Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #136
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonymalc
Just curious, how much do you weigh, I am around 300 lbs and seem to be doing ok with the shock, I did found out that you cant run it at the reconmended pressure for weight. I have it at about 110-115 and the bike just works. When I had it around 140 as per BMW weight specs the bike was great on the road but sucked in the nasty.
I'm 230 geared up, but heading south of that ever so slowly

IMHO, the shock would be OK for local use, and enjoying the ride. What I don't like is the the way the shock reacts to heavy use, and the situation that would unfold if it failed. Where I like to go, failure would be a bad thing, so I chose to go hydraulic and eliminate that scenario altogether.

If I never planned to be in very remote places with the bike, I'd live with the OE shock just fine.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #137
Cail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
Did you get new front rims too?
Who is this?

I'm assuming you saw the bike after the rally. Yes apparently the stock wheels are very soft. The front wheel resembles a stop sign right now. Since BMW decided to use an odd sized spoke, you can't just order up an Excel and lace it yourself. You have to send it to Woody's and have him re-drill (actually countersink, I think) the hub. It has to be done fairly precises or you'll never get it trued. The plan was to mount the exhuast, shock and a few other goodies tonight and tomorrow night. Then suspension test all weekend and send the front wheel and hub off on Monday. But Ohlins sent us the wrong shock. They sent us a shock for the F650 Dakar. So now we have to wait till Tuesday to have the shock.

Has anyone tried removing the kickstand kill switch? How about the clutch sensor? Dashboard? We're trying to lighten this thing up, but with all that wiring attached to the dashboard we're not sure we want to even attempt removing it.

One last question. I have seen photos of some of you with enduro style front fenders (I think Smithy? has an acerbis). Anyway, most enduro bikes have four bolts that go into the bottom of the lower triple clamp to hold the fender on. This thing has 2 from the bottom and 2 from the front. How did you guys mount the fenders? Before we reinvent the wheel and make a bracket (we already have a couple ideas), I figured I'd see what you all have done.

Gaspipe, so far we're having alot of fun build a BMW to go desert racing. Normally you buy a new XR 650R, buy a bunch of ready made parts, bolt them on and go racing. It's kind of cool being the guinea pig, test riders, racers, parts makers (I wanted to use the word fabricators, but we are in no way fabricators). You should see the cool little al strap we made to hold the top of the shrouds together so we could get rid of the decorative airbox cover, so we can actually change an air filter in a race. When we get this thing done, I'll shot some photos and post them up.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #138
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Has anyone tried removing the kickstand kill switch? How about the clutch sensor? Dashboard? We're trying to lighten this thing up, but with all that wiring attached to the dashboard we're not sure we want to even attempt removing it.

I did. I removed the sidestand switch. You need to connect the red and the white wire. I also removed the clutch switch. You need to connect the two wires together.

About the dash, it's one big multi-connector. I haven't found a pin layout yet. I would like to know which wires I need for the temp, fuel and neutral light, so I can ditch the dash one day and only use a few warning lights.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:24 AM   #139
W8-4IT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe

Insanity is a direct result of to much reality
W8-4IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:34 AM   #140
bruceride
City Boy

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8-4IT
Zack, go see mine when you pick up your baby. Mark put it on the bike yesterday - can't wait for the snow to melt enough to ride it!
bruceride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:36 AM   #141
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cail

One last question. I have seen photos of some of you with enduro style front fenders (I think Smithy? has an acerbis). Anyway, most enduro bikes have four bolts that go into the bottom of the lower triple clamp to hold the fender on. This thing has 2 from the bottom and 2 from the front. How did you guys mount the fenders? Before we reinvent the wheel and make a bracket (we already have a couple ideas), I figured I'd see what you all have done.

... When we get this thing done, I'll shot some photos and post them up.
The small dashboard just unplugs BUT it is real small and weighs nothing. I say keep it. BMW also made the wiring harness extra long so it can be relocated farther out or up like on a rally bracket.

Jacksplash picked up 2 acerbis front fenders, one for me and one for him. I chose to stick with the stock fender (Acerbis is too rounded and does not blend with the rest of the bikes styling). I believe jack just fabricated a small section of alum angle to mount his.

Post pic soon please!!!

Pine Barons Enduro RidersSupporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #142
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378
All I can say is keep those developments coming
Old 12-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #143
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
[quote=Cail]Who is this?

I'm assuming you saw the bike after the rally. Yes apparently the stock wheels are very soft. The front wheel resembles a stop sign right now.

Saw it at Iron Horse last week. Max said you did real well on it. Been in the lurk mode regarding the X and have decided to check it out. Been riding GS's since '92 and it's time for a change. Best of luck racing that X and hope you do well.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #144
Cail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
Been in the lurk mode regarding the X and have decided to check it out. Been riding GS's since '92 and it's time for a change. Best of luck racing that X and hope you do well.
Ours is kind of stripped down right now. Should have it back together to ride Sat. afternoon and Sunday. If you want to take it for a spin, I'm sure we could set something up.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #145
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378
Gaspipe,

I hope you can give us a comprehensive review of the Ohlins shock with a long term update in a separate thread.

I was watching Helge Pederson's instructional dvd and he quotes his Ohlins sponsors saying that the Ohlins shocks are great on road but are not good off road, as they tend to have seal failures and are not suited for off roading.. Didn't make sense, but he was quoting by name the head honchos at Ohlins.. I'd put a shock sock on it, just to be sure it's not being contaminated with dirt.

He also mentions that his Ohlins shock on his GS collapsed when he was riding in Africa and we know that Charley and Ewan's Ohlins shocks on their GS's also succumbed to harsh conditions.

It will be interesting to see how yours holds up.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #146
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974

I mounted a UFO fender by using the stock holes in the back and a small chunk of alum angle stock. Have a dremel handy to elongate the holes as needed.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:35 AM   #147
W8-4IT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft

I mounted a UFO fender by using the stock holes in the back and a small chunk of alum angle stock. Have a dremel handy to elongate the holes as needed.
I love the head light conversion Was it a difficult fab job?

Old 12-08-2007, 03:45 AM   #148
W8-4IT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceride
Zack, go see mine when you pick up your baby. Mark put it on the bike yesterday - can't wait for the snow to melt enough to ride it!
Are you in the shop today? I'll stop over to see your setup for sure. I may not take the bike home until next week, since I won't have the truck.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #149
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Picked up my seat today.

James doesn't know maybe, but he has an affiliate in the Netherlands.

Suede on top, and faux leather on the sides.

On the bike:

I had it made at Rayz.nl (and he swore he would never do an Xchallenge seat again).
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #150
GB007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Cool seat! You keep your bike inside your home? I'm going to have to convince my wife...
GB007 is offline   Reply With Quote