User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
router.exe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
gerbing vs. kanestu fit

I'm tryin to decide on a heated liner. i tried a gerbing for the day but the sleeves and torso were too short (wrong size). never tried the kanetsu. both seem to have comparable power output. those that have the gorewindstopper version. do you find it warmenough with the thinner fabric? those with the tltec windbloc. do you find it keeps enough of the wind out? how loose do you actaully find the sleeves?

also, does anyone know if gerbing torso height varies with sleeve length?

thx.
router.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,539
Hi,

Sorry,a Kanetsu will never approach the Gerbing,or a Warm n Safe,for heat output.
And yes,I've tried them all!
Currently have the Warm n Safe jacket liner and still have the Kanetsu windblock(it stays in the closet most of the time)

Any of them should be snug on you,to allow maximum heat transfer.

The Kanetsu actually runs a bit large.have a large in the Warm n Safe and it fits fine,the Kanetsu large is a bit loose.

Can't compare with Gerbing,I had an older one and the sizing was different from the current versions.You really need to measure yourself and size according to the website or find a stocking dealer.
If you happen to be close to the Cycle World MC show that's around the country this fall/winter,you can find Gerbing there with lots of product to try on/buy.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
router.exe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

good to know about the heat output, thx!
Old 11-13-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
MojaveGS
Loving it!

Oddometer: 3,735
I have the newer Kanetsu Windstopper version and it indead blocks the wind, completely. I have ridden to a low of 20 (with Roadcrafter overtop) and I was fine with it and no other insulation. I have a fleece vest I may wear overtop of it when it gets really cold.
VTTMZFPKWGDKZXTJCDIGKUHUAUEKCAR
MojaveGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Tollster
Jammer Jay

Oddometer: 2,067
When I purchased my Darian jacket, its oversized, but for some reason or another the forearms where very tight, even after break in. (Strange, but most motorcyclists I know Have large forearms) I used the Tec 1 or the thinner liner with my Darian, I recently purchased an old style Kanestu on sale from stich, I got the thinner one without the Gore windstopper, glad I did or it would be useless as now the forearms are really tight.
So what I am trying to say if your tight in the forearms, you may consider the thinner one.
Although I have only used this liner, other than nit being able to really bend my elbows, it doesn't ride up in the midsection when properly cinched, its just on and off with no infinate setting and I have found it not to be hot, nor cold in 70MPH at 25 degrees for 40 minutes.
If you haven't crashed, you're not riding to potential!.
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
r1200mike
Govt.Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Elec. Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
I'm tryin to decide on a heated liner. i tried a gerbing for the day but the sleeves and torso were too short (wrong size). never tried the kanetsu. both seem to have comparable power output. those that have the gorewindstopper version. do you find it warmenough with the thinner fabric? those with the tltec windbloc. do you find it keeps enough of the wind out? how loose do you actaully find the sleeves?

also, does anyone know if gerbing torso height varies with sleeve length?

thx.
Bought a Darien and the Kanestu (SP) Liner. I felt no heat a @ 45 Degrees. I ended up with a new gerbings. I recently rode to Indiana in temps ranging from 30 - 65 degrees. I am glad I bought the Gerbings. Kept me warm. the Darien is like a tank you can wear. I also bought the AD1 pants.
Natl Guard Marksmanship Instructor (Retired)
07 R12GSA Pick up 12-22-07
r1200mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
router.exe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the one thing i didnt like about the gerbing i had for a day was the powerport. it was jabbing me in the ribs the whole 300miles i wore it. i'm surprised i didn't have a bruise after it. but i definately think they could have done better with that piece.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
I like the warmnsafe over the gerbing because of the stretchy material on the sides to hold it close to you. It also seems like the wires don't move around so much inside the jacket and it is a little more of a lower profile jacket... (no insulation, but very warm when layered over).

I also have the aerostich airvantage with zip in sleeves.. it does great but there is no warmth on your arms so it stays in the closet most of the time.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
I have two Kanetsu liners, windblock and the lighter (green one.) Both are a loose fit compared to a Gerbling's I tried some years ago. I've been told that the Kanetsu's don't produce as much heat as the Gerbling, nor do they don't pull the same power either. I'm not sure that's true, but I have found the Windblock model, a 200 weight, to be almost too warm. It seals off air flow to your torso very effectively and I often don't bother to turn it on the first hour of the ride in near freezing temps when wearing my Darien. The Windblock worked too well for me, and because of our mild winters, I bought the lighter un-windblock model. I find it a good compromise as long as whatever you wear over it does a good job of sealing out the wind.

The fit is generous, both. Both have plenty of room in the sleeves and torso but the heavier Windblock is tight in the forearms under my Darien. Both liners also do well as separate jackets post ride. Color might be a little strange ... do they still make that electric blue one?
Harry Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,537
I have the Kanetsu Airvantage vest with zip on sleeves

Rarely need to plug it in, it's so friggen warm
Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
the one thing i didnt like about the gerbing i had for a day was the powerport. it was jabbing me in the ribs the whole 300miles i wore it. i'm surprised i didn't have a bruise after it. but i definately think they could have done better with that piece.
You're jacket is too small
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #12
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Airadvantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibby
I have the Kanetsu Airvantage vest with zip on sleeves

Rarely need to plug it in, it's so friggen warm
+ one on the airadvantage.........close adjustable fit makes all the difference........I wear mine over a tee shirt in 30 to 40 degree weather and under a Darien.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #13
router.exe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG *
You're jacket is too small
that may be. but they still have the worst design for the powerport.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #14
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 614
Gerbing

Talk to Gerbing. I bought mine at their display at one of the motorcycle shows in which they were exhibiting. They measured me and found that none of their standard 37 sizes fit me as well as they would have liked, so they custom made mine at no extra cost! That's service.

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote