Paperwork at Mexican Consulate

Discussion in 'Americas' started by spoof, Nov 20, 2007.

1. spoof

spoof on backwards

Oddometer:
    Someone is telling me that I can go by the Mexican consulate in Albuquerque (or some other state) and pick up all the paperwork I need to go through Mexico, including temporary vehicle import license and any banjercito business, etc. and then just blow through the border.

Anyone ever done this?
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some border crossings take less time than others. You can get your documents at a consulate or ata a border crossing. Either way its going to cost you some time. Cross the border at Columbus or Santa Theresa and its fairly quick. Cross on a weekday and avoid weekends.
  3. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience "...then just blow through the border." is not correct.

Even if you get the import permit (from consulate or on-line) you still end up waiting in couple lines at the border. They still want to put a stamp here and there and swipe your Visa etc...
    I doesn't really mater how little/much time the paperwork itself takes to complete, it's the waiting in the line.

To me it seems (crossing the border in Douglas, AZ) one saves very little time. If any.

Either way, it's been smooth and easy process. But for me the "do everything beforehand" doesn't quite serve it's purpose.

--
    Mikko
  4. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can get the paperwork at the consulate in Albuquerque.
    But, when are you traveling? If you're going sometime from now until Christmas, you're probably better off picking it up at the border (as long as you're going thru customs at some place relatively uncrowded...ie. Columbus, NM or Santa Teresa vs. Bridge of the Americas in El Paso). This is because there are usually very long lines at the ABQ consulate as Mexicans themselves are arranging paperwork to head home for the holidays. The last time I went to the consulate in ABQ for paperwork during the holidays (2 Christmas' back, the week after Thanksgiving) there was a very long line before the doors even opened and they gave out numbers for people to come back the next day as soon as they did offically open for the day.
  5. spoof

spoof on backwards

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. About as I thought. I'll probably just do it at the border. Planning to cross at Ojinaga. Doesn't seem likely to be too busy there.
  6. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    I have crossed at Ojinaga, very quick although I don't think the immigration office that does the paperwork is open 24 hours.
  7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If you arrive Presido late, you can always go ahead and get the paperwork done at the border and then blow-n-go the next morning.

The Three Palms Motel in Presidio has been popular and there's a restaurant next door. About $45ish, IIRC.
  8. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    Right on all counts.

I did my bike papers on line, but a couple of guys got theirs there in January in just over an hour. They got there mid afternoon.

Our visas only took a few minutes, most of that trying to find someone that would man the desk.
  9. sf_motogrrl

sf_motogrrl Where am I?

Oddometer:
    Do any of your have a link to web-site where I can do my paperwork online?

It's nice to arrive with everything filled out - don't mind the lines at all.
  10. littlebhatia

littlebhatia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does anyone know how the brownsville matamoros crossing is? i will be crossing friday.