Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #1516
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutch
Crankshaft was seen cutting up the OE pipe...

Don't know how that ended???

-Kutch
I'm trying to locate a spare exhaust to use while I butcher mine. I ride a lot, so I would hate to make a mistake and not be able to ride it for a few days.

If I can't find a loaner, I'll gut mine after the P2D rally
Old 06-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #1517
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
I'm trying to locate a spare exhaust to use while I butcher mine. I ride a lot, so I would hate to make a mistake and not be able to ride it for a few days.

If I can't find a loaner, I'll gut mine after the P2D rally
Aaron,

PM me your address and I'll send you my OE muffler as a loaner.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:47 AM   #1518
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by shardzero
Proposing that the frequency of stakes wedging in between the engine guards is something to be concerned about is something I still find ridiculous.

I don't understand why you must discredit my ability to ride a motorcycle and write in English in order to argue whether a branch is a concern. I agree my post contained many errors and that I did not take the time and care required when posting as I feel I do with my other posts. I apologise for my poor post and will edit it now.

If you need to be pedantic, I spoke of branches, you apparently spoke of track markers standing upright. I would agree that the latter increase the chances of wedging over the former.
Just to add some details to the subject from someone who thought it wouldn't be necessary to have either the guards or the larger plate ...

* fixing the snapped shaft 1300+, and
* two months without bike (had it for a week so far so hope work was properly done by the BM dealer)

In the other hand,

- TT large bash plate ~350
- BMW Engine guards ~200 ...
- Weaken the original ~0

It may vary of course depending on your country but I'd guess the ratio should remain
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #1519
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
TT medium bash plate & BMW engine guards - not compatible

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
... I'm gonna give those BMW engine guards a try, along with the TT medium bash plate with a dollop o' sound-deadening material.
Well, I'm reporting back to say this combo does NOT work. At least without making some cut-outs in the TT "small" bash plate, which I am not equipped to do. The flared bits on the side of the bash plate intersect the space occupied by the engine protection bars midway back.

Drag, because I just scuffed up the TT plate in preparation for adding the Dupi-Color sound-deadening spray, making the plate non-returnable.

For now I feel the guards and stock bash plate provide better protection than the TT bash plate alone, so I'm going to use that combo until I figure out how to proceed. I need something for the Shelton Valley Adventure Rally this coming weekend.

Before The Nez I might let my machinist friend have a go at the TT bash plate. Just need to cut about a half inch off each side. Oh, and BTW, the oil drain cutout on the TT bash plate did not line up. Apparently German engineering is not as precise as one might hope.

Rob in Seattle

Edited to correctly refer to TT part name.

robhar54 screwed with this post 06-22-2008 at 01:53 PM
robhar54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #1520
NoExit
NoProblem

Oddometer: 343
What is the "TT medium bash plate." On the TT site, I see the large plate, the small plate, and the rallye plate. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Well, I'm reporting back to say this combo does NOT work. At least without making some cut-outs in the TT medium bash plate, which I am not equipped to do.
NoExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #1521
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExit?NoProblem
What is the "TT medium bash plate." On the TT site, I see the large plate, the small plate, and the rallye plate. Am I missing something?
Oops. You are correct, the one I have is the TT "small." Sorry about that.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...o?sku=049-0212

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/me...0212-01-lg.jpg

However, it's not exactly the same shape as the one shown in this photo, it does not have the holes for attaching the rubber bumpers, and it does have an oil drain hole (albeit misplaced.) That's the part number I ordered though. TT must have updated the part.

Rob in Seattle
Old 06-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #1522
shardzero
I have a bike.....

Oddometer: 486
In TT images they fit the BMW bars with the TT large plate. I thought this was the combination you were trying.
shardzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #1523
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
In TT images they fit the BMW bars with the TT large plate. I thought this was the combination you were trying.
Hm...I haven't seen those images. Can you point me that way?

I just fitted the BMW OEM engine guards for the X-Moto. I was trying to mount them with the TT small bash plate. That's the combo that didn't work. I will take photos tomorrow morning. Picture being worth 1000 words n' all.

Rob in Seattle
Old 06-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #1524
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Hm...I haven't seen those images. Can you point me that way?

I just fitted the BMW OEM engine guards for the X-Moto. I was trying to mount them with the TT small bash plate. That's the combo that didn't work. I will take photos tomorrow morning. Picture being worth 1000 words n' all.

Rob in Seattle
They appear all over the 2008 catalog. Maybe also on their web site, haven't check tho
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 AM   #1525
shardzero
I have a bike.....

Link here, 4 th page of google G650+touratech! The large plate comes out almost and inch from the frame at the front.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #1526
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197
Anyone actually using the hard panniers on a XChall?

I see'm in the catalogs' but not on the board: Does anyone actually use Zega's or Moto-Sports on their XChall?

I'm kinda intrested in mounting slim's on there for a trip around Colorada next summer - but I'm concerned about the weight - Even a couple of duffles makes my X feel a bit sluggish - so naturally I'm a bit shy on the idea of bolting 20-30lbs of rails and boxes to the ass end BEFORE putting stuff in them.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #1527
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
Help with dual tank install

As some of you know, I'm trying to fit two sub tanks to the XC to give me extra-extra range... Does anyone have some suggestions for venting both sub tanks? I imagine if I vent as per the accepted norm, by attaching the feed from the X-Tank into the underseat tank vent... Then the Safari tank will have fuel higher and this will cause problems with both sub tanks fitted.

Some guys with the Safari tanl have fed into the underseat tank via Max's method instead of drilling the main tank and installing petcocks. But I'm not sure I can feed both tanks this way at the same time?

I will most likely have to install my Safari tank with petcocks and the X Tank feeding via the bikes vent, but will I then have to run a vent hose from the polysport cap up to the front of the bike so it is venting above the cap of the safari tank!? Can I have both sub tanks venting seperately? What happens when one tank empties?

I'm so confused???

I have also posted this in the X Tank thread because I need advice.

Thanks

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #1528
shardzero
I have a bike.....

You could use a hand wind pump (see model plane shops) to fill the original tank from the rear sub tank and forgo plumbing issues.

I think if you plugged the new sub into the vent line you would need to plumb the new sub vent up an over the TT high fuel mark or you will leak fuel until level with the rear vent. Alternatievly you could install a dune flag and zip-tie the sub vent onto this. Either way I reccomend the zeta one way valves so when you fall the fuel stays inside. Works a treat when you need to drag a bike under or across something too.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #1529
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
You could use a hand wind pump (see model plane shops) to fill the original tank from the rear sub tank and forgo plumbing issues.

I think if you plugged the new sub into the vent line you would need to plumb the new sub vent up an over the TT high fuel mark or you will leak fuel until level with the rear vent. Alternatievly you could install a dune flag and zip-tie the sub vent onto this. Either way I reccomend the zeta one way valves so when you fall the fuel stays inside. Works a treat when you need to drag a bike under or across something too.
Cheers.. Will be looking at it and scratching my head on it tomorrow. I did think of the flag idea but crossed that off the list. I might look like one of those three wheel shopping carts the old folk get around in with a dune flag fitted

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #1530
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Hey Guys...

Any thoughts on front fender packs? Am contemplating getting one to distribute the gear i carry...our front fender doesn't seem to hold a fender pack well...any thoughts on a special pack that works well?

Thanks as always!

Nadim