Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #4486
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
fair enough, good to have some discussion ... I thought the question was needed. Otherwise we would look more like fanatics rahter than being reasonable on what are the bike capabilities. Remember that one bike may not be an example (Walter case) as a bad one isn't either.

For instance my bike has a much better life than Walter's however I had to adjust valve clearences at 40000K which still is pretty good. Also my bike had the shaft broken on a 10k an our lay down .... I know I suck as rider, nevertheless was something to address

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
I've seen a 950 ADV rear swing arm break on this board, some F800 issues, some 1200GS issues...I've seen a KTM 200 break the steering neck in person (the dude was flogging it like he stole it!)...

Bottom line: everything tends to break if it is being flogged hard...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
How many?

Only heard of 4 so far counting this one. One smashed the sidestand mount off and broke the frame there, 2 others have broken the swingarm like Snooker, which I think is more to do with a failed shock and severe bottoming out, and this one. If they were having inherent frame problems I think Walter would have found it out a few times over by now, plus a lot of others on here who ride them long and hard. If they pack right and pack light there should not be problems.

How many broken frames on Te610s, LC4s, XRs etc?

Any using a non steel frame have a greater chance of breaking.

Any bike being overloaded for its suspension or carrying capacity has a good chance of being damaged. Some people load the rear frames of bikes up incorrectly with all the weight out the rear.

These are Enduro bikes, which were never designed originally to carry that kind of weight and that kind of gear on them, what is really at fault here?

The owner or the bike designer/builder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike,p View Post
What he said!

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #4487
mike,p
WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 753
Cool2 Point taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
fair enough, good to have some discussion ... I thought the question was needed. Otherwise we would look more like fanatics rahter than being reasonable on what are the bike capabilities. Remember that one bike may not be an example (Walter case) as a bad one isn't either.

For instance my bike has a much better life than Walter's however I had to adjust valve clearences at 40000K which still is pretty good. Also my bike had the shaft broken on a 10k an our lay down .... I know I suck as rider, nevertheless was something to address
Well,l I never liked Kool Aid even when I was a kid. The X challenge is still a GREAT BIKE and there are many examples of bikes that have served the owners very well indeed, There are ALWAYS things about any motorcycle that make me scratch my head and think WTF!
mike,p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #4488
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike,p View Post
Well,l I never liked Kool Aid even when I was a kid. The X challenge is still a GREAT BIKE and there are many examples of bikes that have served the owners very well indeed, There are ALWAYS things about any motorcycle that make me scratch my head and think WTF!
+1

Where my X-CH is concerned, I often wonder what I would replace it with if I were to get the notion. And so far the answer is, for the type of riding I do with it nothing is better suited.
That's for me though .......
*2012 Gas Gas TXT250 **2014 Beta 520RS
*2014 Ural Patrol
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #4489
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
+1

Where my X-CH is concerned, I often wonder what I would replace it with if I were to get the notion. And so far the answer is, for the type of riding I do with it nothing is better suited.
I wish I could put the X engine in my KLR. I think I would be good to go!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #4490
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
+1

I don't know either... There really isn't anything else quite like it. A 450 would be better in the woods but worse on the road, an 800 is better on the roads but worse in the woods.
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #4491
mike,p
WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 753
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_Evans View Post
I don't know either... There really isn't anything else quite like it. A 450 would be better in the woods but worse on the road, an 800 is better on the roads but worse in the woods.
Exactly!
mike,p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #4492
Dominus
WSMC#931

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwrx View Post
...Another one is the exhaust mod, a cheap and very good solution as FMF Q4 powerbomb exhaust tube...Here is the result:

(If anybody needs the drawings of my mods I can send them in any format)

I'm curious to see how that FMF pipe fit up on your bike. Was it much of a hassle or did it drop right in? Also, besides the sound, has performance been affected much?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #4493
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
WTB stock headlight

Hey there - broke my headlight glass today as I was re-installing the HID set-up , saw that it was +$300 on Max's fiche!!!

Anyone selling their OEM after going to another set-up?

Thanks!
Nadim

UPDATE - love this "family" on ADV...found one!

DiscoDino screwed with this post 04-10-2011 at 03:40 PM
DiscoDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #4494
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
Hey there - broke my headlight glass today as I was re-installing the HID set-up , saw that it was +$300 on Max's fiche!!!

Anyone selling their OEM after going to another set-up?

Thanks!
Nadim

UPDATE - love this "family" on ADV...found one!
check you PMs.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #4495
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quick fix that will eliminate the "Leo Vince exhaust toasts coolant hose" problem:

Dump the supplied exhaust hanger bracket that attaches to the carbon fiber clamp. Drill & tap the front hole to 8mm. Loosen the header bolts and bolt the CF clamp directly to the rear subframe.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #4496
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
yikes, keep an eye on that sub frame!
Niedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #4497
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Oddometer: 2,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renazco View Post
I snagged this photo from Motoged's ride report and was curious if anybody has heard of something similar happening to the frame/swing arm mount?

Looks like where mine broke I had about 1500 miles on it then(still rockin the tourances) The mount for the sidestand switch hangs below the rest of the bike and likes to grab rocks as you ride. I removed the sidestand switch,metal gaurd for the switch and ground the metal for a little more clearance. Let's see if I can find a pic

The hard part has been groung down as well

Same pic....different location.....I'm glad I was a few miles from home, and it was rideable

A little blurry, but you can see where the frame section snapped below the swingarm, taking out a bolt boss on the engine case as well.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #4498
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Oddometer: 2,815
Found a little better photo

Old 04-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #4499
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Hey Rob, how good would the standard Buell light setup be compared to the oem light?

Is the Hid worth all the extra work and hassle?
I switched back to halogen lamps 2X H7 wired through relays. I still have the diode so both relays fire on high beam, anda the voes is nice too, I did have to add a vacuum check valve so the light did not go off at WOT, and it drains down after 30 seconds without the engine running. I guess I should bore you all with another wiring diagram, but I just don't have the energy now.

Anyway, I am getting really nice light out of the Buell housing with the standard H7 bulbs, so I am done with this. Really nice light, nice pattern, and my trip meter and clock stay right.

Sweet!

2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #4500
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
FinnDuro's Xchallenge R

It's been a long and cold winter here in Finland, resulting in cabin fever of the worst kind. Had lots of ideas to work & modify on my X, wanting to roughen it up a bit, give a little extra punch, lose some weight maybe + do all sorts of other cool things to make it an "Xchallenge R". Then all of the sudden spring is here, and my bike is in bits all over the garage!

Well, as with many freshened up models, it foremost comes down to this: Bold New Graphics! Man, you would not believe how fast I feel now.

Fairings sanded, painted and newly stickered for the Motorrad race replica looks. Design by yours truly. Fork guards feature the 2011 International Six Days Enduro graphics - highlighting 2011 ISDE Finland.

Well, there's bit of this and that behind the pretty looks, to warrant at least some of that R-stature. Larger diameter Remus headpipe into custom made even larger mid-pipe into the standard X3, with baffle and spark arrestor. Air filter remains unchanged from the past, Unifilter foam filter. To make things spring to life, there's then a Power Commander V tapped in, unit sitting below the seat pan. With these mods, as I've noted on the PC V thread, this bad boy now wants to lift the front wheel with very little effort.

So, I had to add some weight up front, you know, to balance all that newly unleashed power. OK, some aluminium plate bent up in all directions, lots of wiring, and one boat anchor called Hella Bi-Halogen 90mm should do the trick. I wanted a bit of race-replica attitude shine through, and this single eyed beast gives it the looks, and should give out a nice beam pattern, currently with H7.

I finally wrapped it in the corporate off-road guise, front beak and light mask out of Husky's new TE449.

I just need to bolt on a bash plate, handguards and finish up with some wiring for the GPS and other blinkers, and head off to pester local 690 riders.

EDIT: Pic with missing bits bolted on, wirings & 'angel eye' for parking light.

FinnDuro screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 03:20 AM
FinnDuro is offline   Reply With Quote