User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #5506
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
Wow!

I actually was thinking about sorting out a set of spiked tyres and trying out my X in the snow, but...after watching your videos....

What tyres do you have?
Weight-how serious of an issue here eh?

It is even possible to stay on a straight line?

Detailed BMW X-Challenge build thread.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
F-ing in Iceland and Faroe Islands, 2013.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #5507
Earlevet
ADVEarl

Oddometer: 553
Dunlop 908 Rally Raid front and rear.
At speed it was much easier to stay on the pegs, kinda like deep sand. I spent a lot if time in 2nd gear and some time in 3rd gear. Spiked tires would be very helpful but we do not get that much snow here in AR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bli55 View Post
Wow!

I actually was thinking about sorting out a set of spiked tyres and trying out my X in the snow, but...after watching your videos....

What tyres do you have?
Weight-how serious of an issue here eh?

It is even possible to stay on a straight line?
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #5508
meerobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
WTB/WTT: X-Challenge low seat or X-Moto seat

Hope this is the appropriate place to post this. The last time I checked, my inseam is 28 inches, or was that 27? Anyways, you get the idea. Looking for a low seat for my XCH. If I'm not wrong, the X-Moto stock seat = the XCH low seat. Well, either way, as long as it's lower. Can trade or buy. Seat I have has 1400 miles on it. Please PM me if you have something.
meerobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #5509
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,876
You know you can trim your seat yourself to the height and shape required and reuse the oem seat cover?

Works very well and was more comfortable all round.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #5510
meerobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Cruz, thanks for the suggestion. I take it you're done it on yours. Can you PM me a picture of how it turned out? I've done trimming and stapling back the original seat covers for all my WR's and YZ's that I've had over the years. Just thought I'd put it out there in case someone wants a taller seat.
If I don't get a response soon, I might just do the usual trimming myself.
meerobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #5511
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,876
It is in this thread somewhere early on. The seat foam is the best I have come across to reshape. I will see if I can find the photos.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #5512
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
BMW Part# added to the above Post..................... it's 80000610612

Indicators fit fine with no adjustment and there is plenty of clearance from exhaust - no need to remove can to fit
i saw this but cant seem to find The exact part on any of the fiches. Anyone know where I can find a link to a fiche?

thanks!
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #5513
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
So as long as we get along I will likely be picking up an Xchallenge very soon. I've tried to learn as much as a I can over the last couple of weeks as a possible purchase got closer by reading through this site and others but I've got a couple of questions that maybe someone more familiar with the bike's history can answer.

Are bike specific accessories (skid plate, maybe racks, etc...) becoming harder to obtain since the bike was only sold in the US for one year and that was some time ago? The bike I am looking at is pretty much stock. Are their any other good options for a skid plate besides the TT one?

Seems like an aftermarket exhaust (either full or just cat back) is a pretty common mod in order to drop a few pounds, some bikes suffer from a too lean running condition with an aftermarket exhaust. Have people found the bike runs fine with no ill effects on reliability running with the stock fuel map?

Thanks
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #5514
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
So as long as we get along I will likely be picking up an Xchallenge very soon. I've tried to learn as much as a I can over the last couple of weeks as a possible purchase got closer by reading through this site and others but I've got a couple of questions that maybe someone more familiar with the bike's history can answer.

Are bike specific accessories (skid plate, maybe racks, etc...) becoming harder to obtain since the bike was only sold in the US for one year and that was some time ago? The bike I am looking at is pretty much stock. Are their any other good options for a skid plate besides the TT one?

Seems like an aftermarket exhaust (either full or just cat back) is a pretty common mod in order to drop a few pounds, some bikes suffer from a too lean running condition with an aftermarket exhaust. Have people found the bike runs fine with no ill effects on reliability running with the stock fuel map?

Thanks

TT or Scheffelmeier Link

Leo Vince is about the only aftermarket exhaust left for the X. Most other mfgs seem to have discontinued their X product. The stock FI will be fine with a different exhaust. You can also add a Booster Plug, Ice Air or similar device to richen the mixture during closed loop operation.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #5515
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Are their any other good options for a skid plate besides the TT one?

Thanks
I'm using the Hyde skid plate and am happy with it. I'm also using the Leo Vince exhaust and can say that it reduces weight and increases the low and mid range noise. The air box mod seemed to impact performance than the exhaust. At 8k miles (26K total) I've experienced no issues after changing the exhaust.

All those people whining about being underpaid today were simply overpaid yesterday.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #5516
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
i saw this but cant seem to find The exact part on any of the fiches. Anyone know where I can find a link to a fiche?

thanks!
It's a BMW Internal factory oart, not a retail part

You will have to visit a BMW dealer in person and see if he can get you one

It's actually a 1200GS part

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #5517
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Mine has aftermarket plastics and graphics. I haven't had any issues with the front fender:

Have you ever ran down the exact source for the black plastics and decals?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #5518
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
No. It was like that when I bought it. I was told they're German in origin.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #5519
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
No. It was like that when I bought it. I was told they're German in origin.
I've read that regarding your bike several times. I've yet to find any German websites that have them listed. Stupid unicorn bikes.............
Old 12-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #5520
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
Thanks for responses.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote