Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
SAM7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
To HD Purists. New Street 750. KID's BIKE after CHICK's BIKE?

What are your thoughts about the new Street Series? Some says, it might punch a hole in Jap cruiser's sales... Some says it will punch a hole in Harley Davidson's image...
Me? Well, considering that HD have made a scooter, and few 125cc motorcycles; I don't think it'll affect HD's image... Its a nice move IMO to attract young people towards the brand and I see no problem in that... Besides who hates to say: "Yo! I've got a Harley!"
Anyhow, Its a nice looking bike albeit a bit small physically for anyone over 5'10... And since I'm 6'2; I'll prefer The Vulcan 900 or a clean looking air cooled V-Star 950 cause they've got the dimensions and presence of an HD Softail and costs well under $10k! Cruisers are all about "BIG" and The Kawasaki & Yamaha ticks just that!!! Can't say that for The Street....
SAM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
I'm not an HD owner or purist, but IMO, HD missed an opportunity to start positioning themselves to expand beyond their cruiser/bagger base by offering a practical, mid-displacement standard with a lightweight, responsive chassis to compete against the Bonneville and its derivations, something that evoked their dirt trackers of the past but went beyond being merely image bikes to offer a truly competent platform for future variants. The current faithful wouldn't touch it, but they won't have much use for a 750 cc cruiser either.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
Iranian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
That's exactly mine opinion. Imagane a 500/750 cc road king, switch back or softail heritage classic That would be spot on for me!
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
I'm not an HD owner or purist, but IMO, HD missed an opportunity to start positioning themselves to expand beyond their cruiser/bagger base by offering a practical, mid-displacement standard with a lightweight, responsive chassis to compete against the Bonneville and its derivations, something that evoked their dirt trackers of the past but went beyond being merely image bikes to offer a truly competent platform for future variants. The current faithful wouldn't touch it, but they won't have much use for a 750 cc cruiser either.
Yup. Something like this, IMO.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Yup. Something like this, IMO.

I dunno...Ascot and Street looks pretty close to me. I never thought that until you posted the picture of the Ascot. I think HD came pretty close to what PalePhase said they should have done.

Correct if I missed the point.
gus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 639
LOL @ "Jap"
GoonerYoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
I don't think a lot of people remember or care about Aermacchi or HD scooters nowadays. I know about them and I barely care at all.

Otherwise, I'm waiting to ride one so I can write it up and flesh out my thoughts.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
I'm a HD owner not a purist, I thinks it's good when a MOCO makes a new model even if I don't buy one. I sort of like the new HD's except what I've read about the lack of ground clearance. Chicks bike well to me any bike that a chick owns is a chick bike. Kids bike, any kid that can afford a new bike I'll take my hat off to them, I certainly couldn't afford a new bike when I was kid.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,326
I have had Harley's in the past, and they make nothing I want now.
The new bikes are a good thing I would think, lots of power for the motor size, lower prices.

They have not made a good standard motorcycle in a long time though, and still don't, and likely never will.

Lighter weight, low center of gravity, 5 inches of suspension travel, frame size to fit a 6 foot person with mid pegs.

I think the solid mounts were the last good bikes in the sportster range, then they turned into mini big twin semi chopper looking things, low, low seat, forward controls, goofy handlebar setup, heavy, very little suspension and heavy. And low.

The new bikes have more power, and are cheaper, but they are still heavy, small and low.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
LOL @ "Jap"
Don't like Jap bikes?

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
DaveB74
n00b

Oddometer: 8
The VT500 Ascot is so far ahead of it's time. 35 degree v-twin 500, lots of smooth power to 8k, shaft drive, liquid cooled, and 6 speed, along with dirt track styling similar to the XR750.

My lovely wife has one and loves it. It is near bullet proof.
DaveB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
It will be fun to test ride one of the 500's or 750's , you just never know ,they could turn-out to be the next big thing for HD .
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #13
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
I'm not an HD owner or purist, but IMO, HD missed an opportunity to start positioning themselves to expand beyond their cruiser/bagger base by offering a practical, mid-displacement standard with a lightweight, responsive chassis
Why would they do that?

They made a standard in 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012... GREAT bikes but They didn't sell very well.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Why would they do that?

They made a standard in 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012... GREAT bikes but They didn't sell very well.
Yeah…but if HD is reading this, I'm one customer who only owns a Harley because they built a STANDARD.

First time I ever walked into a Harley shop was to look at the new XR1200. It appealed to me.

Came close to buying one, but bought a touring bike instead, which has turned into a bike a really really like.

I like the possibilities of the Street 750, and I really like some of the pics of modded ones I've seen.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
Don't we already have this thread somewhere else?
Just sayin'.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote