Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #4981
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Does anybody run a Wilbers shock on their XChallenge? I need somebody to compare my XCountry experiences with.
Yep.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #4982
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
I run Ortleib (backroller) bags on HB racks as well as a Pelican case on the rear rack. I'm really happy with this setup. I'm sure wolfman bags are similar.

I keep my tools and more valuable stuff in the pelican and the bulkier stuff in the bags (also tubes/oil). This setup still allows me room to add a duffel on top if needed. I can mount my tent and sleeping pad in front of the Pelican case too with plenty of room.

I have a 1.1 gallon KTM auxiliary tank that will eventually go inside the right side rack. I just need to finish fabbing up some mounts. The Ortliebs have been totally waterproof and durable.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #4983
Tomdog
Mapaholic

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I run Ortleib (backroller) bags on HB racks as well as a Pelican case on the rear rack. I'm really happy with this setup. I'm sure wolfman bags are similar.

I keep my tools and more valuable stuff in the pelican and the bulkier stuff in the bags (also tubes/oil). This setup still allows me room to add a duffel on top if needed. I can mount my tent and sleeping pad in front of the Pelican case too with plenty of room.

I have a 1.1 gallon KTM auxiliary tank that will eventually go inside the right side rack. I just need to finish fabbing up some mounts. The Ortliebs have been totally waterproof and durable.
I'm interested in that KTM Aux tank, not for fuel but water. Any more details or photo's please?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #4984
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
I stole the idea from another inmate, Oggi. I haven't mounted anything yet, so no pics. But here's a link to his post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1031

I can confirm it will fit under the HB racks as I have test fit mine - just haven't mounted it. Also note, the 1.1 gallon fits, but the 1.5 gallon won't (at least with HB racks).
Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #4985
azgsa
Apathetic

Rotopax mount

Opted for Rotopax mount inside Cortech tail bag to keep things clean and less stuff hanging off bike. Was going to mount it directly to the aluminum tail plate I made and then devise a way to attach the bag on top, but bag has plenty of room for me on day trips even with the can in it and I like the clean look.

Rotopax inside unexpanded bag:

Rotopax out of bag:

Expanded bag (will fit a small child inside ):
Old 04-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #4986
Mtrain
free range

Oddometer: 437
Be careful with that fuel can mounted back there, its a good way to crack the sub frame. If you put weight forward of the first bolt hole for the racks/grab rails it is supported by the lower frame rail but from the first bolt back you have cantilevered weight and they tend to crack.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #4987
azgsa
Apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrain View Post
Be careful with that fuel can mounted back there, its a good way to crack the sub frame. If you put weight forward of the first bolt hole for the racks/grab rails it is supported by the lower frame rail but from the first bolt back you have cantilevered weight and they tend to crack.
Thanks, I've read the subframe issue threads and have been planning on doing some subframe reinforcing soon along these lines:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=48

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=45
Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #4988
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Any of you guys have Woody's Wheels on your Xchallenge? My front rim is bent slightly, and I think I might use this for an excuse to dump a stupid amount of money into a sweet set of wheels. In the name of safety of course.

So, I went out to woody's and filled out his form, but looking for any experience with Xchallenge wheel upgrades. Are billet hubs available, or do I just get my stock hubs powder coated black?
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #4989
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Haven't gotten it on/offroad but repuation should be enough. Unless it's changed in the past couple years...you send the stock hubs and they put upgraded spokes and wheels no billets available.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #4990
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Rob, I am dismantling my wheels this Saturday and going for woody's. Keeping OEM hubs and everything else, going with the A60s F/R and the super lace option...1.6" wide front, 2.15 rear...
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #4991
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
Rob, I am dismantling my wheels this Saturday and going for woody's. Keeping OEM hubs and everything else, going with the A60s F/R and the super lace option...1.6" wide front, 2.15 rear...
That is the same setup I was looking at regarding rim size and make/model. You going to powder coat the hubs or just leave em nekked? Will woody replace the bearings seals and all that stuff?

Of course the million dollar question, how many duckets does somethign like this run?
2011 North up the CDR

Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #4992
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
I'm keeping them nekked...no point as this isn't a show-bike...here's the email of the breakdown on costs:

Front 21 x 1.6 Black Excel A60-199
Rear 18 x 2.15 Black excel A60-229
Stainless spokes/nipples 135x2=270
Superlace/true-111x2=222

The total will be 920 + shipping, It will only take 2-3 days to get them done when we receive your hubs.

Frankly not a bad cost given their reputation and the fact that I'm choosing the strongest options (A60s, Superlace, big SS, etc...) I'm not worried...

Given that this is part of a ~$2,500 "investment", 40% into Woody's isn't bad

Oh, and it seems Woody's just opened a "service center", so the should be able to do the bearings as well?!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #4993
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
That is the same setup I was looking at regarding rim size and make/model. You going to powder coat the hubs or just leave em nekked? Will woody replace the bearings seals and all that stuff?

Of course the million dollar question, how many duckets does somethign like this run?
Less than $1800. When I spoke with Woody about a year ago he said it would be less to bring my hubs to him than the wheelset out of the TT catalog.....if that helps. Plus, the TT wheels don't come superlace, but they throw in a set of hubs. I really want to do a Sumo and dirt setup so the extra hubs would be nice, but having stout off road wheels is paramount. I have fun on the pavement with the knobs. I'm heading down to the front range for easter and thought about stopping at Woody's ( for a different rim different bike) I'll let him know how much dough is coming his way

www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #4994
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
I'm keeping them nekked...no point as this isn't a show-bike...here's the email of the breakdown on costs:

Front 21 x 1.6 Black Excel A60-199
Rear 18 x 2.15 Black excel A60-229
Stainless spokes/nipples 135x2=270
Superlace/true-111x2=222

The total will be 920 + shipping, It will only take 2-3 days to get them done when we receive your hubs.

Frankly not a bad cost given their reputation and the fact that I'm choosing the strongest options (A60s, Superlace, big SS, etc...) I'm not worried...

Given that this is part of a ~$2,500 "investment", 40% into Woody's isn't bad

Oh, and it seems Woody's just opened a "service center", so the should be able to do the bearings as well?!

Cool, my guess is my setup will be very similar. Thanks for the info, be sure to post up a pic when you get em back!
2011 North up the CDR

Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #4995
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike View Post
Less than $1800. When I spoke with Woody about a year ago he said it would be less to bring my hubs to him than the wheelset out of the TT catalog.....if that helps. Plus, the TT wheels don't come superlace, but they throw in a set of hubs. I really want to do a Sumo and dirt setup so the extra hubs would be nice, but having stout off road wheels is paramount. I have fun on the pavement with the knobs. I'm heading down to the front range for easter and thought about stopping at Woody's ( for a different rim different bike) I'll let him know how much dough is coming his way

Dam, if I ever spend $1800 on a set of wheels for a dual sport bike, I will be sure to mount up some Cheng Shin tires and snap a couple pics so all you boys got something to laugh at!

I think I will go with woody -vs- Touratech.
2011 North up the CDR