Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
REVIEWED: 12v mini air pumps\inflators\compressors (need input)

I'm going through another one of those gear dilemmas. Which 12v mini compressor do I want? So like I usually do, I buy em all, check em all out and sell off the ones I don't like or give em away as gifts.

I'll be testing the following units, if anyone has any others they can recommend me testing please let me know.

Airman Sparrow
Airman Owl Battery powered or 12v (I'll be testing it directly connected to a battery)
BMW pump from BMW mobility kit
Campbell Hausfeld RP0500
Campbell Hausfeld RP0600
Campbell Hausfeld RP0650
Slime 40001
Slime Smart Spair
Slime something or another
Cycle Pump
Mystery pump - A friend has one which is about the same size as these others, I'll pick that one up today and get back to you with the make and model.

I have read the MCN article which tested these pumps but I wanted to test them myself because they left out some information. It would have been nice to know the temperature and or humidity level during the tests. If its hot and humid the pumps don't have to work as hard to reach 35psi, if it's cold and freezing they have to work much harder.

Another problem, they are human and may have lost a few psi during the install and removal of the air hose, I will address that concern by using a permanently attached hose to the bike and a threaded bard on each pump so I will not lose any air.

Concern #3 with the MCN review, they tested the pumps kind of weird, first they used the pumps for 3 minutes, released the hose, checked the pressure, then reinstalled the hose and pumped for another 2 minutes and checked the pressure again. Their reasoning was to give the Cycle Pump an edge because it's disclaimer was to not exceed 2-3 minutes for inflation. Well screw that! They also had to gauge the pressure between those cycles so again they probably lost a few psi.

My test will be to deflate a 180\70-16 tire by removing the valve core. I will then use either an EZ air gauge or professional pistol grip air gauge in line between the pump being tested and the tire. I'll hold a stopwatch side by side the whichever gauge I'm using and time inflation to 35psi and 40psi. (Hope I don't burn out the cycle pump)

If anyone has any concerns or ideas to be able to put all the pumps on a more equal footing I'd like to hear it. I'm currently just waiting on the two Airman pumps. I'll be picking up the Campbell Hausfeld RP0500 later today and will order the RP0650 later this afternoon.

I cannot currently source the RP0600, it seemed to have simply been an RP0500 with the addition of a built in gauge. But according to Dehager's post the specs are differing. He goes on to say

"Campbell Hausfeld RP060000DA
Specs:
12VDC, 15A
5.5" x 5.0" x 2.5"
Internally mounted gauge, max 200psi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very close to the RP0500 but it has a gauge...
12VDC
5.7" x 6.5" x 3.3"
Max 120psi, no gauge

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance"

I dig the size of the RP0600, on paper it seems like a nice size.

I have also seen dozens of other slime branded pumps that look to be pretty much the same size as most of these pumps, but I will not be picking them all up.

They include the
Slime Smart Spair
Slime 40003
Slime COMP04

Any and all input is welcome.

I would also be interested in testing the Motopump but I don't think I know anyone local who has one. Maybe I'll put it out there
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
cmack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Try Walmart for the CH compressor with the guage. That's where I got mine about a year and a half ago. I'm not sure if it's the same part #, but I gutted it, and it's tiny but works VERY well. I used a small PVC tube (about the size of a toilet paper cardboard tube) and a couple of screws to secure/protect the internals and the guage is still visible. It fits in a waterproof bag inside my welding rod tool tube with plenty of room to spare for tools.
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,546
Does it really matter how fast the pump reaches the desired pressure? If I just plugged a tire on the roadside all I care about is that it's capable of getting the pressure back to 35 psi or so. 2, 4, or 6 minutes doesn't seem important. If I were in the market for a new pump I'd be much more interested in other features:
  • cord/hose length
  • battery connection options (BMW plug, battery tender style plug, clips)
  • overall size (for packing)
  • optional nozzles for pumping up air mattresses, etc.
I'd consider all of those plus cost before I'd worry about speed.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
i bought one of the cheaper cambell hausfields. It was around 12 dollars at walmart, it seems go pretty quick and only takes a few minutes to fill up a tire. It came with an accesory plug for an outlet so i just cut it off and put alligator clips on it.
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by czjmp6
Does it really matter how fast the pump reaches the desired pressure? If I just plugged a tire on the roadside all I care about is that it's capable of getting the pressure back to 35 psi or so. 2, 4, or 6 minutes doesn't seem important. If I were in the market for a new pump I'd be much more interested in other features:
  • cord/hose length
  • battery connection options (BMW plug, battery tender style plug, clips)
  • overall size (for packing)
  • optional nozzles for pumping up air mattresses, etc.
I'd consider all of those plus cost before I'd worry about speed.
+1 Seems like a lot of effort. All I really want an emergency pump to do is get me 15 or 20 psi so I can make it to a gas station. And fit in my kit.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,765
Every Christmas another tire pump thread.
Easier to use the search button.
The good guys lost....
b.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Every Christmas another tire pump thread.
Easier to use the search button.
The good guys lost....
b.
I did use the search button, I wanted to test them myself, still waiting on 3 pumps in the mail.

