Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #16
Yad
yet another dave

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
Okay maybe not ultimate, but I'm looking for suggestions.

I had to resurrect my first two bikes before they'd run, and I kinda get a hankering on working on bikes now. Problem is, the project that my dad and I have now is a V65 Magna... And that thing is killing me. It's like working on a damn car!

So for my next project, whenever I have time or funds, I want to go old, simple, and highway ready. I'm not really looking for a slab rider, as I've got a KLR now and I've developed a taste for the ol' two-lane highway.

So what is something I could pick up as maybe even a basket case for little $, but build into a reliable rider? I'd like to stay away from bikes with notorious electrics, because wiring isn't really my bag. And I don't want any windjammers/vetter or anything of that bolt-on touring crap.

I guess what I'd like to find is an old naked GL1000 to bring back to life... My dad says a buy he works with has what sounds like an R60 but he probaby won't sell it.

I'm open to more exotic ideas, but I don't want another V-4 with 2 fuel tanks and 4 feet of fuel lines!
have you ruled out a 70's era Guzzi? It will cost you more to buy in than a Japanese bike, but once you're there the cost of ownership seems to be very low and resale remains solid if you change your mind.

I've worked on most of the same Hondas that tbirdsp has (not coincidentally - those are the common ones), and I can say from experience that both the price and availability of parts for Guzzis, at least all the necessary ones, are similar to or better than Honda.
Yad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #17
ADK
____

Oddometer: 7,976
Looks like the CX jugs would get in the way if you are long legged.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:51 AM   #18
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,121
Once I get it running . . .

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #19
305racer
Fossil Rocket Pilot

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yad
have you ruled out a 70's era Guzzi? It will cost you more to buy in than a Japanese bike, but once you're there the cost of ownership seems to be very low and resale remains solid if you change your mind.

I've worked on most of the same Hondas that tbirdsp has (not coincidentally - those are the common ones), and I can say from experience that both the price and availability of parts for Guzzis, at least all the necessary ones, are similar to or better than Honda.

+1
I think the Amabassadors and Eldos get overlooked cuz people think Italian=expensive. I have seen alot in the $1500 range that are solid bikes but need alittle cleaning up which takes more time than money.
Besides a Guzzis jugs are nice and perky unlike the saggy ones on those B brand German bikes
Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #20
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
After V65 Magna an early 80s V45 Interceptor or Sabre or any shaft drive Suzuki (G) Yamaha 920 Euro model (82?83) or 89-93 VX800 Suzuki great rides,
Cheap is usually a matter of chasing a lot of possibities or knowing someone who does, trading time for money.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 AM   #21
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,470
Here's my choice for a Vintage Tourer... A set of bags on the ass end and a bigger tank bag, we're off.
I'm a tad biased as Guzzis have been part of my life for twenty-five years...

Excellent weather protection to gaurd against fatigue, 50+ MPG, lots of power even two-up, all around great machine. Usually can be found for a reasonal price.

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #22
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,600
Quote:
So how long before your ST counts as a vintage touring bike Mike?

I like those CX500s, although you are right they are ugly. I was trying to read up once and it seemed like they might have had some niggling faults to them but they seem like a bike you could bum across the country without having to worry about anybody trying to steal it
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/480038472.html

There's been a dude trying to sell a Yamaha with a funky-cool aftermarket fairing on it for quite a while now, can't find the ad though. He started at a grand and was down to 800 last time I saw.
I think 15 years old is the definitioin of vintage, so one more year for the ST
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...orcycleriders/
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/480038472.html

There's been a dude trying to sell a Yamaha with a funky-cool aftermarket fairing on it for quite a while now, can't find the ad though. He started at a grand and was down to 800 last time I saw.
I think 15 years old is the definitioin of vintage, so one more year for the ST
I would be all up on that bike but I don't have time or money for it now

Stop sending me ads guys, you'll only make me feel bad!

Actually, a Guzzi would be pretty sweet. I don't know what the odds of finding one around here would be though.

El Guero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #24
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK
Looks like the CX jugs would get in the way if you are long legged.
They're pretty far forward and out of the way of your knees. It is a relatively small bike, though, compared to today's touring mounts.

Austin, the only trouble I remember on the CXs was a cam tensioner problem in the '78 and '79 models. The manual adjust tensioner was replaced with an automatic one in '80, IIRC. Shaft drive, liquid cooling, pretty low maintenance. There was a series of articles a few years ago about a couple who rode one all over Central America. The Standard is the one to look for (or SilverWing), not the Custom. Better riding position, larger tank, roomier seat....

McB screwed with this post 11-16-2007 at 12:06 PM
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #25
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi
Here's my choice for a Vintage Tourer... A set of bags on the ass end and a bigger tank bag, we're off.

Excellent weather protection to gaurd against fatigue, 50+ MPG, lots of power even two-up, all around great machine. Usually can be found for a reasonal price.

I just spanked out a load over your bike pictures.

I'm sorry.

I feel dirty, and my girlfriend is pissed.

I hope we can still be friends. Nice bike.

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #26
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi

Yes most definately a great looking bike!!!
Had the choice between a SP1000 (blue) or the black G5 1000. I went G5 with a Vetter fairing and bags.
My first touring bike,bought new in '81. Left Chicago and came home 3 months later with 14K miles. Adjusted the valves once in Lost Wages NV,broke a speedo cable in Montana,picked one up later in San Fran CA,changed the oil at least once I recall. Try to find a vintage picture and will post.

here we go..Yellowstone in 1981

BMWRich screwed with this post 11-16-2007 at 02:23 PM
BMWRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #27
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Those Guzzis are nice, almost too nice! I think I'm just going to have to scan craigslist for a while now and see what I find.

Although I think the the perfect find right now would be a basket case GL1000 with decent furniture for something like $300. Or free if you haul it yourself Did I mention I want to spend very little?

El Guero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #28
Yad
yet another dave

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Those Guzzis are nice, almost too nice! I think I'm just going to have to scan craigslist for a while now and see what I find.

Although I think the the perfect find right now would be a basket case GL1000 with decent furniture for something like $300. Or free if you haul it yourself Did I mention I want to spend very little?
If you want to spend very little, a basket case GL1000 might surprise you. And the cheapest one to buy might cost you the most in the end. As an example before you jump in, price a carb rebuild kit and multiply by four. Then check out charging system, compression, water pump - problems there can mean engine out. That engine looks much easier to work on than it is.

These bikes are very reliable once sorted and there's lots of good info, check out www.randakks.com

So don't dismiss it completely, just don't go into it thinking it will be a cheap walk in the park.
Yad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #29
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Old Bike Barn, I think, helps.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #30
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Large bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpony
I'm amazed at all the old Goldwings (1000-1100) that are on the market or under tarps just waiting to be taken home. I've swapped around and owned a couple of Interstate models. Fairly easy to work on except for the electrics. Had to put a geo alt on one, dumb ass idea having alt INSIDE engine. I put an automotive "mud grip" tire on the rear and had a large time trucking along on dirt roads. They don't fall over too far, but they ain't easy to pick up. Mike
Yeah, I used to be in love with Goldwings, until a friend got an old GL1000, and asked me to help work on some electrical problems. One of the 'problems' was a dead alternator. That required pulling the engine to fix. Boy was THAT fun.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote