ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #4981
azgsa
Apathetic
 
azgsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ
Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Does anybody run a Wilbers shock on their XChallenge? I need somebody to compare my XCountry experiences with.
Yep.
__________________
AARG!
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #4982
Butters
. . . . . .
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 2,324
I run Ortleib (backroller) bags on HB racks as well as a Pelican case on the rear rack. I'm really happy with this setup. I'm sure wolfman bags are similar.


I keep my tools and more valuable stuff in the pelican and the bulkier stuff in the bags (also tubes/oil). This setup still allows me room to add a duffel on top if needed. I can mount my tent and sleeping pad in front of the Pelican case too with plenty of room.

I have a 1.1 gallon KTM auxiliary tank that will eventually go inside the right side rack. I just need to finish fabbing up some mounts. The Ortliebs have been totally waterproof and durable.
__________________
Marc
07 XChallenge
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #4983
Tomdog
Mapaholic
 
Tomdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Kiwi on the Gold Coast. Australia
Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I run Ortleib (backroller) bags on HB racks as well as a Pelican case on the rear rack. I'm really happy with this setup. I'm sure wolfman bags are similar.


I keep my tools and more valuable stuff in the pelican and the bulkier stuff in the bags (also tubes/oil). This setup still allows me room to add a duffel on top if needed. I can mount my tent and sleeping pad in front of the Pelican case too with plenty of room.

I have a 1.1 gallon KTM auxiliary tank that will eventually go inside the right side rack. I just need to finish fabbing up some mounts. The Ortliebs have been totally waterproof and durable.
I'm interested in that KTM Aux tank, not for fuel but water. Any more details or photo's please?
__________________
07 X-Challenge
Tomdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #4984
Butters
. . . . . .
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 2,324
I stole the idea from another inmate, Oggi. I haven't mounted anything yet, so no pics. But here's a link to his post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1031



I can confirm it will fit under the HB racks as I have test fit mine - just haven't mounted it. Also note, the 1.1 gallon fits, but the 1.5 gallon won't (at least with HB racks).
__________________
Marc
07 XChallenge
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #4985
azgsa
Apathetic
 
azgsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ
Oddometer: 1,330
Rotopax mount

Opted for Rotopax mount inside Cortech tail bag to keep things clean and less stuff hanging off bike. Was going to mount it directly to the aluminum tail plate I made and then devise a way to attach the bag on top, but bag has plenty of room for me on day trips even with the can in it and I like the clean look.

Rotopax inside unexpanded bag:




Rotopax out of bag:



Expanded bag (will fit a small child inside ):
__________________
AARG!
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #4986
Mtrain
free range
 
Mtrain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 437
Be careful with that fuel can mounted back there, its a good way to crack the sub frame. If you put weight forward of the first bolt hole for the racks/grab rails it is supported by the lower frame rail but from the first bolt back you have cantilevered weight and they tend to crack.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #4987
azgsa
Apathetic
 
azgsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ
Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrain View Post
Be careful with that fuel can mounted back there, its a good way to crack the sub frame. If you put weight forward of the first bolt hole for the racks/grab rails it is supported by the lower frame rail but from the first bolt back you have cantilevered weight and they tend to crack.
Thanks, I've read the subframe issue threads and have been planning on doing some subframe reinforcing soon along these lines:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=48

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=45
__________________
AARG!
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #4988
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,317
Any of you guys have Woody's Wheels on your Xchallenge? My front rim is bent slightly, and I think I might use this for an excuse to dump a stupid amount of money into a sweet set of wheels. In the name of safety of course.

So, I went out to woody's and filled out his form, but looking for any experience with Xchallenge wheel upgrades. Are billet hubs available, or do I just get my stock hubs powder coated black?
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #4989
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer
 
SCflyer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Back in NC
Oddometer: 1,560
Haven't gotten it on/offroad but repuation should be enough. Unless it's changed in the past couple years...you send the stock hubs and they put upgraded spokes and wheels no billets available.
__________________
"Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien
SCflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #4990
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer
 
DiscoDino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lebanon/NYC
Oddometer: 1,820
Rob, I am dismantling my wheels this Saturday and going for woody's. Keeping OEM hubs and everything else, going with the A60s F/R and the super lace option...1.6" wide front, 2.15 rear...
__________________
Adventurer transitioning from 4x4 to 2x1
'07 G650Xch - Under Mod-struction
DiscoDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #4991
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
Rob, I am dismantling my wheels this Saturday and going for woody's. Keeping OEM hubs and everything else, going with the A60s F/R and the super lace option...1.6" wide front, 2.15 rear...
That is the same setup I was looking at regarding rim size and make/model. You going to powder coat the hubs or just leave em nekked? Will woody replace the bearings seals and all that stuff?

Of course the million dollar question, how many duckets does somethign like this run?
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #4992
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer
 
DiscoDino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lebanon/NYC
Oddometer: 1,820
I'm keeping them nekked...no point as this isn't a show-bike...here's the email of the breakdown on costs:

Front 21 x 1.6 Black Excel A60-199
Rear 18 x 2.15 Black excel A60-229
Stainless spokes/nipples 135x2=270
Superlace/true-111x2=222

The total will be 920 + shipping, It will only take 2-3 days to get them done when we receive your hubs.


Frankly not a bad cost given their reputation and the fact that I'm choosing the strongest options (A60s, Superlace, big SS, etc...) I'm not worried...

Given that this is part of a ~$2,500 "investment", 40% into Woody's isn't bad

Oh, and it seems Woody's just opened a "service center", so the should be able to do the bearings as well?!
__________________
Adventurer transitioning from 4x4 to 2x1
'07 G650Xch - Under Mod-struction
DiscoDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #4993
plumber mike
Born again
 
plumber mike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: South of North Dakota
Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
That is the same setup I was looking at regarding rim size and make/model. You going to powder coat the hubs or just leave em nekked? Will woody replace the bearings seals and all that stuff?

Of course the million dollar question, how many duckets does somethign like this run?
Less than $1800. When I spoke with Woody about a year ago he said it would be less to bring my hubs to him than the wheelset out of the TT catalog.....if that helps. Plus, the TT wheels don't come superlace, but they throw in a set of hubs. I really want to do a Sumo and dirt setup so the extra hubs would be nice, but having stout off road wheels is paramount. I have fun on the pavement with the knobs. I'm heading down to the front range for easter and thought about stopping at Woody's ( for a different rim different bike) I'll let him know how much dough is coming his way
__________________
09 Xcountry slightly challenged ....and for sale
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=G650x

www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #4994
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
I'm keeping them nekked...no point as this isn't a show-bike...here's the email of the breakdown on costs:

Front 21 x 1.6 Black Excel A60-199
Rear 18 x 2.15 Black excel A60-229
Stainless spokes/nipples 135x2=270
Superlace/true-111x2=222

The total will be 920 + shipping, It will only take 2-3 days to get them done when we receive your hubs.


Frankly not a bad cost given their reputation and the fact that I'm choosing the strongest options (A60s, Superlace, big SS, etc...) I'm not worried...

Given that this is part of a ~$2,500 "investment", 40% into Woody's isn't bad

Oh, and it seems Woody's just opened a "service center", so the should be able to do the bearings as well?!

Cool, my guess is my setup will be very similar. Thanks for the info, be sure to post up a pic when you get em back!
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #4995
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike View Post
Less than $1800. When I spoke with Woody about a year ago he said it would be less to bring my hubs to him than the wheelset out of the TT catalog.....if that helps. Plus, the TT wheels don't come superlace, but they throw in a set of hubs. I really want to do a Sumo and dirt setup so the extra hubs would be nice, but having stout off road wheels is paramount. I have fun on the pavement with the knobs. I'm heading down to the front range for easter and thought about stopping at Woody's ( for a different rim different bike) I'll let him know how much dough is coming his way

Dam, if I ever spend $1800 on a set of wheels for a dual sport bike, I will be sure to mount up some Cheng Shin tires and snap a couple pics so all you boys got something to laugh at!

I think I will go with woody -vs- Touratech.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014