Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #5521
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
No. It was like that when I bought it. I was told they're German in origin.
Might be a silly question.. But have you looked on the panel for maker?
Matt
2003 BMW R1100S BCR - #57/200, Laser, Ohlins, Other goddies - RIP Jeff; 1999 BMW R1100S - Remus (For Sale soon); 1989 BMW K100RS - Remus, Fox Rear; 2000 BMW M5 - Few Dinan Goodies..
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #5522
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Might be a silly question.. But have you looked on the panel for maker?
Matt
That back of some of the plastics are marked aprilia and BMW Motorrad. I know aprilia made the XChallenge and it has the Rotax motor. I had two aprilia sportbikes.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #5523
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
That back of some of the plastics are marked aprilia and BMW Motorrad. I know aprilia made the XChallenge and it has the Rotax motor. I had two aprilia sportbikes.

Uhm...I don't know if I missed something,
but is there anything that makes you think they weren't just painted black?
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #5524
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
Uhm...I don't know if I missed something,
but is there anything that makes you think they weren't just painted black?
No, they are black. I have had enough off road "excursions" to have tested the plastics for color in depth. The fender has the same profile as the TT "wings" that you can add to the stock one, but it's all integral. The 1st owner is an inmate here and works at Bob's BMW in Maryland. He did a lot of the work to the bike. The 2nd owner is also an inmate and didn't have it long. I have added on to it, mostly through the TT catalog and a few others. It's a very well sorted out bike.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #5525
TobyG

Quote:
No, they are black. I have had enough off road "excursions" to have tested the plastics for color in depth. The fender has the same profile as the TT "wings" that you can add to the stock one, but it's all integral. The 1st owner is an inmate here and works at Bob's BMW in Maryland. He did a lot of the work to the bike. The 2nd owner is also an inmate and didn't have it long. I have added on to it, mostly through the TT catalog and a few others. It's a very well sorted out bike.
Once again don't get me wrong, but if you'd ask me, it just looks like the normal fender,
which also got "wings". But then again, who I am I to judge that from just looking at pictures
Just a thought.

Actually,
I just remembered something...
Touratech did one very limited run of their big tanks in black.
I can't really recall whether it was a pre-production run or not right now,
either way, it was never publically available anyways.

Actually there'd also been a completely black TT Rallye Challenge (once again, not available to us mortals).

I could very well imagine that, perhaps in collaboration with TT, BMW had a small batch of black plastics made.
Especially if you consider that your parts are marked with their logo
and it also seems unlikely that someone would spend big $$ to have molds made that include the BMW logo and then only produce an extremely small batch.
After all, that's one of the reasons the Xchallenge never got much love from aftermarket producers,
with that few bikes sold there's not much of a demand for any aftermarket plastics whatsoever.

TobyG screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 01:12 PM
Old 12-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #5526
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
Once again, don't get me wrong, but if you'd ask me, it just looks like the normal fender,
which also got "wings". But then again, who I am I to judge that from just looking at pictures
Just a thought.

Actually,
I just remembered something...
Touratech did one very limited run of their big tanks in black.
I can't really recall whether it was a pre-production run or not right now,
either way, it was never publically available anyways.

Actually there'd also been a completely black TT Rallye Challenge (once again, not available to us mortals).

I could very well imagine that, perhaps in collaboration with TT, BMW had a small batch of black plastics made.
Especially if you consider that your parts are marked with their logo
and it also seems unlikely that someone would spend big $$ to have molds made that include the BMW logo and then only produce an extremely small batch.
After all, that's one of the reasons the Xchallenge never got much love from aftermarket producers,
with that few bikes sold there's not much of a demand for any aftermarket plastics whatsoever.
You are probably right. I looked at the TT fender extensions and it looked like what I already have, so I didn't buy them. I don't have, not have ever seen in person, a stock fender to compare.

Maybe. I'll get some pics when I get a chance Toby. We had a heavy snow last night so I spent all morning shoveling and I'm at work right now. I'll do what I can to pull some panels off. Hopefully soon.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #5527
TobyG

Quote:
You are probably right. I looked at the TT fender extensions and it looked like what I already have, so I didn't buy them. I don't have, not have ever seen in person, a stock fender to compare.

Maybe. I'll get some pics when I get a chance Toby. We had a heavy snow last night so I spent all morning shoveling and I'm at work right now. I'll do what I can to pull some panels off. Hopefully soon.
No worries, I am not in a hurry, after all I am not exactly looking to get a set of black plastics,
turns out I don't even have a Xchallenge,
I just figured I'd chime in
Old 12-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #5528
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

No problem. I think it looks much better in black, and I loved the graphics when I first saw it. I had the seat custom done as the blue just didn't look right, and it had a small tear. It has blue stitching and I had him do the seems to match the original lines in the stock cover. It looks great in person.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #5529
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 202
I agree. The bike really wants to be black, IMO. Shame they made them ALL vanilla.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #5530
Earlevet
ADVEarl

Oddometer: 553
IMHO white shows off the dirt better than black :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosobrad View Post
I agree. The bike really wants to be black, IMO. Shame they made them ALL vanilla.
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #5531
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 656
Work Stand

What's your favorite work stand? I've been considering the MSR Pro Lift, but I'm not sure if it will interfere with the drain plug.

All those people whining about being underpaid today were simply overpaid yesterday.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #5532
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
What's your favorite work stand? I've been considering the MSR Pro Lift, but I'm not sure if it will interfere with the drain plug.
I got this hidraulic scissor lift (cant remember the brand, but its made in china for sure).

At first I was skeptical about quality and stability so I started with light bikes (mostly mx)

I had it for 3 years now and used with my old DR800, a friends Africa twin and several other heavy bikes and it works wonders.

It has a large oil drain hole in the base plate, so you can change the oil easily.

I'got it on a local shop, but I've seen them on ebay for about $200

Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #5533
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
No problem. I think it looks much better in black, and I loved the graphics when I first saw it. I had the seat custom done as the blue just didn't look right, and it had a small tear. It has blue stitching and I had him do the seems to match the original lines in the stock cover. It looks great in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosobrad View Post
If you strip the paint off, the plastic itself is black on the fron and rear pieces. Get the side panels sprayed black with Plastidip.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #5534
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
Don't know about that...
The white is flaking off the rear piece and all I see underneath is some...don't really know how to describe it, but it's not black!
Or do you dig deeper that that?

Detailed BMW X-Challenge build thread.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
F-ing in Iceland and Faroe Islands, 2013.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #5535
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bli55 View Post
Don't know about that...
The white is flaking off the rear piece and all I see underneath is some...don't really know how to describe it, but it's not black!
Or do you dig deeper that that?
I cut a piece off by the gas cap on the original piece of rear bodywork. It was black underneath all of the paint and primer.

I drilled holes in the OEM front fender and it is black plastic in the center.

Find a place that does Plastidip, like this one (no affiliation) http://www.diponcar.com is you want your parts done in a different color. If you don't like it, you just peel the coating off.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote