User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Life longevity 150 vs 250

Hi there, I want to ask about engine longevity. I know it is very subjetive but lets asuume that the basics are the same, good oil, timely change and love the same way. Which would last longer? The 150 or the 250?

The riding conditions are as follow:
a) Rider is 180 lbs (and droping)
b) Driving this bike would be on city streets and local hwys (no interstate) and under 70 mph, often under 55

Since I am moving and making my coomute a lot longer in miles and having longer sections of hwy that is why I am considering a 250 cc bike instead of the 125-150 thumpers, but since they cost twice I have to wonder if they last twice as long or about the same.

So comments please

Thank you

Damasovi
Old 04-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,806
Since your commute is longer and you expect to spend more time at hiway speeds, I would think that a 250 would be an absolute minimum.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
stevo7706
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
about the same, if 100cc cost twice as much then you'll have to decide if it's worth paying for, not based on longevity, but other factors.
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
OP, it does not really work that way, i.e., a 1 litre bike would not necessarily last longer than a 200cc bike.

It's about engine stress. And of course engine design and quality. Amount of heat, oil, cooling, stroke, compression... Etc.. The whole CC thing is mainly the "stress" component.

My mate works in a scooter shop, and there are some scary high-mileage 50cc scoots out there.

You'll get tons of views on this, but really you need to take both options for a test ride and see which appeals, or seems "over-stressed" with your desired riding.

Saying all that you cannot beat CC's.... :)
Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
There are so many factors that influence engine longevity that you haven't provided, its impossible to say. Some engines will run at full power 24/7 for months at a time and be completely reliable. Other engines are so high strung that they only last a few hours with intermittent full power.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
danptobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Whichever one you beat the crap out of the least will last longer. If you need to keep the throttle pinned most of the time it wont last as long as a bike that you dont have to keep at wide open throttlr that long
danptobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

ok, I had the idea that more cc's meant at least a longer life for the engine, if all things are taken care of.

The driving I have done with a 150 and 250, I know that I am pushing the 150 much harder to make passes, but all roads have multiple lanes and it is not a problem, and it can do 50 mph easily with at least 10-15 more miles as a top speed. The 250 has a lot more after 60, 75? as a top speed, but it is taller and gets 20-30 less mpgs and maintenance cost must be higher since it uses an oil filter (unlike the 150 that you only wash the oil filter and reused it)

Thanks for the replies

Damasovi
Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
There are so many factors that influence engine longevity that you haven't provided, its impossible to say. Some engines will run at full power 24/7 for months at a time and be completely reliable. Other engines are so high strung that they only last a few hours with intermittent full power.
such as? I would like to get more, but I am unsure what other info it is missing. My assumptions were that I will run the same speeds, 50-60 mph hwy and city street speeds. The 150 will run higher rpms than the 250 neither has a tac no so way of knowing for sure, but I have driving both bikes.

I change the oil pretty much according to the manual, by the time or the millage.

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 04-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
A high-performance 4-stroke will have very short piston skirts to reduce friction. It may have only 1 piston ring (a compression ring) to save friction. These pancake pistons don't last long, however. A piston designed for longevity will be heavier with long piston skirts to spread the loads on the piston. High-performance 4-strokes have high-lift cam profiles that pop the valve open quickly. This puts lots of stress and wear on the cams and other parts of the valve train. In contrast, long-life engines have gentle cam profiles that wear much longer and don't require frequent valve adjustments. High compression engines make more power than lower compression but also must endure more stress. And so on...
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:08 AM   #10
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
What make and model of bikes are you actually talking about? That will help make a call....
Old 04-10-2015, 04:52 AM   #11
stevo7706
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
If longevity is important and the 250cc cost twice as much. I would buy the 150cc and when it wears out....buy another one.
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
What make and model of bikes are you actually talking about? That will help make a call....
well I was thinking about 2 hondas, the XR150L or the Tornado 250, I have had both in the past so I know what they fell like (one was stolen and the other I had to sell it), like both.

Damasovi
Old 04-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #13
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo7706 View Post
If longevity is important and the 250cc cost twice as much. I would buy the 150cc and when it wears out....buy another one.
aa this is like very simple.. and it works.

Damasovi
Old 04-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
ok, I had the idea that more cc's meant at least a longer life for the engine, if all things are taken care of.
Yes it would if everything else is equal.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #15
zedro
Lukewarm Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Yes it would if everything else is equal.
Err...but what's equal? Ringing it out or doing the speed limit? I think this question can't be answered, OP needs to ask specific bike vs bike, and how he's gonna use it. I think this needs to be moved to the WRR regret thread based on potential controversy
zedro is offline   Reply With Quote