So far I did find out that the Slime takes the most juice to run, I was able to run every pump here off a PC power supply except for the slime, it kept tripping the overload shutoff. I think the test PSU I have in the garage is 24 amp, the one I was using here at the house was only 5 or 7 amp.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
Motopumps
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Talking Got MotoPumps?

I have a MotoPump if you would like to test one!

Seriously, I build and sell them...

What is your testing plan? I make mine out of SLIME and Campbell Hausfeld parts, same as the CyclePump... but not for $100 each...

Rob

http://motopumps.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
I'm going through another one of those gear dilemmas. Which 12v mini compressor do I want? So like I usually do, I buy em all, check em all out and sell off the ones I don't like or give em away as gifts.

I'll be testing the following units, if anyone has any others they can recommend me testing please let me know.

Airman Sparrow
Airman Owl Battery powered or 12v (I'll be testing it directly connected to a battery)
Campbell Hausfeld RP0500
Campbell Hausfeld RP0600
Campbell Hausfeld RP0650
Slime 40001
Slime Smart Spair
Cycle Pump
Mystery pump - A friend has one which is about the same size as these others, I'll pick that one up today and get back to you with the make and model.

I have read the MCN article which tested these pumps but I wanted to test them myself because they left out some information. It would have been nice to know the temperature and or humidity level during the tests. If its hot and humid the pumps don't have to work as hard to reach 35psi, if it's cold and freezing they have to work much harder.

Another problem, they are human and may have lost a few psi during the install and removal of the air hose, I will address that concern by using a permanently attached hose to the bike and a threaded bard on each pump so I will not lose any air.

Concern #3 with the MCN review, they tested the pumps kind of weird, first they used the pumps for 3 minutes, released the hose, checked the pressure, then reinstalled the hose and pumped for another 2 minutes and checked the pressure again. Their reasoning was to give the Cycle Pump an edge because it's disclaimer was to not exceed 2-3 minutes for inflation. Well screw that! They also had to gauge the pressure between those cycles so again they probably lost a few psi.

My test will be to deflate a 180\70-16 tire by removing the valve core. I will then use either an EZ air gauge or professional pistol grip air gauge in line between the pump being tested and the tire. I'll hold a stopwatch side by side the whichever gauge I'm using and time inflation to 35psi and 40psi. (Hope I don't burn out the cycle pump)

If anyone has any concerns or ideas to be able to put all the pumps on a more equal footing I'd like to hear it. I'm currently just waiting on the two Airman pumps. I'll be picking up the Campbell Hausfeld RP0500 later today and will order the RP0650 later this afternoon.

I cannot currently source the RP0600, it seemed to have simply been an RP0500 with the addition of a built in gauge. But according to Dehager's post the specs are differing. He goes on to say

"Campbell Hausfeld RP060000DA
Specs:
12VDC, 15A
5.5" x 5.0" x 2.5"
Internally mounted gauge, max 200psi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very close to the RP0500 but it has a gauge...
12VDC
5.7" x 6.5" x 3.3"
Max 120psi, no gauge

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance"

I dig the size of the RP0600, on paper it seems like a nice size.

I have also seen dozens of other slime branded pumps that look to be pretty much the same size as most of these pumps, but I will not be picking them all up.

They include the
Slime Smart Spair
Slime 40003
Slime COMP04

Any and all input is welcome.

I would also be interested in testing the Motopump but I don't think I know anyone local who has one. Maybe I'll put it out there
Motopumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
So like I usually do, I buy em all, check em all out and sell off the ones I don't like or give em away as gifts.

Airman Sparrow
Campbell Hausfeld RP0500
Campbell Hausfeld RP0600
Campbell Hausfeld RP0650
Slime 40001
Slime Smart Spair
Cycle Pump
Wow, and all this time I thought I obsessed over getting the "right" gear too much.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #10
HaChayalBoded OP
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopumps
I have a MotoPump if you would like to test one!

