsewhere for Givi. Exchanged e-mails with seller and he swore it was made in same factory as Givi, but with company, Kappa, name instead of Givi. Took a shot and ordered. It is stamped made in Italy and construction appears to be very high quality. Installed it on 2007 GS with no real issues or problems. Have had chance to ride in temps from 28 degrees to 78 degrees and was able to adjust to be comfortable in both. No heavy rain yet, but in misting rain with top section up nothing accumulated on helmet visor. With top screen up can ride with visor up and no wind in face. I think it could be a winner!

6'1" with 31' inseam.
Can you post up a picture of it?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #1434
AVODude
"Fu Manchu"

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Can you post up a picture of it?
Yeah what he said.
2009 GSA "Fu Manchu" (my third GSA)
Builders of the first BMW motorcycle for the SEMA show
AVODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #1435
DownunderBrian
B2

Oddometer: 75
Rain and givi 330

I've been reading through this old thread.. One question that i don't see answered for the givi 2 piece airflow 330.... What happens in the rain?

I ride in the rain sometimes (sometimes you can't help it if you are out for a week or so) and it looks to me that rain would run up the lower part and come through the split between upper and lower, straight into your body or helmet.

Anyone have experience with this?

I pick up my 1200GS triple black on Friday... New screen is one of the first things on my list.
DownunderBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #1436
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 954
Added a Laminar Lip to my stock GSA windshield, and I'm not impressed. I'm running a Touratech LDC "High" seat in the high position, 30mm bar risers, and I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. Other than less air coming through the helmet vents, there's no difference in wind noise. The Lip extends 1-3/4" above the top of the screen, and I tried setting the windshield itself at all different heights. No buffeting at all, but no relief from the noise.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #1437
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
I'm 6' 2", 32" inseam and I tried the Laminar lip. It was OK but not ideal for me. Still didn't get the wind up over my helmet as much as I wanted. I bought a Vstream windscreen for my wife's F650GS ( she loves it ) and put her Wunderlich wind deflector on my GSA windscreen. It is the answer for me! Took all the wind and shoots it up over my helmet by about 4" whereas I had to duck down in stock form. Much better improvement. Love it! I don't have it in the most upper position so I'm sure it would work for a taller guy then me...

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #1438
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownunderBrian View Post
I ride in the rain sometimes (sometimes you can't help it if you are out for a week or so) and it looks to me that rain would run up the lower part and come through the split between upper and lower, straight into your body or helmet.

I've ridden many times in strong rain with my 330. Now that you asked, I never noticed rain which could be funneled through the air gap. If I've never noticed it, then maybe it doesn't happen or the rain that goes through is too insignificant. No issues at all for me during rainstorms.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #1439
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
Anyone here ever try the SAENG vortex generator edging they sell? They claim it breaks up the smooth laminar flow and I can't understand why that would be advantageous, but Ive thought about trying it on the edge of my laminar lip. I like the LL in a lower setting but I want to be able to run it in the highest setting. As for now when it's at the highest setting it is quiet but there is a bad buffeting problem. Hoping the SAENG edging cut down on that some.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #1440
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 954
Figure I'll try the spoiler next. Anyone wanna buy a gently used Laminar Lip?