User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
A quick review of my new Honda Tornado

Hi, after a very long time (ok for me) I finally had the money and made my mind about what I wanted on a bike, and also finally the insurance company paid me for my bike that got smash by an idiot driver, well at least he had insurance, and that is a big bonus down here since it is not mandatory by law.

So I was in a big dilemma between bikes, FZ6,SV, SVS, V-Strom or a smaller more dirt worthy bike, such as a Tornado, Falcon from Honda or an XT from Yamaha. I know they are NOT related but I wanted to go a bit faster and with less vibrations than I do now, (I still have a KLR) or I wanted to have a better city-trails-beach bike.

Ok so when I had all the money I was going to have for the bike I went to so local dealer and could not afford a Ninja 650R that I had my eyes on. And then I understood I could not afford a bike over the $5,000 price tag and decided to go small and dirt worthy, why? In February I will be a father and you all know what that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So last Saturday I saw this bike, the Falcon and it was a lot like what I had before in it’s smaller sister (Honda Bros 125cc) so I bought it. Since this is not a bike that is available in the USA let me present it.

It’s a 250 cc Dual purpose, street legal, air cool single, 290 lbs, single disc front brake, drum back brake. 6 speeds, 3 gallons, dual propose and comes with some nice tires for 50-50 ridding. The rubber is Metzeler Sahara 3 and so far so good it damm fun. The seat is a litle high at 34.5 inches but it can be lower to 33 inches. All this for around $4,100 USD.

I am still in the break in period but I will take care of that this week-end. My impressions are all good. The engine is strong and with 6th gear on you can cruise at 50-60 mph without hearing a single complain; as soon as I can I will open it to see how fast it can really go. Breaks are good but they do require a firm squeeze, so 2 finger breaking is out of the question in city traffic, good thing we have 5 fingers.

Handling is simple, the bike is very light so going around traffic is a breeze, in fact is so light that I am inspire to go places like the beach and sand even deep sand is not a problem. At highway speeds it can be too light but you could beef it up (I guess).

The tires are inspiring for going off road and for city, on the highway they can get a bit noisy if you go over 55 mph, but that is a small not important thing. I will have to wait to see how many miles can we get from them. If they are no good there are some options for the sizes; front is 90/90-21 and the back one is 120/80-18 so a more aggressive Pireli MT21 are not out of a question and also more street oriented ones.

The instruments are good, actually very nice. The info is all digital and you get is speed (no tach) 3 trip meters, one of this ones is a reverse meter, odometer and clock. Also there are a much of light that indicate the turn signals, neutral, stand, and your lights.

The one short coming is the light, it comes with a very small 35w bulb, so this has to go. I will replace it ASAP with a better PIAA light.
MPG I still don’t know but I am expecting close to 70 mpg if not better but let’s wait.

Some pics from Sunday’s ride

Damasovi

PS if you have this bike please make any add your review or comment
Attached Images

damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

ome more
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

the last one
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
benh
lookin 4 a way outta town

Oddometer: 262
Nice looking bike....
I wish Honda would sell that here in the US...it would make for a nice update

benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
baja/honda

good looking little bike!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Now, if they could just make the XR650L look like that from the factory...
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
yep,
looks like a bigger honda bros?
you have a front disc & what looks to be a dohc motor.
great bike for baja. next get a skid plate and some better tires and go visit coco.

damn stupid that bike is not available in the US. we get a less than that 230L.
that bike is better and would sell well. well all know honda usa are idiots! this once agains proves they have the right bikes to sell but are clueless where to sell them.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-14-2007 at 01:38 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

see what i mean. 230 left, tornado right.
honda you are dumb fuckers!

Butler Maps website:
Old 11-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
lukepryshlak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
have to agree with all of you

I rented a honda tornado earlier this year in Costa Rica and loved it. I think it is very similar to what you have pictured above. I own a 640 adventure, wr 450 and an old 66 atlas, and would love to have a small honda like the tornado and would probably use it more than any of the bikes i currently own only because it is so user friendly. I don't know exatly what it is but these bikes just seem so "easy" for lack of a better word. Don't get me wrong, i would not get rid of the current fleet in favor of the honda but it would make a capable and cheap alternative if i did not have acces to the bigger more expensive machines.
I put about 2000km on the little honda in about a 1 1/2 weeks down south on every road type Costa Rica has to offer and the bike kept trucking along like a little champ. Enjoy you new ride! Personally, i think those are great bikes and wish we had the option to purchase them up here.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
yep,
looks like a bigger honda bros?
you have a front disc & what looks to be a dohc motor.
great bike for baja. next get a skid plate and some better tires and go visit coco.

damn stupid that bike is not available in the US. we get a less than that 230L.
that bike is better and would sell well. well all know honda usa are idiots! this once agains proves they have the right bikes to sell but are clueless where to sell them.
Yes it is a bigger Bros and it has what you menton. The skid plate is mod number 2 on my list, by the way were does Coco live? I know he is close but, I just have to visit him.

I wanted a 230L when I saw it on the internet BUT after seing it park next to my Tornado I was so glad I did not.

Damasovi
Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Gracias

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepryshlak
I rented a honda tornado earlier this year in Costa Rica and loved it.
I put about 2000km on the little honda in about a 1 1/2 weeks down south on every road type Costa Rica has to offer and the bike kept trucking along like a little champ. Enjoy you new ride! Personally, i think those are great bikes and wish we had the option to purchase them up here.
Gracias and yes the bike is easy and FUN.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi
Yes it is a bigger Bros and it has what you menton. The skid plate is mod number 2 on my list, by the way were does Coco live? I know he is close but, I just have to visit him.

I wanted a 230L when I saw it on the internet BUT after seing it park next to my Tornado I was so glad I did not.

Damasovi
http://www.bajaexpo.com/coco.htm
Butler Maps website:
Old 11-15-2007, 06:07 AM   #13
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,361
We get the Falcon down here but it has the XR400 motor in it and has front and rear discs.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #14
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways
We get the Falcon down here but it has the XR400 motor in it and has front and rear discs.
Yeah we get this one too here in Mexico, I was going to buy it but is just to close (in dimentions) to the KLR. If I was down to just one bike the Falcon is a good overall option.

Damasovi
Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #15
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

An update

Hi, just in case you want to know I have done more ridding and so far so good the bike is what you expect from a Honda, it is smooth below 70 mph, it has giving me over 66 mpg, so I guess I could ride round 190 miles with just one gas tank.

On the trails it has perform very good and I am still waiting to have a chance to ride it in the mountains but xmast break is coming so I am expecting a lot more miles to come.

keep it coming

Damasovi