Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
chug1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Pissed klr250 1st-2nd shift problems

Hi

I have recently acquired a KLR 250, and it is having trouble shifting up from 1st to 2nd. It just finds neutral and stays there. It takes anywhere from 3 to about 20 up-shifts to get it into 2nd, usually by which time I've rolled to a stop.

From what I can tell, it shifts up (it goes CLUNK), but then drops back down to neutral.

Has anybody else had this problem? fixes? fixable?
chug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
KGBz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I too have the same issue. Did you ever resolve this?

-KGBz
KGBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Kawasaki uses what they call a "positive neutral finder" in their transmissions. This is in most cases a pair or trio of ball bearings that reside in a milled grove inside the output shaft and prevent 2nd from sliding into place unless the shaft is spinning, so that an up shift from first with the bike stationary will only go as far as neutral.

On a few Kawasakis I have seen these bearings get stuck in their slots or damaged and prevent the shift even after the output shaft is spinning. The first thing I would do is change the oil and see if new clean stuff will be enough to free up the bearings. If and when that fails, try freeing the bearings by smartly rapping on the end of the output shaft while spinning the tire. This combination has worked for me on a few occasions, and once the bearings move freely again the problem seems to resolve itself. In the cases I've personally dealt with, the bikes had been sitting for a few years, which may have lead to the bearings getting stuck in place.

If that doesn't work, the transmission will need to be dismantled and the bearings either replaced (if you want to retain the neutral finder) or removed.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
Fortunate Son
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
KLR shifting

I was going to suggest going to the KLR thread, but that was a great answer and seems like it would be worth trying to free up those ball bearings.

HI-VIZ, wear it like it works, but ride like it doesn't
Fortunate Son is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
KGBz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
Kawasaki uses what they call a "positive neutral finder" in their transmissions. This is in most cases a pair or trio of ball bearings that reside in a milled grove inside the output shaft and prevent 2nd from sliding into place unless the shaft is spinning, so that an up shift from first with the bike stationary will only go as far as neutral.

On a few Kawasakis I have seen these bearings get stuck in their slots or damaged and prevent the shift even after the output shaft is spinning. The first thing I would do is change the oil and see if new clean stuff will be enough to free up the bearings. If and when that fails, try freeing the bearings by smartly rapping on the end of the output shaft while spinning the tire. This combination has worked for me on a few occasions, and once the bearings move freely again the problem seems to resolve itself. In the cases I've personally dealt with, the bikes had been sitting for a few years, which may have lead to the bearings getting stuck in place.

If that doesn't work, the transmission will need to be dismantled and the bearings either replaced (if you want to retain the neutral finder) or removed.
Tim... Thanks You. That's just about the best answer I could have hoped for. That's the first thing I will try.

-KGBz
KGBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,807
Could also be the usual problem in a case like this, rounded/worn engagement dogs and slots on the gears and/or wonky shift forks, from club-footed idiots abusing the gearbox.

A few years back I bought a used XT600 Yamaha with the same problem, and it was the engagement dogs and slots rounded off.