Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 AM   #16
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Guys,
Preload won't work. He will end up with two inches of preload and the shock still won't give right numbers when it is fully loaded with gear and full of gas, and it will ride like a truck. It won't work right in the stutter bumps or as the Brit calls them...corrugations. It will be harsh, in the woops it will bottom and it will headshake in heavy gravel and sand.

KTM does a great job for the racers but the adventure rider so far does not get the same level of support even though we must be a big part of their sales.
Can anyone explain that?
bill

I've been to cheap/busy to change out the rear spring, and with the preload at one setting the bike handles well both solo and two up with camping gear. I have re-done the front end, though. A friend I ride with has the same bike but all-stock suspension and has no trouble with the bike at the same speeds, with luggage. Deep sand and silt were a problem, but they are a problem on any bike. Yes, the shock can be made better, but for now it does the job.

As far as support goes, we're on our own. KTM imported what, 300 640Advs a year in the whole US? There are probably individual dealers that sell more RFS bikes than that.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #17
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,158
I think it has been about 200 bikes/year.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,409
I'm not going to wade into the buy new springs/don't buy new springs debate, however for both of my WP'ed bikes, 950 & 525, I bought new springs. Threw .52 in my 950 it was a nice improvement. I did not revalve.

Just finished the suspension on my 525 EXC and put in heavier springs up front with a Moto Pro revalve kit + the midvalve kit. It is unreal what adifference that makes. In the rear I bought a progressive rate Factory Connection, but I have a linkless susp.

Check your sag first and foremost, if you don't have your numbers, it's impossible to accurately tell what springs you will need. All it takes is a tape measure.

Once you have your sag numbers, then you know what springs you will need.

I would consider doing the springs without a revalve akin to reusing a patched tube when you have a new one sitting on your bench. It's cheap ($150 from Moto Pro), relatively easy to install, and makes a world of difference. Probably more of a difference than the springs. All you need is a caliper and new fork oil.

Moto Pro was excellent to deal with, always answered the phone and talked me through any questions I had. I would consider this mandatory on any WP bike I have from now on.

Good luck, and check that sag!!
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #19
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,813
Re progressive springs, am I dreaming or do they look different? Does the following look like a std or progressive to the trained eye? Apparently its an 84-250. Would this be suitable for a 100kg suited rider on a 640 Adv ?

overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #20
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,409
pretty sure that's a straight rate.

Here's KTMS Progressive
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #21
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Re progressive springs, am I dreaming or do they look different? Does the following look like a std or progressive to the trained eye? Apparently its an 84-250. Would this be suitable for a 100kg suited rider on a 640 Adv ?

As long as it is a 59mm ID spring it will work. I doubt it. It is most likely a 62mm one from another KTM. It will fit but it will slop around on the shock and rub the res.

Yes that is a straight rate spring. It is in the part #. It is an 8.4 x 250mm spring. If it was a progressive it would say PDS 6 or something like that. Or have something like this 7.6-9.5 260.

If it is a 59 slap it on and try it out.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #22
BirtDike OP
Like herding cats

Oddometer: 52
Cheers for the input

Hey fellas,

Sorry, I didn't mean to abandon this thread, but things were a bit hectic at work this week, and I've hardly been at home. Really appreciate the input from everyone.

Zerodog - I'm going to send you a PM about all this stuff, and hopefully we can sort something out between us. Sounds like I want to go higher than the 80/260 I can souce here - and am open to any advice you can give.

I'll update the post once we sort out the best option, and once I get it all fitted.

Cheers!

BD
BirtDike is offline   Reply With Quote