Seriously, I build and sell them...

What is your testing plan? I make mine out of SLIME and Campbell Hausfeld parts, same as the CyclePump... but not for $100 each...

Rob

http://motopumps.com
Hi Rob,
Sure I wouldn't mind testing yours also. I could hold off a few days for the test, this way all of them are done during the same atmospheric conditions. I'll get back to you with the testing plan, gotta run to court! (I didn't even do anything wrong this time, I swear!)
Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #11
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
I didn't read the whole thread, but one question comes to mind: power.

How will you ensure a constant, equal power supply fuels each unit?

Can you get ahold of a regulated 12VDC power supply, of adequate amperage capacity, like this guy (just an example):

http://www.powerstream.com/12-volt.htm

If not, then you /could/ be introducing a bit of a confounding variable, no?

Ideally (as I think about it), you'd test off the regulated supply, AND THEN off a bike's power outlet (with the engine running at a constant RPM to prevent the test from chronically discharging the battery).

Actual amperage draw would be another good thing to know.

Of course, that presumes that ANY of this stuff is actually "good to know."

NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #12
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
I got mine for $9.99 at Walfart.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #13
davidpetersen
BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
MCN wasn't giving the CyclePump "an edge". The reason the CyclePump has a disclaimer against running the unit for more than 2-3 minutes is because of the possibility of unintentional tire overinflation. It inflates quickly so the longer inflation times required of some other pumps isn't necessary.

The 2-3 minute warning isn't there because of concerns that long term inflation will harm the pump. In testing we've run the CyclePump continuously for more than 30 minutes without failure, filling tire after tire after tire, until the aluminum case was too hot to touch, but it was still pumping. We finally got bored and stopped for lunch.

Here's the inflation performance figures for a typical CyclePump. Tires off a BMW R1150GS (same as an R12GS):

CyclePump Inflation Times
BMW R1100GS

Front tire 110/80x19
Minutes PSI
2 zero to 28
3 zero to 37.5
4 zero to 46

Rear tire 150/70x17
Minutes PSI

2 zero to 17.5
3 zero to 25.5
4 zero to 31.5
5 zero to 36.5
6 zero to 42

In our testing protocol we deflated the tire between each session. The bike was on the centerstand so the pump wasn't having to lift the weight of the bike, in addition to filling the tire.

We inflated the tire thru one of our EZAir Gauges, which slightly restricts and slows the inflation process. We drew power from the bike's battery. Because we were running continuous tests, we had a battery charger hooked up to the battery so voltage didn't drop.

Oh, yeah, the temperature was 68 degrees, the wind was from the SSW at 7 mph, barometric pressure was a steady 29.92, and I was wearing blue jeans and a short sleeve shirt.

In your testing you could also examine real world reliability scenarios reported to us by customers. Run over the pump with another bike, drop it from a moving motorcycle, drag it down the road by it's power cord for 3 miles. Then see which one still works.
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

http://www.bestrestproducts.com
davidpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Hey, David....

I have a stupid-sounding question for you, regarding the testing protocol you described:

The first time you blow up a balloon, by mouth, it's a bitch.

The second time, it's much easier.

The third, easier still.

I imagine it's a logarithmic curve that flattens out rather sharply, but ... whether tubed or tubeless tires are used, how do you account for this?

The only way I could think of is to conduct the test, say, a dozen times, changing the order (randomizing it) in which each pump is used (which is used 1st, which 2nd, etc.).

Did you factor this in? Thoughts??
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #15
davidpetersen
BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Tires aren't like latex balloons which start out in one shape and are designed to dramatically stretch and enlarge. One factor to consider is the final shape of the baloon. Poodle shapes require more tire pressure than clown shapes, as poodles tend to be wound more tightly than clowns.

Tires have a pre-engineered shape that really doesn't change much from the mold to the tire. Of course there is some small amount of "ballooning" that occurs as you inflate the tire, but because of the sturdy cords and steel bands, it's not really all that much.

If you wanted to eliminate any chance that the "ballooning" of the tire would affect the testing results, most scientists use a protocol that inflates and deflates the tire 103 times before starting the tests. Not 101 times, or 102 times, but 103 times exactly. Nothing more, nothing less. Then any stretch would be gone and you'd have an even playing field for all the testees.

Hey, these are just tire inflators! Not NASA moon rocket inflation modules.

Just having some fun..........
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

http://www.bestrestproducts.com
davidpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote