Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #5326
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsstampeder View Post
anyone using the renthal twin-wall handlebars? Are the 1 1/8's a straight swap with existing controls?
thanks....
The only modification needed is to remove the brass locator pins from the switch housings.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #5327
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
I'm leaving the LiFePO4 battery world (it puked and I don't trust it now)... and going back to installing an Odyssey PC310 battery. I remember there was some kind of black round rubber band cord thingy to hold it in, but mine is gone.

Anybody have a picture of how it worked? And better yet a substitute idea instead of it? thanks!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #5328
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 119
Shock cord

The oem battery hold down was just a heavy-duty rubber band (o-ring) that hooked over a couple of downward-facing pins at either end of the battery box. One could be easily made with small diameter shock cord knotted at the appropriate size. Alternatively, cut some closed-cell urethane foam and fill as needed around the battery, especially at the radiator shroud/side panel. Good luck.

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #5329
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
The only modification needed is to remove the brass locator pins from the switch housings.

thanks tbarstow
Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #5330
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Thanks scorpion... I might have spoken too soon about , I can get an EarthX today straight from the manufacturer which is 10 miles from my house! He is delivering one to a dealer 3 miles from my house in 3 hours! Is that nirvana or what??? Don't want to get into a LiFePO4 battery discussion though.. plenty of threads for that...

So I'll just zip tie it probably but thanks!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #5331
tomasv
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 243
Aux tank

Hi guys,

I just purchased 2007 XCountry in addition to my 1200 GS. I would like to add AUX tank. Searching the info out there, it seems people were able to make the KTM mountained tank work even thought it is design for the left side...

Q1) How did you make the opposite side work, I have seen the hot water/compressor work but I thought it was more for extending the capacity. Is there any step by step guide I could follow please? Note that I am not going to be using any saddle bag frames, I need to mount the tank directly to the bike.

Q2) I have seen several brackets, some of them very nice. Is there any one that has a CAD drawings that could be used to cut them on CNC please? I would be happy to pay for a run of 10 via one of the local companies and split the cost with others. Just need help with the design and directions please. This way we would have a "universal' mounting bracket

I have actually never seen a picture of XCountry with it, most of them have been for XChallange but I would assume the brackets would be the same - correct?

Thank you!

Tomas

tomasv screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 04:55 PM
tomasv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #5332
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasv View Post
Hi guys,

I just purchased 2007 XCountry in addition to my 1200 GS. I would like to add AUX tank. Searching the info out there, it seems people were able to make the KTM mountained tank work even thought it is design for the left side...

Q1) How did you make the opposite side work, I have seen the hot water/compressor work but I thought it was more for extending the capacity. Is there any step by step guide I could follow please? Note that I am not going to be using any saddle bag frames, I need to mount the tank directly to the bike.

Q2) I have seen several brackets, some of them very nice. Is there any one that has a CAD drawings that could be used to cut them on CNC please? I would be happy to pay for a run of 10 via one of the local companies and split the cost with others. Just need help with the design and directions please. This way we would have a "universal' mounting bracket

I have actually never seen a picture of XCountry with it, most of them have been for XChallange but I would assume the brackets would be the same - correct?

Thank you!

Tomas

Tomas - The hot water trick does add capacity, but it also allows you to bend the tank slightly to get it to fit better. There are lots of Youtube videos on how to do the hot water expansion. Remember to allow for clearance of the rear sprocket when installing your tank.

The difficult part of hanging any of the aux tanks on the rear of the X bikes is the rear taper of the subframe.

Nobody bothered to create a "universal bracket" because we all have different setups at the rear. Some have racks, some don't, some have bags, some don't.

Tim
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #5333
Sno Dawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Wicked HP2 and XChallenge - nice combination

i just picked up an 06 HP2 to compliment my 07 XChallenge and I have to say they are both a blast to ride. I took the HP2 out yesterday afternoon for a short dirt/mostly road ride and it is simply smooth and really fast. I took my XChallenge to work today and for a short ride on the way home and it put a huge smile on my face and reminded me why I love it so much. I have owned my XChallenge since it had 97 miles on it about 4 years ago and have since bought and sold - KTM 640 ADVENTURE (too much overlap), Yamaha TW200 (Fun - but too small for long distance travel) and a 09 Triumph Scrambler (too tame and roadworthy for my liking).

This BMW marriage of an HP2 and an XChallenge might be my ticket to a long term relationship.

More later as the relationship develops.

Sno Dawg
Riding with a smile.
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 V6 - RED SLED- RTT - 3 inch lift
Sno Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #5334
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Really interesting combo.

I was recently considering a 950 SE, but couldn't decide wether to give up my scrambler or my xmoto. Truth be told, I wondered if it might replace both, and other than the maintenance intervals, I was sorely tempted.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts long term about your new combo.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #5335
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Passenger pegs

I'm about to pull the trigger on some passenger pegs for my xmoto. I'm not planning any two up distance riding, just want to be able to pick my daughter up from practice and such...

I've got no history with any online BMW parts vendors. Is there a consensus as to where to buy parts like this? I see Sierra BMW pops up quickly on a google search. Any particular places you'd recommend?
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #5336
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on some passenger pegs for my xmoto. I'm not planning any two up distance riding, just want to be able to pick my daughter up from practice and such...

I've got no history with any online BMW parts vendors. Is there a consensus as to where to buy parts like this? I see Sierra BMW pops up quickly on a google search. Any particular places you'd recommend?
If I remember correctly, they are really expensive.. Try posting a WTB in the flea market, maybe someone has some used ones they aren't using. Or, maybe someone subscribed to this thread..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #5337
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

New Odyssey PC310 battery

Hi guys. Sure this could go in the flea market but... this battery is a bit unique to our XC bike and the Odyssey brand is not available in most motorcycle stores (can't get it from Tucker Rocky or Parts Unlimited) and perhaps not even available in Europe and I'm convinced it is the most dependable one, it is AGM technology and is sealed.

Here's the deal. I have a brand new, never installed Odyssey PC310 battery I need to sell. I ordered it from Amazon over a weekend for $160 since the shops were all closed but installed an EarthX that I could find locally when shops opened on Tuesday and didn't want to wait for Amazon before my trip. It is new stock, date code is Jan 2013 so nothing old about it. Never been hooked up or anything.

It has an MSDS sheet that allows it to be shipped anywhere and is not considered hazardous. PM me.

Here's what happened. I drained my old LiFePO4 battery on Saturday and needed to get my bike ready for a huge offroad camping trip leaving on Thursday. Of course all the shops are closed until Tuesday so I ordered from Amazon, meanwhile we had a huge unexpected snowstorm and I got worried it would not make it in time so I finally found an EarthX LiFePO4 which is a local company and installed it for the trip. The Odyssey came (on time, duh) but I didn't have time or patience to redo everything and left on the trip.

Obligatory bike photo from last weekend - south of Needles District of Canyonlands Nat'l Park in Utah. Behind the Great Basin bag under my brown shirt is 1 gal of gas in a 6L MSR dromedary bag which worked great!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #5338
tomasv
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 243
Pannier racks

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting the Magadan bags for my newly acquired 07 XCountry. When I look at the Hepco & Backer catalog, I see part numbers that has part number 650.656 00 01 but it's for 2008 and later.

I can;t seem to find part number that would fit 2007, there is one without year specification 650.650 00 01 but I want to make sure it will fit. Any advise from those that have the 2007 Xcountry please?

Also, I was told that TT has a rack that would work but I can;t find it ont heir website - any has a part number please?

Thank you!

Tomas
tomasv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #5339
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Bits for sale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885405

The Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #5340
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
heads up

Just a heads up for those with the TT tank. Mine blew one of the main fuses the other week. I tracked it down to the rear right mounting bolt for the tank. It was making contact with the loom going to the fuse box and had rubbed away the insulation on one wire causing a short. Easily avoided by replacing with a shorter bolt, or using a hack saw to chop the bolt.

The Jester is online now   Reply With Quote