Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #826
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhole
GB, I also installed this tail tidy, and I do like it, but I don't think I would buy it again.

My biggest complaint is the turn signal location. Even using the tiny LED signals, it is way too close to the exhaust. If you retain the stock signals it will definitely be touching the can. I relocated them lower down. The second problem was that it is not designed to accomodate a North American plate, but this is understandable as it is a UK company. By the time I finished modding it to my satisfaction, I would have been better off just building something from scratch. I do like the LED taillight and plate light, though.

I can't take a good picture to save my life, but here's what the end product looked like (exhaust temporarily removed).

Fellas, I was at a local CycleGear store this past weekend, and ran across a couple nice option for our bikes...

Option#1 you can mount these to the bottom of the plate...
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...-0020&tier2=58

Option#2 (This has some nice leds built into the bottom of the frame)
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...-0060&tier2=58

With either of them, you'll need to reinforce the plate, either with a piece of aluminum or hard plastic backing..

Option#3
They also had kit that modifies your current led tailight (the big red one on top) into both your brake, and turn signals...I've seen them used on effectively on sportbikes..and I can't find the listing online..It was about $47, and requires some soldering...This looked to me like the best option..which eventually I'll add to my X...

Here's a link to what this above product would look like...again, the one at the store required some type of soldering...
http://www.sportbikecreations.net/
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #827
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
You can also do this:
http://www.bmwgs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318383

Dmitri
Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 PM   #828
X-Rated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
The TT fat foot for the silver stand which is what I go is goddam useless. The holes don't line up, and it doesn't even fit properly. I had to drill new holes and use a grinder to make it fit.. total waste of money.

For the black one, if you have access to a welder, i'd weld on a wider foot, disconnect the battery first.
Concur - mine disappeared the first time I took the bike off road. In my view the sidestand is maybe 10 mm too long already - this item only exacerbates the problem of the bike standing precariously close to vertical.

A waste of $$$.

Al
Old 03-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #829
X-Rated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhole

.....My biggest complaint is the turn signal location. Even using the tiny LED signals, it is way too close to the exhaust. If you retain the stock signals it will definitely be touching the can....
I also installed the same Tail Tidy unit. I had no problem with clearance between the stock can and the stock turn signals, as shown in the next two pics:

I had a SLIGHTLY different problem.......

Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #830
Jackhole
Team Blizted

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by shardzero
I will post some images of my TT tail install, went well and highly reccomended.

Are there pictures of the installation of the Scotts steering damper available? Where do you get the Pro-tech risers from? Does the final setup mount under the bar?

Anyone ridden offroad with the TT 16L tank?
Scotts sells a top mount weld-on for the X. Pro-Tech sells a submount to accommodate a Scotts damper, but you need to figure out how to install the post for yourself. Gary Emig at Emig Racing is currently developing a complete bolt-on submount damper for the X.

Crankshaft has posted some really helpful info about how to do a bolt-on Scotts damper with the Pro-Tech under-mount. Links here and here.
Jackhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #831
Jackhole
Team Blizted

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated
I also installed the same Tail Tidy unit. I had no problem with clearance between the stock can and the stock turn signals, as shown in the next two pics:

I had a SLIGHTLY different problem.......

Ouch!

I guess now that I think of it, it was the Remus exhaust that I had clearance problems with, not the stock. Clearance seems a little tight but acceptable with the stock can.

I really like tdv's simple solution of relocating the blinkers above the can.
Jackhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #832
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by steyr617
I got the MSR bottle idea off this thread, great idea!
Psst, if you use a bicycle seatpost quick release with spacers on the top clamp, you don't have to use tools to get the bottle off. Just flip the q/r and slide the bottle out.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:53 AM   #833
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,139
I really need to find a way to carry a little more fuel with me. After my 1,200 mile day a week or so ago, I had a few close calls almost running out of gas. I really don't want to go through that again. I'm a cheap bastard, so I am not getting the Touratech tank anytime soon. Some guy from here stopped buy my shop today, and had a Kolpin tank bolted to the back of his 950. It looked good. I was thinking of mounting it to my small Touratech rack. What do you guys think? I will only use it for longer trips, so I won't have to worry about the high center of gravity when I go offroad. http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/sto.../3/products/49
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:05 AM   #834
kewlcat
Mr.

Oddometer: 43
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
I really need to find a way to carry a little more fuel with me. After my 1,200 mile day a week or so ago, I had a few close calls almost running out of gas. I really don't want to go through that again. I'm a cheap bastard, so I am not getting the Touratech tank anytime soon. Some guy from here stopped buy my shop today, and had a Kolpin tank bolted to the back of his 950. It looked good. I was thinking of mounting it to my small Touratech rack. What do you guys think? I will only use it for longer trips, so I won't have to worry about the high center of gravity when I go offroad. http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/sto.../3/products/49
I like this but can you hook it up to your main fuel line? I would love to buy Max's fuel tank but our currency excahnge rate to the Euro really sucks some thing like 10 ZAR to 1 Euro!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:38 AM   #835
oldschoolnutter
crash...never

Oddometer: 32
Check out nomad tanks...

http://www.nomadtanks.com.au/

I gotta thank Max for doing all the R&D but I am going to install a Nomad on the OE rear rack (got that...gotta take the can off to install) and then run the fuel into the Vent hose on the top of the tank...the Nomad tanks vent through the caps.

Handy....should have minimal leakage in a fall over.
Bin emailing Nomad...said he's been trying to locate a Xch to check fit (haven't heard back lately).
He's in Australia, anybody down there checked his stuff out or have a Xch to saunter on by to help a cat out?

Price seems resonable.
oldschoolnutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #836
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated
Concur - mine disappeared the first time I took the bike off road. In my view the sidestand is maybe 10 mm too long already - this item only exacerbates the problem of the bike standing precariously close to vertical.

A waste of $$$.

Al
I agree... The TT sidestand foot thingy is useless and simply doesn't fit! Beware trying to fit the SW Motech center stand if you have a TT bash plate or more importantly the TT replacement rear brake foot lever!

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 AM   #837
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Pivot Pegz

Well I fitted the HP2 Pivot Pegs to the XC today and they went on without a hassle. A clean and neat swap and with a two height adjustable fitting option. They look great and work a treat! Much more comfortable than the OEM part after a short ride to get used to them. I read in another post somewhere that with the pivot action of the pegs you will also save a bit of wear and tear on your boots.

Before...

After...

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:37 AM   #838
kewlcat
Mr.

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolnutter
Check out nomad tanks...

http://www.nomadtanks.com.au/

I gotta thank Max for doing all the R&D but I am going to install a Nomad on the OE rear rack (got that...gotta take the can off to install) and then run the fuel into the Vent hose on the top of the tank...the Nomad tanks vent through the caps.

Handy....should have minimal leakage in a fall over.
Bin emailing Nomad...said he's been trying to locate a Xch to check fit (haven't heard back lately).
He's in Australia, anybody down there checked his stuff out or have a Xch to saunter on by to help a cat out?

Price seems resonable.
Thanks for that the price is very reasonable, I have send them a mail as well
Old 03-27-2008, 05:17 AM   #839
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
The front light is pretty minimal but possibly better than most dirt bikes. I have considered the trailtech 8" race HID light as it only draws 35watts instead of 55watts that the halogen version does... http://www.trailtech.net/3832-EX-00.html

I was just about to go this route, until I read a post on another forum about replacing the 55/60 H4 bulb with a 80/100 bulb...I tried this back in december, and for $12.50, it's a 150% improvement over the stock bulb...

Yes, it draws more juice, but the bike can handle it just fine..
Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #840
ducwad
Livin' the dash

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
I agree... The TT sidestand foot thingy is useless and simply doesn't fit! Beware trying to fit the SW Motech center stand if you have a TT bash plate or more importantly the TT replacement rear brake foot lever!
Can you elaborate about the TT bash plate and the SQ-Motech center stand. I was hoping to go that route when I get mine Xch. How do they interfere?
1992 Ducati 900 Superlight
ducwad is offline   Reply With Quote