ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #4531
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
MizzouRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fly over zone
Oddometer: 1,725
Skidplate

This may not be allowed.. (Guess I'm doing it anyway.)

I have my name on a list for a skidplate for my XC. Andrew Gore makes them. At least he did a few years ago. He used to charge $150.
He was looking at adding a toolbox to the skidplate.
He's looking at getting back into production.
(He also makes a nice tail tiddy.)
If he can get 10 people signed up he'll make another run.. Hopefully with the toolbox. (I am not sure.)
Here's a link if anyone's interested.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=98

I have the black plastic one on my X now. It works great, but takes six men to put it back on, once I've removed it. I'm tired of fighting it.

Here's the whole thread if you want more info.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450898
Jeff
__________________
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 AM   #4532
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer
 
dirtsurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: between the bings
Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
I've got the TT tank on my G650X and noticed that one of the fuel lines is a bit frayed--can anyone recommend some good replacements? I have seen quite a few posts criticizing the TT fuel lines but not any specific replacements?
There is nothing wrong with the TT stuff, you can get the same stuff on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3M-x-8mm-...#ht_2444wt_961
__________________
Tappet cover grinder
Avoid the Gavel, travel by gravel
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #4533
plumber mike
Born again
 
plumber mike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: South of North Dakota
Oddometer: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
This may not be allowed.. (Guess I'm doing it anyway.)

I have my name on a list for a skidplate for my XC. Andrew Gore makes them. At least he did a few years ago. He used to charge $150.
He was looking at adding a toolbox to the skidplate.
He's looking at getting back into production.
(He also makes a nice tail tiddy.)
If he can get 10 people signed up he'll make another run.. Hopefully with the toolbox. (I am not sure.)
Here's a link if anyone's interested.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=98

I have the black plastic one on my X now. It works great, but takes six men to put it back on, once I've removed it. I'm tired of fighting it.

Here's the whole thread if you want more info.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450898
Jeff
If you look at his skid vs. Scheffelmeier you will notice that Andrew's are missing the angle stock that runs under the engine. That makes it a much weaker piece IMHO. I'd sell you mine to help fund my new one from Germany.....but it is hammered(literally hammered back out away from engine). I'm not trying to bash Andrew's product as it has likely saved me from a new engine case, but it does have a design flaw.....for me.....and I will go with Scheffelmeierw/toolbox of course. Touratech also uses angle stock in stainless steel for added impact protection. Maybe Andrew could add this to his 2nd run. It would make all the difference.
__________________
2002 Yamaha PW80 don't break it dad!
1996 Honda XR250R just right.
www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #4534
Colebatch
"Moto Porn"ographer
 
Colebatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Schmocation
Oddometer: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike View Post
If you look at his skid vs. Scheffelmeier you will notice that Andrew's are missing the angle stock that runs under the engine. That makes it a much weaker piece IMHO. I'd sell you mine to help fund my new one from Germany.....but it is hammered(literally hammered back out away from engine). I'm not trying to bash Andrew's product as it has likely saved me from a new engine case, but it does have a design flaw.....for me.....and I will go with Scheffelmeierw/toolbox of course. Touratech also uses angle stock in stainless steel for added impact protection. Maybe Andrew could add this to his 2nd run. It would make all the difference.
A couple of other points worth noting for skid plate buyers ... the skid plates above are 1/8" aluminium ... which is 3 mm ... Scheffelmeier is using 4 mm as well as the strengthening angle on his regular bashplates.

Scheffelmeier is also using 7020 and 6082 aluminium rather than 6061. 7020 is the ultimate aluminium alloy to use when welding. All aluminium alloys lose strength when welded, but 7020 is pretty unique in that it age hardens the weld and regains most of the original metals strength within a couple days of the welding. .... I am not sure if the 7020 is now in all his bash plates or still being phased in. When I saw him late last year he was talking about moving towards increasing use of 7020 in his products - It may be that he is using 7020 on key panels and 6082 on less critical panels - I really dont know for sure. But I know he is using a fair bit of 7020. Even the 6082 has a fair bit more strength than the 6061.

Again I dont know what the latest is with his regular bash plates, but I know he is making use of additional mounting points for the most recent of his gear I have seen (which is a bike getting kitted out in the workshop now with a rallye bash plate). My own experience is that the 2 holes in the alloy frame downtubes into which the front of most bashplates are screwed, are weak and prone to failure, as the threads start stripping after a few big hits. I had mine drilled out from M6 to M8 to M10 ... and they kept losing the thread. This is a shot of the additional M10 mounting points via mounting plates, bolted right through the engine as well as the frame, that Scheffelmeier has on his rallye plate:



And cause I know I will get asked ... yes I have snuck a few pics of his rally plate onto my camera ... which can house a battery or tools at the front ... actually its designed to hold both ... battery in the compartment and a tool bag strapped to the loops above the battery compartment. But I guess you could leave the battery where it is and put tools in the compartment and strap something else above there.





His stuff isnt the cheapest kit out there, but if you are looking for a state of the art XC skid plate with tool space / battery space / both ... it does exist. - He just doesnt update his website very often!
__________________
*** New Sibirsky Extreme Trail DVD Trailer HERE ***
Moroccan Extreme 2011 DVD available HERE
World Motorcycle Altitude Record video HERE
Sibirsky Extreme - The Home of Adventure Motorcycling in Siberia and Mongolia - On Facebook

Colebatch screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 10:48 AM
Colebatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:54 AM   #4535
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
MizzouRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fly over zone
Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike View Post
If you look at his skid vs. Scheffelmeier you will notice that Andrew's are missing the angle stock that runs under the engine. That makes it a much weaker piece IMHO. I'd sell you mine to help fund my new one from Germany.....but it is hammered(literally hammered back out away from engine). I'm not trying to bash Andrew's product as it has likely saved me from a new engine case, but it does have a design flaw.....for me.....and I will go with Scheffelmeierw/toolbox of course. Touratech also uses angle stock in stainless steel for added impact protection. Maybe Andrew could add this to his 2nd run. It would make all the difference.
Looks like I better do a little more homework.. What does Scheffelmeier get for a skidplate?
I've been through a bunch of passes in CO, all over Big Bend TX, Indiana, and Missouri with my plastic one. It's got some good scrapes in it, but seems to get the job done. I just hate puting it back on once I've removed it.
Maybe Scheffelmeier's is a little over kill, just for me, you younger guys ride a lot tougher stuff than I do.
__________________
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #4536
Colebatch
"Moto Porn"ographer
 
Colebatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Schmocation
Oddometer: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
Looks like I better do a little more homework.. What does Scheffelmeier get for a skidplate?
I've been through a bunch of passes in CO, all over Big Bend TX, Indiana, and Missouri with my plastic one. It's got some good scrapes in it, but seems to get the job done. I just hate puting it back on once I've removed it.
Maybe Scheffelmeier's is a little over kill, just for me, you younger guys ride a lot tougher stuff than I do.
He has a regular model as well ... 150 EUR ... which doesnt have the toolbox and strap loops: http://www.scheffelmeier-metall.de/s...MSG650X10BL%26
__________________
*** New Sibirsky Extreme Trail DVD Trailer HERE ***
Moroccan Extreme 2011 DVD available HERE
World Motorcycle Altitude Record video HERE
Sibirsky Extreme - The Home of Adventure Motorcycling in Siberia and Mongolia - On Facebook
Colebatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #4537
Colebatch
"Moto Porn"ographer
 
Colebatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Schmocation
Oddometer: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
He has a regular model as well ... 150 EUR ... which doesnt have the toolbox and strap loops:

http://www.scheffelmeier-metall.de/s...MSG650X10BL%26
You can see the extra bracing / stiffener ribs he has put on the bottom plate in this picture (ribbed for your pleasure):
__________________
*** New Sibirsky Extreme Trail DVD Trailer HERE ***
Moroccan Extreme 2011 DVD available HERE
World Motorcycle Altitude Record video HERE
Sibirsky Extreme - The Home of Adventure Motorcycling in Siberia and Mongolia - On Facebook

Colebatch screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 04:37 AM
Colebatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:43 AM   #4538
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
MizzouRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fly over zone
Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
He has a regular model as well ... 150 EUR ... which doesnt have the toolbox and strap loops: http://www.scheffelmeier-metall.de/s...MSG650X10BL%26
I went through the four pages (twice) but could not find the bash plate with the tool box. Is it special order?
Thanks for the link.. Lots of good stuff there.
__________________
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #4539
Colebatch
"Moto Porn"ographer
 
Colebatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Schmocation
Oddometer: 3,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
I went through the four pages (twice) but could not find the bash plate with the tool box. Is it special order?
Thanks for the link.. Lots of good stuff there.
i just dont think he has updated his website in a while
__________________
*** New Sibirsky Extreme Trail DVD Trailer HERE ***
Moroccan Extreme 2011 DVD available HERE
World Motorcycle Altitude Record video HERE
Sibirsky Extreme - The Home of Adventure Motorcycling in Siberia and Mongolia - On Facebook
Colebatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #4540
Niedz
Studly Adventurer
 
Niedz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Oddometer: 609
im anxiously waiting for my scheffelmeier, i ordered the normal one, no toolbox.
my total WITH shipping from germany to pennsylvania was 161,72 converts to ~$235. Not too bad if you ask me.
__________________
fabrication fun, rack n roll
Niedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #4541
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
You can see the extra bracing / stiffener ribs he has put on the bottom plate in this picture (ribbed for your pleasure):
Not only is it a quality item that will protect your engine, but it looks damn nice too. Here is mine, I had to smuggle it in before he would ship to the US, well worth it.







__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT


AZ-Twin screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 03:49 PM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #4542
AWM
Beard Bros Racing
 
AWM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mom's house
Oddometer: 11,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Not only is it a quality item that will protect your engine, but it looks damn nice too. Here is mine, I had to smuggle it in before he would ship to the US, well worth it.












__________________
"Hes not called the Angry White Man for nothing,much more fitting then the,Unicorn Clouds and Happy Trees Man".... UpST8

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #4543
Trailace
Dumb Ass
 
Trailace's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Houston, Tx
Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike View Post
If you look at his skid vs. Scheffelmeier you will notice that Andrew's are missing the angle stock that runs under the engine. That makes it a much weaker piece IMHO. I'd sell you mine to help fund my new one from Germany.....but it is hammered(literally hammered back out away from engine). I'm not trying to bash Andrew's product as it has likely saved me from a new engine case, but it does have a design flaw.....for me.....and I will go with Scheffelmeierw/toolbox of course. Touratech also uses angle stock in stainless steel for added impact protection. Maybe Andrew could add this to his 2nd run. It would make all the difference.
Do you have a link to Scheffelmeierw/toolbox skid plate? I could not fine it on his web site.
__________________
Trailace
MotoCampers.com
Shouldn't You Be Riding/Camping?
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #4544
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace View Post
Do you have a link to Scheffelmeierw/toolbox skid plate? I could not fine it on his web site.
The best thing to do is email him.

kontakt@scheffelmeier-metall.de
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #4545
Niedz
Studly Adventurer
 
Niedz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Oddometer: 609
i just got my scheffelmeier skid plate today. the welds are amazing. it is very nice!
__________________
fabrication fun, rack n roll
Niedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014