Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #5041
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
I had some over 75mph, but found that when I balanced the tire myself almost all of it went away. I think that the service interval of shop balancers can be a bit extreme.
http://www.marcparnes.com/Universal_...l_Balancer.htm
I have a Parnes balancer setup myself I've been using for about 10 years and just used it to install the new TKC's on my XCH. The vibes I'm getting definitely aren't wheel balance related, they are engine RPM related. I should have the Vibranators in a day or two and will test this weekend and provide results here.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #5042
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 873
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
I have a Parnes balancer setup myself I've been using for about 10 years and just used it to install the new TKC's on my XCH. The vibes I'm getting definitely aren't wheel balance related, they are engine RPM related. I should have the Vibranators in a day or two and will test this weekend and provide results here.
I am intreseted to know what you find as I haven't seen this before and would like to avoid if posible.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #5043
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
any thoughts on a chain guide besides the touratech one? TT seems to be out at the moment and I nailed a rock edge that pushed my current one into my chain and derailed me on the trail.. Easy to get going again but want to avoid that in the future..
markwoodlief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #5044
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
The TT Chain guide is the standard KTM guide just with the appropriate mount. Should be a stock part at pretty much any KTM dealer; so just fab your own bracket.
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #5045
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
wilbers shock and exhaust

chucked my new wilbers shock in the Xch tonight and noticed, like so many before have, the lack of clearance between the reservoir and exhaust... this was so tight that once i put tape around the exhaust there is no clearance at all and the reservoir and tape are touching. i know this has been covered before but i couldn't find the threads and also couldn't find any info from people who have ridden their wilbers for a decent distance... so, has anyone noticed anything detrimental about this setup and/or done anything else to remedy it? or is it just fine as is??

cheers...

Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #5046
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 873
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3710
I was going to order one of the ones listed her by MSR, but ended up getting the TT becaues I am cheep.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #5047
azgsa
Apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange View Post
chucked my new wilbers shock in the Xch tonight and noticed, like so many before have, the lack of clearance between the reservoir and exhaust... so, has anyone noticed anything detrimental about this setup and/or done anything else to remedy it? or is it just fine as is??
Mine isn't so close

Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #5048
azgsa
Apathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
So I installed the Vibranators last week and took the bike for a ride this weekend. To recap, I was getting some pretty serious handlerbar vibration about 80mph +/- 2mph. I had Bark Busters installed and no bar-end weights. The Vibranators install with longer 8mm bolts through the Bark Busters.

The verdict for me on these is that there may be some vibration improvement, but not more than maybe 25% or so I'd guess. They (Vibranator) claim 50-75% improvement. Anyway, it's not significant enough for me to warrant the ~$55 cost so I'll be sending them back under the 30 day money-back guarantee. Next I'll drill out some bar-end weights I had on my Thruxton so the 8mm bolts will fit through, get some longer bolts, and install them between the bars and the Bark Busters as long as the inner-bark Buster handlebar clamp will allow it.

Guy I rode with this weekend (on a big bore KLR) said he filled his bars with silicone caulk and it eliminated ALL the bar vibes for him.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #5049
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Have I ruined my XChallenge?

Hi from a short arsed XChallenge rider. I've owned my bike for 3 years and used it mainly for a bit of trail riding on the Isle of Man. Its been fine, but a lot of the trails over there are tricky for someone of my ability, and needing to get my foot down for a quick dab often left me reaching for fresh air, this wouldn't be a problem in itself, but when you did get the foot down, the fecking bouncy castle like shock, (stolen from another adv'er) would fully extend leaving me standing like a friggin French can can dancer

So this year in anticipation of going back to the Island for the TT I thought I would take the plunge and treat myself to a new shock with a bit of seat height reduction.

I rang Hagon and the chap asked me what I wanted what weight I was, pillion, luggage etc and what seat height reduction I wanted. We had a chat and I went with the normal 30mm seat height reduction. He explained that this would involve 10mm off the shock as it was closer to the pivot etc etc. and the spring rate would compensate for the shorter travel etc etc.

So anyway the box arrived and we all know how that feels, and my wife seemed quite surprised about how something which looked so good could have cost so little. Perhaps I should have been more conservative with my lies.

Before surgery, on the sidestand with the foam already cut from the seat

Got her up on the bench

I got a little carried away as I thought I might as well have a look at the swing arm bearings and regrease them while I had the tools out

If you still have the bouncy castle shock and have done the fender mod you might want to check it again as mine seems to have still been rubbing despite spacing the fender with washers

This wear was the result of many hard minutes of use.

I greased everything and put it back together, this was when I had my "oh shit" moment. 30mm? more like 70mm!! Had I been sent the wrong shock? Had they taken 30mm off the shock instead of the seat? WTF only 3 weeks to the IOM and no new shock

I was about to start throwing tools, kicking the dog etc but I decided to get her off the table and see what the damage would be like once I sat on it

Hang on a moment that appears to be the 30mm as promised

Then it kind of dawned on me, 10mm at the shock, 30mm at the seat further from the pivot, 70mm at the wheel which is obviously further again from the pivot.

Now the good news.

I was able to get on the bike without having to do the climb on whilst on the sidestand manouevre. There was very little sag when I got on. But I could still only get my toes on each foot down which was exactly the same as with the air shock. I couldn't figure out what was going on as I was still on tip toes with two feet as before but could now almost flatfoot on one side which I could not have done previously. Then I got it. All I had done was remove the travel in the air shock which normally sagged when I got on. Also, when I put my one foot down taking my weight off the bike, the shock did not extend and leave me struggling for balance as before. In short, the seat height is now pretty much the same whether or not I am sitting the bike.

My question is that I assume that the full travel I have available in the new shock should be the same as the full travel in the air shock minus the sag, ie, I won't notice any difference in shock performance whilst riding the bike, but wont have the annoying extension problems?

Am I right, or have I made an expensive error? Oh yeah and the sidestand is away to be shortened.

Once you have stopped laughing I would appreciate your thoughts.

dmcd screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 11:08 AM
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #5050
azgsa
Apathetic

I'm no suspension expert but:

For the suspension to work properly you need to have the proper amount of sag (about ~1/3 of suspension total travel) or the suspension will be topping out. Mine is set at about 3.5" since stock travel is 10.6". So ideally you would dial in the sag for the amount of rear suspension travel you have now, and you should also slide the forks up in the trees to match the rear height reduction and keep the bike geometry the same. The issue with that will be front wheel bottoming on fender with too much lowering because the forks will still have full travel available. Not sure how you reduce front travel.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #5051
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
Hi from a short arsed XChallenge rider. I've owned my bike for 3 years and used it mainly for a bit of trail riding on the Isle of Man. Its been fine, but a lot of the trails over there are tricky for someone of my ability, and needing to get my foot down for a quick dab often left me reaching for fresh air, this wouldn't be a problem in itself, but when you did get the foot down, the fecking bouncy castle like shock, (stolen from another adv'er) would fully extend leaving me standing like a friggin French can can dancer

So this year in anticipation of going back to the Island for the TT I thought I would take the plunge and treat myself to a new shock with a bit of seat height reduction.

I rang Hagon and the chap asked me what I wanted what weight I was, pillion, luggage etc and what seat height reduction I wanted. We had a chat and I went with the normal 30mm seat height reduction. He explained that this would involve 10mm off the shock as it was closer to the pivot etc etc. and the spring rate would compensate for the shorter travel etc etc.

So anyway the box arrived and we all know how that feels, and my wife seemed quite surprised about how something which looked so good could have cost so little. Perhaps I should have been more conservative with my lies.

Before surgery, on the sidestand with the foam already cut from the seat

Got her up on the bench

I got a little carried away as I thought I might as well have a look at the swing arm bearings and regrease them while I had the tools out

If you still have the bouncy castle shock and have done the fender mod you might want to check it again as mine seems to have still been rubbing despite spacing the fender with washers

This wear was the result of many hard minutes of use.

I greased everything and put it back together, this was when I had my "oh shit" moment. 30mm? more like 70mm!! Had I been sent the wrong shock? Had they taken 30mm off the shock instead of the seat? WTF only 3 weeks to the IOM and no new shock

I was about to start throwing tools, kicking the dog etc but I decided to get her off the table and see what the damage would be like once I sat on it

Hang on a moment that appears to be the 30mm as promised

Then it kind of dawned on me, 10mm at the shock, 30mm at the seat further from the pivot, 70mm at the wheel which is obviously further again from the pivot.

Now the good news.

I was able to get on the bike without having to do the climb on whilst on the sidestand manouevre. There was very little sag when I got on. But I could still only get my toes on each foot down which was exactly the same as with the air shock. I couldn't figure out what was going on as I was still on tip toes with two feet as before but could now almost flatfoot on one side which I could not have done previously. Then I got it. All I had done was remove the travel in the air shock which normally sagged when I got on. Also, when I put my one foot down taking my weight off the bike, the shock did not extend and leave me struggling for balance as before. In short, the seat height is now pretty much the same whether or not I am sitting the bike.

My question is that I assume that the full travel I have available in the new shock should be the same as the full travel in the air shock minus the sag, ie, I won't notice any difference in shock performance whilst riding the bike, but wont have the annoying extension problems?

Am I right, or have I made an expensive error? Oh yeah and the sidestand is away to be shortened.

Once you have stopped laughing I would appreciate your thoughts.
Hagon may have sent you a XCountry shock, by mistake

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #5052
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
First of all, you have a new shock, now go ride the thing already.

I would think you will notice a change in the shock performance compared to the airshock. One of my mates has a lowered Wilbers, it's noticeably different from the airshock or my full travel Hyperpro. Not all of it good. Your new shock has got less travel now overall, and your new rear spring rate may well be relatively stiffer now. It's got to do the suspension work with the leftover suspension travel and still try to resist bottoming out. So it may feel kinda stiff overall. But if the Hagon guys are good with compression and rebound valving, you'll appreciate it eating up lots of bad road condition and sharp hits.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #5053
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
How are you guys posting pictures? I no longer see the "add pictures" button thingy...
Old 05-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #5054
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Cheers for the constructive replies, I think the pros will outweigh the cons. At worst I now have an xcountry with 21/18 wheels and xchallenge forks!
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #5055
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
How are you guys posting pictures? I no longer see the "add pictures" button thingy...
Adding images stopped on Jan 9, 2012. All images must be linked from another host.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote