User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
scooby33sup OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Barber to Indy

O.K. here it is.......my first thread.......I think. 40 years old and recently find myself suffering from short term memory loss.....oh well.

So MotoGP, Rossi, Hayden, Stoner, Pedrosa and the rest of the gang are going to bless us with their presence at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Laguna Seca is no go for poor white trash like myself and Indy is a stretch but we (me and a bud) have committed to make the trip.

The plan:

Leave Alabama the Beautiful on Wednesday September 10, 2008.
Ride 8-10 hours without benefit of an interstate.
Camp on Wednesday night.
Meet the rest of our gang (Hulsey's Angels) named to honor my 67 year old dad who still rides trackdays at Barber and Talladega GP on a REGULAR basis. Anyway, meet the rest of our gang in Indy on Thursday.
Do the race thing (staying in a hotel) Thursday-Saturday night.
Big race finale on Sunday.
Leave the track after the races.
Ride 2-4 hours and camp on Sunday night.
Wake up on Monday morning and come on home.

I will be on an 07 DR650 and my buddy will be on his KTM RXC 640.

Not sure if I need help planning or if I just wanted to tell the world that we were gonna be able to go to the race

All I have at this point is a DR650 and an intense itch to go on this trip.......so bring on the guidance, advice and well wishes.

Oh yeah, I mentioned that I'm poor white trash; the total trip budget is $600 not including tickets or bike and supply preparation prior to embarking. With that in mind I need your best LOW BUDGET guidance to prepare for my first significant road trip. So.......Lets get it on!!!!!!!!!!
scooby33sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
niccoIndy
Not so noob?

Oddometer: 161
It is pretty easy to get to and around indy. Things get crazy when there are races at the IMS however. Much more traffic and on race day closures of some streets and conversion of some streets to one way.

In regards to your budget, and availability of hotel rooms. I would recommend booking a hotel room now. Things book up quickly and often when there is an event at IMS people end up staying pretty far from the track due to the availability of hotel rooms. Also another consideration is that the hotels in the area raise rates of rooms during events at IMS. Supply and demand I guess.

You can always camp at IMS this would likely save you some money. Its a 24 hour party in the IMS camp grounds. I don't know if thats your thing.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Given my screen name you probably already know, I live in the area and would be happy to fill you in on anything you need to know.
niccoIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
scooby33sup OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
One of the gang is supposed to already have a block of rooms for $70 a night for the weekend. But the camping is a definate posssibility we usually camp for 4 days when the AMA is at Barber and we only live 40 miles away
scooby33sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
niccoIndy
Not so noob?

Oddometer: 161
Cool you can't really beat 70 a night, how close to the track? Just remember to save some beer money!
niccoIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
AugustFalcon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Four of us are riding out from Connecticut and camping at the track. We will probably take two days on the way out too.

We will be in Stand J, S14, Seats EE 3-6 I think and our camp sites are in 1A at 974-977.

Look us up -- we will have some beer.

I'm the old dad --- the other three riders are near your age. This is our first trip out to the track so any input from locals or otherwise experienced track goers will be gleefully appreciated.
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
bynder
digity digity

Oddometer: 913
you can stay at the coke lot right across the street from the track. i'll check on prices, it's camping so there will be a lot of good times
bynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,314
+1 on coke lot, I hope it will be open next year, there was talk of building shit there due to the Town of Speedway doing a major overhaul.

If it is open bring a way to save pics off your camera, that place is a hoot at night from what I see and hear from the other big races here in town.