User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
KTM 640 Adventure luggage options explained

I'm prepping a new (well, not anymore!) 07 for a 6-month trip through Central America. Here's the fruit of my research, an update on the current state of motorcycle luggage for your bike:

Jesse: I have these on my F650 and I like the way they fit snug to the bike. Unfortunately they aren't made for the 640A. Next.

Touratech/KTM: The official KTM factory luggage is rebranded Touratech. Oddly enough, the racks and cases are significantly cheaper if you buy the KTM version rather than from Touratech directly. Someone should tell the beemer guys - I'd love to see GSes with orange logos Unfortunately the KTM boxes only come in 35L and 41L sizes. To get a 29L/35L combo (the only reasonably narrow choice) you have to buy the 29L from TT for about $100 more. The Zega boxes are raw aluminum, which reportedly gets black aluminum oxide all over your stuff. Plus they don't come with locks - you either use padlocks (two per case) or buy an expensive lock kit which requires drilling. After all is said and done, you're getting close to $1000, including a 30+ day backorder on the rack. Munn Racing (http://www.munnracing.com/) seems to be the best deal for the rack & 35L case.

Motosport Panniers: The panniers are visually similar to the Touratech Zegas, basically an aluminum box, and they come in 37L & 26L capacities. For about the same money you get a lot more case - they are powdercoated (no aluminum oxide issues) and they already have integrated locks. Motosport used to make their rack for the 640A but this is no longer available. However, if you ask for it they will include a drill-it-yourself mounting kit specific to the Touratech rack. After I found multiple reports in the forums that the cases leak (plus the 30+ day wait for the KTM/TT rack) I decided to pass. Again, it's about $1000 for the whole solution. http://www.moto-sportpanniers.com/

SW Motech: They make a bracket system that features adapters for several third-party cases including Givi, Hepco-Becker, Shad, and Krauser. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/28/77/ Apparently the brackets themselves come off the bike, "preserving the original visual appearance and size of your motorcycle." I keep my motorcycle covered in a protective layer of mud so I'm not really concerned about that. I also never take my luggage off. The luggage options don't excite me; all the boxes mentioned are too wide and too flimsy for the abuse I plan to give them.

Hepco Becker: If you can read german, you can probably order a rack for the 640Adv made by H-B themselves. Then you can use the german instructions to install the rack to the bike. Then you can mount the enormously wide plastic Gobi cases or the flimsy-feeling aluminum cases. No thanks.

Happytrails: Updated commentary at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7609199&postcount=38 After eight months of travel, I do NOT recommend this option. Former comments follow:

http://www.happy-trail.com/ These guys still make a rack for the 640A. They had it in stock. At $255 it's significantly cheaper than the TT rack. They sell a drill-it-yourself mounting kit for $50 for two cases (TT sells their pucks $50 per case). They also will sell you the whole kit, including powdercoated aluminum panniers, for about $900. They come in a variety of widths. The rack (which I bought) is indestructible. Their cases (which I did not) have a canyon cut (more crash survivability) and a great reputation online. However, I chose the DIY approach and Pelicans. BTW these guys are are smallish shop in Idaho and sell direct. Much nicer purchase experience than Munn talks to Touratech who probably subcontracts the manufacturing etc...

Pelican Cases: Indestructible and waterproof. A little over $100 each, available at almost any camera store. At least one company (Caribou) makes a whole mounting system for these boxes, but unfortunately they don't make one for the 640A. That's ok, a little drilling and the $50 mounting kit will bolt it up to the happytrail rack. The question is which case? The standard (used by Caribou and almost everyone online) is the 1550 side-loader, ~34L. I prefer top loading, but the only reasonable option is the 1440, which lists an external width of over 12", two inches wider than the 41L Zega I can't stand. I think much of that may be overhang around the lip but it's still big and heavy (~15 lbs each, vs ~10 lbs for the 1550 and ~8 for most of the aluminum panniers). I chose to go with the 1550s and ordered the Caribou versions, which include lid lanyards, retention straps, and lid locks. It's $50 per case more expensive than the bargain online dealer (www.boss-safety.com) but I'll take the convenience. Caribou luggage is at http://www.adventure-motorcycle.com/

So... I haven't mounted the rack to the bike yet (need to unbend my subframe first ) and I just ordered the Caribou-Pelicans. Since the 1550s are side-loading I have to make a decision about lid-in or lid-out. I'm considering lid-in on left side and lid-out on right side. The idea is that if the bike is on the sidestand, it will be leaning left. Lid-in on left side means that stuff will tend to "fall" into the body of the case as it opens. Lid-out on right side means that stuff will tend to stay in the case when opening. I'll post pictures when I get it mounted.

Jeff

stickfigure screwed with this post 08-12-2008 at 01:25 AM
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Tempo
Stumptown Native

Oddometer: 684
Thumb

Good summary. