Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #5626
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
I had identical symptoms. Partner and I were helping a friend who had broken down mid ride. We took him to a local airport. I loaded my partner's Giant loop onto the X so he could take the other guy two up.
I cinched the GL down tight enough that it pushed the plastic body work down that covers the fuel line coming out of the x tank. I crimped the line and interrupted the vacuum. My main tank was dry and the x tank was full. Imagine my surprise when I opened the X tank and got a whoosh of gas splashing out!

I have the leaky gas cap syndrome as well, but it is something I can live with, for now anyway.
Very interesting. I have the Giant Loop as well and had adjusted it at the gas stop a few miles earlier. That would certainly explain why there was pressure in one tank and none in the other. I need to look into any possible crimp spots and make sure the hose is protected. Thanks!

All those people whining about being underpaid today were simply overpaid yesterday.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #5627
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
Anyone have a recommended set of soft panniers for the xrack. I know the magadan bags were kind of made to fit the xchallenge but I am looking for something more affordable and sourced in North America.
Was thinking wolfman but open to other suggestions
I also have xrack and looked at ALL the soft bags and went with the wolfman rocky mountain. Upgraded the subframe, still getting xtank back on (drilling out for bigger bolts, then xrack) so haven't used wolfman bags yet.

Giant Loop siskiyous looked great but won't work over xrack, due to geometry on top -- two levels.
Magadan needs external support straps, I hate that.
Wolfman has structural supporting straps built in.
Kreigas were too heavy, spendy and finicky on/off.
Enduristan -- I love their tank bag but monsoons looked crazy wide and may need straps. Also 22lbs/side weight limit, no.
ATG Overlanders say "must be at least 10cm/4in from exhaust." No go.
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #5628
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Ho! View Post
Giant Loop siskiyous looked great but won't work over xrack, due to geometry on top -- two levels.
Magadan needs external support straps, I hate that.
Wolfman has structural supporting straps built in.
Kreigas were too heavy, spendy and finicky on/off.
Enduristan -- I love their tank bag but monsoons looked crazy wide and may need straps. Also 22lbs/side weight limit, no.
ATG Overlanders say "must be at least 10cm/4in from exhaust." No go.
Wolfman bags are nice, but they are a PITA to get into and get your stuff out of (everything grabs the inside of the bags). There is a link on the WR250 thread about putting some plastic trash cans inside them to make them more functional. I did this but haven't used them yet.

The other thing I don't like about the Wolfman bags is the "over the seat" strap". I need to get the sewing machine out and remedy this.

I still like my Pelican 1450's on my X.

tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #5629
August West
Wharf Rat

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
Very interesting. I have the Giant Loop as well and had adjusted it at the gas stop a few miles earlier. That would certainly explain why there was pressure in one tank and none in the other. I need to look into any possible crimp spots and make sure the hose is protected. Thanks!
You are welcome. When the fuel/vacuum problem was discovered I thought, "what did I do last that was unusual?" "Ah, my friend's GL!"
I took a found piece of wood and wedged it right next to the fuel line where it goes between the plastic and the subframe to keep the space open. It's still there.
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #5630
Inniswhe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably go with the wolfman basic model or the Nelson rigg bags to keep costs low. Anyone use the nelson bags on an xchallenge ?
I only do a couple of weekend trips a year. Maybe a week at most so no round the world expedition grade bags needed for me

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:46 AM   #5631
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
This happened on my last long ride.. Had the GL cinched down pretty tight. Had the reserve light come on at 120 (approx) miles.. Couldn't figure it out until now.. Thanks for the explanation.
I also have a weepy main gas tank cap. I've tried to keep it below the max fill line when filling up, but it pulls in from the X Tank fast enough so that the main tank gets filled up, and sure enough when I stop, the main starts weeping again.
Somebody was working on a new cap.. I thought.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #5632
Koof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Wolfman bags are nice, but they are a PITA to get into and get your stuff out of (everything grabs the inside of the bags). There is a link on the WR250 thread about putting some plastic trash cans inside them to make them more functional. I did this but haven't used them yet.

The other thing I don't like about the Wolfman bags is the "over the seat" strap". I need to get the sewing machine out and remedy this.

I still like my Pelican 1450's on my X.

Looks like a nice set up, mind if I ask if you made the racks or bought them??
Koof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #5633
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koof View Post
Looks like a nice set up, mind if I ask if you made the racks or bought them??
That is the TT rear subframe and pannier racks.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #5634
Koof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
That is the TT rear subframe and pannier racks.
Ok thanks! I looked into ordering the subrame and racks from TT a couple weeks ago and there's no stock anywhere and would be back ordered...

It does look like a quality upgrade though.
Koof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #5635
ang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Sorry Koof, I got the last subframe and rack out of the states a month or so ago!
ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #5636
oothef
Grownup

Oddometer: 32
Try Erik http://hotrodwelding.nl/product.php?id=5
oothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #5637
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,357
Looking for a stock Xch muffler with shields in good shape. Shoot me an email if you have one available...
Old 04-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #5638
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,369
I was considering buying a leo vince exhaust for my xch and motorcycle superstore seemed to have one in stock a couple of months ago but they are not showing it as unavailable. Not finding it around at other places. Does anyone know of a vendor that still has these in stock?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #5639
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
Looking for a stock Xch muffler with shields in good shape. Shoot me an email if you have one available...
Found one, Thanks Ponzerelli!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #5640
Earlevet
ADVEarl

Oddometer: 559
Enduro Set Up Xchallenge

Well... this was my first enduro and it will be the last one I do on the Xchallenge
What a wonderful weekend it became. I loaded up the bike for a well deserved weekend of fellowship with FF's and riding.

Well the start of the race went well across the bridge and at that point I recognize we are in for a good time. My go pro camera battery diet so the finish not caught on camera. I DNF and cut out the last 6 miles and it was the best decision I made all weekend!

Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote