User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #4561
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
TT install details...

Hey there, wanted to validate that if installing the tank by siphon into the OEM breather, all the lines are 1/4" (or 6mm). Thanks!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #4562
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
Hey there, wanted to validate that if installing the tank by siphon into the OEM breather, all the lines are 1/4" (or 6mm). Thanks!
Correct.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #4563
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks tbarstow!

Here's what i'm thinking in terms of fittings so that I can take the tank off easily for air filter maintaining and still have the ability to drain fuel from the tank if I need to spare some for a fellow rider...

1. Petcocks on both side...nothing new there...
2. Coming out of each petcocks, install a free flowing quick disconnect, so that I can use the on/off switch at the petcocks to manipulate the flow
3. This will connect to a shut off quick disconnect leading to a Y split, a filter, and then to the breather...so that fuel won't leak back from the lines as we disconnect...

Makes sense? Thinking of going with MotionPro for all these items..

Thanks for any feedback...I'm terrible at fuel stuff and electrical stuff...
Old 06-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #4564
Roof of Africa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Scheffelmeir is a ROCK STAR! I can't imagine the damage my motor would have taken (probably would have ripped off the rear oil lines) when my little incident occurred and the bike slowed from 70mph for a few hundred yards with most of the weight sitting right on the Schef guard -- and no damage to the motor at all!

Priceless. Thanks Scheff!

That is a serious failure. What do BMW say and are they going to pick up the tab? How many km. have you done and how much rough?
Roof of Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #4565
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Thanks tbarstow!

Here's what i'm thinking in terms of fittings so that I can take the tank off easily for air filter maintaining and still have the ability to drain fuel from the tank if I need to spare some for a fellow rider...

1. Petcocks on both side...nothing new there...
2. Coming out of each petcocks, install a free flowing quick disconnect, so that I can use the on/off switch at the petcocks to manipulate the flow
3. This will connect to a shut off quick disconnect leading to a Y split, a filter, and then to the breather...so that fuel won't leak back from the lines as we disconnect...

Makes sense? Thinking of going with MotionPro for all these items..

Thanks for any feedback...I'm terrible at fuel stuff and electrical stuff...

Been there with the quick disconnects. Problem is that the QDs don't flow at a high enough rate, so you'll find yourself running dry in the main tank first. The additional filter will be yet another constriction. Popping off a hose clamp to give a stranded rider isn't a big deal. I have yet to use the supertanker for this.

Probably the next biggest issue will be the main tank getting so full that you'll start leaking fuel around the main tank cap. Short of plugging the overflow holes, the next best solution is to run the main tank down, then turn on the petcocks for the big tank. ALWAYS keep in mind that when you fill the TT tank, there is a pretty good pressure head so it will gravity feed if the petcocks are open

I'll get some new pics of what I did plumbing-wise up this weekend.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #4566
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

That would be awesome! Thx tbarstow!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #4567
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof of Africa View Post
That is a serious failure. What do BMW say and are they going to pick up the tab? How many km. have you done and how much rough?
Full story of the snapped swingarm incident is HERE and the website I made to report it to BMW is HERE.

It happened with about 7000 miles on it and 5 months out of warranty (I bought it with 3000 miles and 2.8 years old). Most of my miles were pavement but I did take it on about 5 weekend trips on very rough off-road. I'm sure the crappy OEM Sachs shock on the XCo bottomed enough to weaken it, but I would slow down to avoid bottoming for the most part, and do not think I abused it.

After much trouble on my part I got BMW to pay for parts and I paid for dealer labor. This is old news so please don't ask more questions without reading my links above first, as not everybody else wants to hear it all again. Thanks.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #4568
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

TT tank plumbing revision

I got tired of running the main tank dry and still having an almost full TT tank when running at highway speeds, then having to pull over and wait for gas to transfer via the siphon install.

Originally, I put a couple of dry breaks that I had from BMW in the tank cross over and to the final siphon line.

First change: Turn the petcocks around to lose the silly bends that put the fuel line too close the exhaust header.

Second change: Reroute the fuel line so it only requires removing the line from one petcock to take the tank off.

The only reason I have the tube connector after the T and going to the tank vent/siphon input is that I didn't have a single piece of fuel injection line that was long enough.

The biggest issue I have now is that the main tank fills too fast and leaks around the TT gas cap at a rather alarming rate. Going to switch back to the OEM gas gap and see if the leakage is less.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #4569
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Thx man! Do we need to use EFI line or anything of high quality would do? Would prefer translucent so I can see flow)? 1/4" as well (another thread referred to 5/8") to confirm...
Old 06-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #4570
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Thx man! Do we need to use EFI line or anything of high quality would do? Would prefer translucent so I can see flow)? 1/4" as well (another thread referred to 5/8") to confirm...
You need 1/4" ID line. The fuel pump can generate quite the vacuum, others have had problems with regular fuel line collapsing, then subsequently leaking.

I would love to have a section of clear line, but unless you have bubbles in it, you wouldn't see anything moving anyway.

What would be a real benefit would be a translucent tank, or at least translucent parts of the tank, so you could tell how much gas you have.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #4571
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks a lot tbarstow, the pictures make it very clear, and the explanations are great...ordering fuel injection hose, ss clamps, and a brass t piece...should be straight forward...

Appreciate the help!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #4572
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
+1
thanks for sharing TBarstow

Quote:
Thanks a lot tbarstow, the pictures make it very clear, and the explanations are great...ordering fuel injection hose, ss clamps, and a brass t piece...should be straight forward...

Appreciate the help!
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #4573
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Test ride confirms that it all works well:

Old 06-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #4574
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
nice vid ... what bars do u use? I'm looking to get a higher with less sweep ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Test ride confirms that it all works well:

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #4575
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
nice vid ... what bars do u use? I'm looking to get a higher with less sweep ...
Those are Renthal bars. I don't remember which model. They're almost too high now after putting on the Emig Racing steering damper.