Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #4051
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon
What kind of rear brake pads are the best?
I had to stop a Colorado ride a day early because my rear pads wore out!
My bike has 8,000 miles on it and I have been through two sets of pads.
Is 4,000 miles per set normal?

TIA
It really depends on how you ride and what you ride in. If you ride in a lot of wet sandy stuff it will get on the rotors and wear out the pads while you ride. Also some people tend to rest their foot on the brake pedal while riding so it drags a lot. My bike has almost 4K on it and mine are still in great shape, however I only use the rear brake in slow decents down steep grades, or on the road when I want to stop quickly and I use the front and rear in concert.

When mine are gone I will replace them with EBC pads. I am just not sure which ones would be best for both dirt and street riding. Also my front rotor has warped, I might try to get it replaced under warranty, not sure if they will go for that or not.

[edit]

Here is a cool chart, I guess EBC only makes organic for the G650 Xchallenge.

http://app.bobscycle.com/AP/AP.EBC.STREET.BMW.HTML
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 08-06-2010 at 09:37 AM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #4052
Don't shoot me!!!
Snowflakes are cold...

Oddometer: 569
Wink

So i finally got my finger out of my ##^% and got me a Kahedo Seat from Germany...

This guy really do an outstanding job:-)
iv'e had Kahedo seats before, but the one he made for the x is absolutly fantastic :-)

not shure if any innmates have the German seat, but i will recomand it to those who's looking for an option ;-)

My Seat is made 30 mm higher than standard, but he allso make them low/standard...

Pictures coming up as soon i'll find a computer.
Don't shoot me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #4053
aussiestrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Extra Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4
So I finally installed my Acerbis rear tank. Went pretty smooth and came out clean. I did drill a hole in the rear plastic to run the fuel line so I didn't have to worry about pinching it every time I replaced the seat. Looking forward to the added range.
Hey Cycleman, this looks like the best solution I have seen so far in terms of the delicate balance between simplicity, looks, price, and ease of use. Thanks for posting.

I have a few questions - (i) did you have to buy an additional mounting kit, or were you able to bolt it directly to your TT rack?
(ii) I see that it comes with a petcock. What did you buy in terms of the fuel line connections?
(iii) I know it has been less than a week, but what do you think of it so far? Would you go this option again?

Thanks mate (PS - I have PM'ed you on this as well)

TIA
Previous rides: ST1300; G650Xch; KLR650; ST1100; WR250F; K100TIC; K100RS; K75s; R100RS; R100/7; K100; XV1000; GS450s; GT250
aussiestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #4054
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiestrider
Hey Cycleman, this looks like the best solution I have seen so far in terms of the delicate balance between simplicity, looks, price, and ease of use. Thanks for posting.

I have a few questions - (i) did you have to buy an additional mounting kit, or were you able to bolt it directly to your TT rack?
(ii) I see that it comes with a petcock. What did you buy in terms of the fuel line connections?
(iii) I know it has been less than a week, but what do you think of it so far? Would you go this option again?

Thanks mate (PS - I have PM'ed you on this as well)

TIA
So far I like it a lot. I just used a TT plate I sourced from ebay and mounted the tank to that and the small TT rack I had. I use both so that in a tip over the wider Plate would give the tank some protection. The kit came with everything needed. The fuel line just connects to the top of the breather. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Cycleman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #4055
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
Tbarstow- Where did you get the sheets of unifilter foam? Great job on the protection. Anything less looks like it could contaminate. I'd better go check mine.

I bought the Unifilter foam at Cyclegear. You should be able to get it online or at a cycleshop.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #4056
aussiestrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4
So far I like it a lot. I just used a TT plate I sourced from ebay and mounted the tank to that and the small TT rack I had. I use both so that in a tip over the wider Plate would give the tank some protection. The kit came with everything needed. The fuel line just connects to the top of the breather. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Sweet. Thanks mate
Previous rides: ST1300; G650Xch; KLR650; ST1100; WR250F; K100TIC; K100RS; K75s; R100RS; R100/7; K100; XV1000; GS450s; GT250
aussiestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #4057
luc boxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
My BMW G650XChallenge

luc boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #4058
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,522
License plate reflectors wanted

All you guys with license plate mounting brackets laying around...

I'll give you $10 for a pair of these reflectors (with nuts) off the sides of the license plate mounting bracket:

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #4059
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker
All you guys with license plate mounting brackets laying around...

I'll give you $10 for a pair of these reflectors (with nuts) off the sides of the license plate mounting bracket:
Let me look around the shop tonight. If I still have my broken bracket I will mail them to you for free.

Rob
2011 North up the CDR

Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #4060
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
Let me look around the shop tonight. If I still have my broken bracket I will mail them to you for free.

Rob

If Rob can't put his hands on his reflectors I think I still have mine. Same deal, N/C. Just let me know.

Scott
Old 08-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #4061
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Thanks guys for the reflectors, I have fixed my FARFS problem (Floppy Ass Rear Fender Syndrome) even with leaving the license plate holder on.

Perhaps I can trade you something back ? H'ow bout a sheet of stainless wire mesh you can put over your radiator as a guard?

FYI here are some pics of my XCountry on the passes around Telluride, CO last weekend.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #4062
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Thanks guys for the reflectors, I have fixed my FARFS problem (Floppy Ass Rear Fender Syndrome) even with leaving the license plate holder on.

Perhaps I can trade you something back ? H'ow bout a sheet of stainless wire mesh you can put over your radiator as a guard?

FYI here are some pics of my XCountry on the passes around Telluride, CO last weekend.
No trade, I like people to owe me.

Seriously though, if I make it up to CO again next summer with my dual sport I might want to get some GPS tracks from you for some good rides in that area.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #4063
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
No trade, I like people to owe me.

Seriously though, if I make it up to CO again next summer with my dual sport I might want to get some GPS tracks from you for some good rides in that area.
uhhh... i don't "do" GPS :) but I can help still! thanks!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #4064
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
uhhh... i don't "do" GPS :) but I can help still! thanks!
Hey, good news, I have what you need. PM me your address and I will get it in the mail.

As far as CO is concerned before my next trip I will PM you and let you know where I will be riding and if you have any good advice for the area I will take it.

Rob
2011 North up the CDR

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 08-21-2010 at 09:55 AM
Old 08-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #4065
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
Do it!

Pulls much better and I now get nearly 10 miles further on a tank of fuel. Must be way over geared from stock.
Fitted the 14 tooth from Stephan and took it for a good ride on the weekend.

I can't believe how much it has changed how this bike rides and runs, both on and off road.

A lot less gear changes and also less using the torque of the motor to get going again, and runs a bit higher revs on the road but runs smoother for it. Mileage did not seem to suffer and seeing as how it was ridden harder than usual it is possible that the mileage may even be the same or better.

I understand that running 14/47 gives a high ratio of same link to same tooth use, but do people see a lot of extra wear because of this?

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote