User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #3811
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,576
2 options?

It looks like the only options are, (unless someone in Europe jumps in)...Get things sent to Australia but pay Stefan and then Cruz sends to the states or would it be cheating if he sells the items to Cruz but sends them to the states (to each/ to one location who sends them out)? He's not selling anything, just shipping and we get him paid through Cruz...we pay Cruz? Either way, if we want to do this it seems it'd be to give Stefan the business but with the back and forth the group buy discount may be negated with the extra time/shipping costs.

Not too familiar with the procedures so just throwin' out ideas.
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #3812
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Round the world case savers trips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer
2 options?

It looks like the only options are, (unless someone in Europe jumps in)...Get things sent to Australia but pay Stefan and then Cruz sends to the states or would it be cheating if he sells the items to Cruz but sends them to the states (to each/ to one location who sends them out)? He's not selling anything, just shipping and we get him paid through Cruz...we pay Cruz? Either way, if we want to do this it seems it'd be to give Stefan the business but with the back and forth the group buy discount may be negated with the extra time/shipping costs.

Not too familiar with the procedures so just throwin' out ideas.
Sounds like DiscoDino in NYC was willing to be railroaded into being the US coordinator...

How's this for an idea, no obligation of course, just trying to keep the ball rolling:
1. If shipping 1 item to Oz costs 12€ (US$16) then Cruz could you ask Stefan how much weight a box with 10 of them would be, and how much it would cost to ship 10 to Oz? (My assumption is there is a lot of overhead for the first item and 10 would cost much less per item.)

2. Then figure how much shipping 10 (ok 9) with the above weight would be from Oz to NYC.

3. Then DiscoDino figure how much shipping 1 from NYC to LA (farthest point away) would be. (guessing US postal small pkg flat rate of $4.95 can't be beat?)

4. From this figure out the 3 shipping costs for 1 item and that is roughly what it would cost each of us. From that we could have a price estimate good for 10 or more. IF more than 10 then the cost per person would only be less, not more. I'm not sure about any customs charges however, is anybody?

5. Then given a max shipping total, post what each inmate would have to pay total and people would have enough info to decide. Make a separate thread with a deadline that explains it all, and indicates how much we each pay to Cruz (part plus 2 shipping paths), and to DiscoDino (1 ship path in US). We each pay up front via PayPal. Then Cruz places firm order.

For example... I looked up UPS.com prices from Brisbane, AUS post code 4000 to NY, NY USA 10001 and it was outrageous (like $260 cheapest for 5 kg). But... I looked USPostal service USPS.com flat rate for 5 lbs FROM USA TO AUS is only $13. I don't know what it is from AUS TO USA and if there is a flat rate which is MUCH cheaper. And I don't know about customs in that case?

OK what a hassle but it's up to Cruz and DiscoDino... unless we have a European inmate willing to bypass the first long (and not very green) extra shipment....

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #3813
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,784
It is Easter Friday here so no Post Offices open until Tuesday.

I will get a price for what one may cost to the US and then a price per kg to the US.

Any idea what these may weigh?

From this end there should be no customs charges if it is under $1000 aud including postage.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #3814
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker
Sounds like DiscoDino in NYC was willing to be railroaded into being the US coordinator...

How's this for an idea, no obligation of course, just trying to keep the ball rolling:
1. If shipping 1 item to Oz costs 12 (US$16) then Cruz could you ask Stefan how much weight a box with 10 of them would be, and how much it would cost to ship 10 to Oz? (My assumption is there is a lot of overhead for the first item and 10 would cost much less per item.)

2. Then figure how much shipping 10 (ok 9) with the above weight would be from Oz to NYC.

3. Then DiscoDino figure how much shipping 1 from NYC to LA (farthest point away) would be. (guessing US postal small pkg flat rate of $4.95 can't be beat?)

4. From this figure out the 3 shipping costs for 1 item and that is roughly what it would cost each of us. From that we could have a price estimate good for 10 or more. IF more than 10 then the cost per person would only be less, not more. I'm not sure about any customs charges however, is anybody?

5. Then given a max shipping total, post what each inmate would have to pay total and people would have enough info to decide. Make a separate thread with a deadline that explains it all, and indicates how much we each pay to Cruz (part plus 2 shipping paths), and to DiscoDino (1 ship path in US). We each pay up front via PayPal. Then Cruz places firm order.

For example... I looked up UPS.com prices from Brisbane, AUS post code 4000 to NY, NY USA 10001 and it was outrageous (like $260 cheapest for 5 kg). But... I looked USPostal service USPS.com flat rate for 5 lbs FROM USA TO AUS is only $13. I don't know what it is from AUS TO USA and if there is a flat rate which is MUCH cheaper. And I don't know about customs in that case?

OK what a hassle but it's up to Cruz and DiscoDino... unless we have a European inmate willing to bypass the first long (and not very green) extra shipment....
I'm willing to do this...no issues from my part...USPS flat-rate would be best I suppose.

Re: import fees/taxes, I recently imported the UniFilter pre-filter from Australia and I didn't get charged import taxes...same for when I imported a "used" car part from Canada...

Cruz: seems weight per item is 0.3KG as per the website. UniFilter charged me ~$20AUST for shipping the filter in a box, should be the same (or less) for the protectors.

Stephen should be able to give us a good price for 10, all black I suppose to make things easier, no?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #3815
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Agree with that DD however I think I can only do 9 items at a time max otherwise I would get hit with customs and import duties over here. This would depend on the total cost of the items from Stefan and the shipping of course. 10 items may come under the 999 if the discount and freight adjustment is good enough.

Definitely all black to save any confusion.

I know with bicycle parts I can only order up to $999 including freight otherwise I will be charged a couple of hundred Aud more.

I have previously sent things to the USA via Australia Post about the same size/ weight and it only cost around 5 - 10 Aud per item.

May be worthwhile starting a new thread on Thumpers for this so people get to read it. I presume it would fit the X Country as well?

xronly

Cruz screwed with this post 04-01-2010 at 10:57 PM
Old 04-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #3816
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz
I have previously sent things to the USA via Australia Post about the same size/ weight and it only cost around 5 - 10 Aud per item.
That's good to hear!
Quote:
May be worthwhile starting a new thread on Thumpers for this so people get to read it. I presume it would fit the X Country as well?
Sounds like a good idea to have a new thread. Need to keep track so the guys here keep their place in line if we end up having a limited order amount. And be very clear on exactly which part is being ordered (and in black), just provide a link. Did Stefan confirm it is black, and you might ask him how long to ship 10 or however many black ones in case he has to make them first....

As far as fitting the Xcountry, that is what I have, and I assumed from Stefan's web page that it just said "X" bike that it would fit. We need to confirm this somehow - maybe the BMW engine fiche would confirm the OEM sprocket cover is common on all 3 since the Xch, Xco and Xm all share the same engine? And ask Stefan.

THANKS YOU GUYS!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #3817
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
I'm willing to do this...no issues from my part...USPS flat-rate would be best I suppose.

Re: import fees/taxes, I recently imported the UniFilter pre-filter from Australia and I didn't get charged import taxes...same for when I imported a "used" car part from Canada...

Cruz: seems weight per item is 0.3KG as per the website. UniFilter charged me ~$20AUST for shipping the filter in a box, should be the same (or less) for the protectors.

Stephen should be able to give us a good price for 10, all black I suppose to make things easier, no?
Quote:
Agree with that DD however I think I can only do 9 items at a time max otherwise I would get hit with customs and import duties over here. This would depend on the total cost of the items from Stefan and the shipping of course. 10 items may come under the 999 if the discount and freight adjustment is good enough.

Definitely all black to save any confusion.

I know with bicycle parts I can only order up to $999 including freight otherwise I will be charged a couple of hundred Aud more.

Hey guys thanks for stepping up and trying to do this.

The black one looks great for sure.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #3818
Skelt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
LongTallSally just moved to Germany I think. He might be able to help out. Anyone know him well enough to ask? I'm in for a black one anyway it works out.

Don

2007 K1200 GT
1995 R1100GS
2001 F650 GS/Dakar
Skelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #3819
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

European inmate shipper/organizer needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelt
LongTallSally just moved to Germany I think. He might be able to help out. Anyone know him well enough to ask? I'm in for a black one anyway it works out.
Don
I had an unrelated PM to lewiss66 who I don't know... but turns out to be in France and I gently referred to this thread as well, no pressure but maybe if somebody knows this person, well you could offer our indebtedness at the very least? SVP... merci

Old 04-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #3820
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelt

Don
I PMd LTSally to get his thoughts and will let you know what he says. If he can help us...or whoever can I think we should help them out a bit too for the troubles.
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #3821
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer
I PMd LTSally to get his thoughts and will let you know what he says. If he can help us...or whoever can I think we should help them out a bit too for the troubles.
I'm happy to receive and send on a parcel. Easier to keep the middle person within europe, if you can't manage germany, to reduce shipping costs.

Iain

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #3822
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

You are a good man Jester.

xronly
Old 04-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #3823
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
You are a good man Jester.
x2!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #3824
kpie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Thumb I'm in.

Count me in for one. Salt Lake City, Utah.
kpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #3825
vince taylor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
one more

I am in for a black one ! vince taylor, Sequim, Washington.