Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #4441
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Because the stock rad is not full width; it has the header bottle at the left end. The rad I am planning is full width, with the header mounted behind the rad. This gives the rad a larger volume and frontal area, improving cooling.
It also needs to work with the TT tank.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #4442
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace View Post
It also needs to work with the TT tank.
True, but the dimensions will be identical to the TT rad so we should be fine.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #4443
Tomdog
Mapaholic

Oddometer: 307
Thermostat

Will your new improved Radiator have a thermostat installed?
I don't think the TT radiator has one.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #4444
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdog View Post
Will your new improved Radiator have a thermostat installed?
I don't think the TT radiator has one.
No it hasn't. I need to get my std rad off to have a look at how it is fitted

Old 02-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #4445
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Had a look at the stock set up today. The left end is made of plastic and contains the thermostat housing with the outlet directly below the inlet. It allows cold water to bypass the rad by letting it flow from the top to bottom within the left end. As the water heats, the stat closes this route and the water has to flow across the rad and back to get to the outlet.

The TT rad does away with the stat and mounts the header behind the rad. allowing the rad to be wider. The water goes in the left and out the right. If I get this rad made it will be the same as the TT rad.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #4446
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Had a look at the stock set up today. The left end is made of plastic and contains the thermostat housing with the outlet directly below the inlet. It allows cold water to bypass the rad by letting it flow from the top to bottom within the left end. As the water heats, the stat closes this route and the water has to flow across the rad and back to get to the outlet.

The TT rad does away with the stat and mounts the header behind the rad. allowing the rad to be wider. The water goes in the left and out the right. If I get this rad made it will be the same as the TT rad.
I just happen to have the front end out of mine so I took a picture today and I'm posting it up to assist the communication

Mine is the std setup
Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #4447
rcwrx
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I have been xchallenge user since july 2010 and was a Ktm 640 ADV 03 user for about 2 years. I am pretty happy with my xchallenge, but I made some small mods by myself, which I really needed for long trips and they will continue. As many rally fairings are far expensive, I decided to make a rally fairing style windscreen from plexiglass. For mounting the windscreen I used Kawa Versys 08 windscreen mounts through the existing headlight mount. I have searched many many windscreens which are still being sold at the market, but non of them satisfied me with their design. As I am an architect I made a basic drawing after demounting the headlight and I used a fume plexiglass and bend it with conventional style of heating through my pre-aliminium model. I left a clear space between the handlebar and windshield inorder to mount my Garmin 60csx and I am still preparing a metal mount base for the gps. Also to complete the design I also made a headlight protector :). Also I have modified my seat with black suede for non slipping and added a second hand hepco gobi topcase for long trips beyond my softcases like walter...Another one is the exhaust mod, a cheap and very good solution as FMF Q4 powerbomb exhaust tube...Here is the result:

(If anybody needs the drawings of my mods I can send them in any format)

rcwrx screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 08:09 AM
rcwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #4448
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer View Post
I just happen to have the front end out of mine so I took a picture today and I'm posting it up to assist the communication

Mine is the std setup
I had my radiator off this week and gave it a soak and careful scrub but it still doesn't flow well in the central part of the rad. Looks like a replacement is called for.

While it was off I took several photos and detailed measurements to send to the fabricator. I hope to hear back this week to see what he thinks. The plan is to make a high capacity radiator similar to the TT rad. It would be nice to have the stat in it but that would be difficult to achieve. By removing the stat and moving the header tank space is freed up to create a larger radiator.

It would be useful to hear from anyone who has installed the TT rad. How well does it work? are there any issues with removing the stat?

Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #4449
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
It would be useful to hear from anyone who has installed the TT rad. How well does it work? are there any issues with removing the stat?
I think the only issue, or actually a result of not having a thermostat there is that it takes a bit longer for the engine to reach normal operating temperature.

I'm interested in the replacement rad, but def. would want to make sure it is a quality unit, as well.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #4450
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 544
This screen is not my taste but I have maximum +1 respect points for you for building it. It sure looks like it will cut down the wind from the front and maybe if you angle it right it could pick up the wind behind and make you faster?
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #4451
Mtrain
free range

Oddometer: 438
Mate, that top box looks like a great way to break your sub frame. Any weight in that puts lots of leverage on just the point that they break.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #4452
rcwrx
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrain View Post
Mate, that top box looks like a great way to break your sub frame. Any weight in that puts lots of leverage on just the point that they break.
I know all the problems about subframe, but this is for city commuting :) I will use my soft cases for soft enduro riding and the metal frame of topcase is going to be used for carrying my tent just 2.5 kg... Thanks anyway :)

rcwrx screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 10:58 AM
Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #4453
rcwrx
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
This screen is not my taste but I have maximum +1 respect points for you for building it. It sure looks like it will cut down the wind from the front and maybe if you angle it right it could pick up the wind behind and make you faster?
I have adjusted its angle and size as just same with G450 speedbrain rally fairing. Hope it works!!!

rcwrx screwed with this post 02-28-2011 at 10:56 AM
Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #4454
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 544
It looks good. I wanted to make one myself but no skills with forming plastics. I put a short screen on mine and it made a huge difference so I expect yours will be ideal.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #4455
rcwrx
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
It looks good. I wanted to make one myself but no skills with forming plastics. I put a short screen on mine and it made a huge difference so I expect yours will be ideal.
You dont need any skills for sure i can send you the dxf or cad drawing, and you can make it cut by a router or cnc machine then from bending lines you need a wire with electricty passing through thats all..I can give much more info if you need...