Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #1456
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,918
I've abandoned my adaptation of putting the AF-330 movable section onto a standard Givi replacement screen, which was an effort to raise the overall height. There was so much flexing at speed that I feared it would break as I rode along.

I have gone back to standard AF-330 configuration. But, what I am doing now in HOT weather, is just pulling the movable section off and keeping it in my top box in an old cloth helmet bag. The lower section that ls left is low enough that I get lots of air right on my helmet, allowing vents to flow air.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #1457
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,653
I just put a Givi AF330 screen and Cee Bailey wind wings on my '08 GS.

I was looking forward to a ride to the office this morning. I was wondering, "Will I be able to tell any difference? Was all this really worth the money?"

WOW!!!

Why didn't I do this when the bike was new? I'm now riding in still air at 75mph! No buffeting, and very little wind noise at helmet level. Earplugs were a necessity at highway speeds, but now, I'm not really sure I need them!

Thanks for everyone's input on the Windscreen FAQ!

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #1458
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,836
Cutting a screen??

I've got a lightly scratched screen for my 1150 Adventure and want to cut it down for a "summer screen".

What's the best way to cut and polish the screen and does anyone have a suggested height I should go for?

Cheers,

Matt

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #1459
Zephyr20
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Which Screen

After reading this thread and others for hours, I still haven't figured out which screen is going to work best for me on my R1100GS.
I am thinking either the Vario 2-piece unit from Wundrlich or the tall touring version from ZTechnik. I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam, and the seat in the high position.
If anyone could provide some feedback I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Zephyr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #1460
Oggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
After reading this thread and others for hours, I still haven't figured out which screen is going to work best for me on my R1100GS.
I am thinking either the Vario 2-piece unit from Wundrlich or the tall touring version from ZTechnik. I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam, and the seat in the high position.
If anyone could provide some feedback I would greatly appreciate it.
I am in the same boat on not knowing what one/type of windscreen extender to get (6'4"), but leaning to the Touratech extender as I am not liking the looks of the taller windscreens, but like the look of the ones that have the extenders clipped or even hand built.
Oggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #1461
longslowdistance
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Adventure stock shield height?

Can anyone with a current model stock adventure windshield tell me the height of the top of the shield when measured above the higher headlight?
Sorry if this info is already in the thread. I did a search but didn't find it. Thanks.

longslowdistance screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 07:29 AM
longslowdistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #1462
GeneC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Real life experience with Wunderlich Vario Screen on a f1100gs

After reading a lot of this...I "think" this is the screen for me.Does anyone have experience with this. Do you like it. Did you return it :-) I'm 5"9"

Thank you, Gene
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #1463
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneC View Post
After reading a lot of this...I "think" this is the screen for me.Does anyone have experience with this. Do you like it. Did you return it :-) I'm 5"9"

Thank you, Gene
The f1100GS is a very rare bike, so not many here have one ;-)

I have the Wunderlich vario on my r1200GS and its the best I've found so far...I'm 6'2". It does vibe a little bit at idle. I would think the stock adventure screen would be perfect for your height.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #1464
GeneC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
The f1100GS is a very rare bike, so not many here have one ;-)

I have the Wunderlich vario on my r1200GS and its the best I've found so far...I'm 6'2". It does vibe a little bit at idle. I would think the stock adventure screen would be perfect for your height.
I swear...I dont think there has been a post I've done yet that hasn't had a typo!! :-)

Thanks for the advice. Just so I'm clear, are you saying to use the the stock screen that came on the adventure version of my "r"1100gs?

GeneC screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 08:34 PM
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #1465
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by longslowdistance View Post
Can anyone with a current model stock adventure windshield tell me the height of the top of the shield when measured above the higher headlight?
Sorry if this info is already in the thread. I did a search but didn't find it. Thanks.
I did this measurement on my Dad's 12GS with a GSA screen last night, I remember it being slightly less or slightly more than 18" from the bottom of the "widow's peak" between the headlights to the top.

And to add my experience to this giant thread.... I'm 6' 2", standard seat. Standard screen produced an unpleasant roar at 40+mph, earplugs required for any decent ride. Tried the BMW tall screen (the cheap one) and it made the problem much worse. My bike has always had the GSA winglets.

I tried removing the screen entirely for testing, and couldn't manage to get my head into the clean airflow, even with standard seat on high setting. The Nav IV sitting up a bit too high probably didn't help this much.

I tried my Dad's GS with the GSA screen (without winglets) and low seat. It was perfect.

My final solution has been to add a Laminar Lip to the tall GS windscreen. This is at least as good if not better than the ADV windscreen for me, and I'm able to see this with the standard seat. I just put the lip on this week and am nothing short of overjoyed at the improvement. This also turns out to be a fairly inexpensive solution, i.e. $120 for the windscreen and I think $84 for the lip.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #1466
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
My final solution has been to add a Laminar Lip to the tall GS windscreen. This is at least as good if not better than the ADV windscreen for me, and I'm able to see this with the standard seat. I just put the lip on this week and am nothing short of overjoyed at the improvement. This also turns out to be a fairly inexpensive solution, i.e. $120 for the windscreen and I think $84 for the lip.
It's funny, I didn't care for the LL at all. I replaced it with the TT spoiler and, as you said, I'm nothing short of overjoyed.

Weird how some things that work for some just don't work for others. That's why there's so much crap out there to stick on the bikes.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #1467
BMWSaint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I have to say it is disappointing to find that a universally accepted screen has yet to be developed for the stock setup.

I'm 6'1 with a 33" inseam and had the full Aeroflow on my '07 GS. It was the perfect shield for quiet riding and weather protection. No buffeting, no noise, no shaking windscreen or heads - it is probably the best solution out there.

That said, I now have a 2012 GS and don't want to install the vast amount of hardware the Aeroflow requires. I also would prefer not to tack on the ugly little winglets. I have been riding with the Machine Art Moto small fairing and it is fine for riding below 50 MPH. After that it is very loud and yes, I wear ear plugs (something that was optional with the Aeroflow, BTW).

I made my own Tobinator setup and used the stock shield for a 2000 mile trip to the Gaspe peninsula recently. Weather can be extreme this time of year & I thought a little more protection might not be a bad thing. Reduced buffeting, but very loud as well.

The vast amount of writings on this subject here at ADV had me convinced that the Givi screen over the Vario was the way to go. I like their products, but did see the same disclaimer on the Twisted Throttle website. It is written in such a way that offers hope that they may tell you a solution off the record. Their headquarters isn't too far away, so I may head down at some point to see what they say.

Saint
'09XR1200, '12 R1200GS
BMWSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #1468
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Yes, your frustration is shared by many. I think the Twisted Throttle text you are referring to is listed here:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5378/289/
"*This screen does not fit the 2010 and later models. The two pivot points on the front of the screen were previously fitted with shouldered plastic washers. The 2010 redesign omitted these washers. The hole in the 2010 model is technically too large for this screen application. A spacer or washer will be needed to to take up that space and install the screen properly. We do not have a simple solution for the 2010 and later model years so it is not a recommended application. Buy and install at your own risk and ingenuity on the 2010 and later R1200GS. Works flawlessly for model years 2004-2009

AIRFLOW is the most versatile Givi windshield to date. "
Just curious if anyone has worked out the mounting issues for 2010+ GS with Givi AF-330?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #1469
BMWSaint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Yes, that is exactly the Twisted Throttle description I was referring to.

Having written my post, I was motivated to hit their store yesterday. They had a late model GS sitting on the floor and a Givi screen in stock, so it was easy to see what the issue is. It appears all that will be required is the fitting of a rubber bushing or grommet around the two front screws that hold the screen in place. The holes on the screen are a larger diameter without the plastic washers described in Twisted's catalog.

They are calling Givi on Monday to see if they have developed a solution for the current GS models. Stay tuned!

On their GS display bike was the MRA screen with adjustable top fairing. It was narrow, but might be worth looking into further. I tried the previous iteration on the '07 GS and found no discernible difference between it and stock. This has a much larger wing with far more adjustment however...

Saint
'09XR1200, '12 R1200GS

BMWSaint screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 10:07 AM
BMWSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #1470
Django
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Ok, I'm going to comment on this as I too saw the write up about the AF330 on the Twisted Throttle website. I loved my AF330 on my 2009 GS and when I got a 2012 GS, the first thing I wanted to add/replace was the stock shield for the Givi. Boy was I disappointed when I read, according to Twisted Throttle, that it would not fit. Really, I was pissed off. I went ahead and ordered one anyway from Revzilla (because they have a generous return policy), figuring I'd 'make it work'. I went about assembly and in about 45 minutes I was done. I didn't have a single issue or need to modify the setup. I found no issue with holes being to big or a need to find large washers/o-rings/gromets at the local hardware store. It was a simple install and I have had no issues with the shield since I put it on the bike.

Django is offline   Reply With Quote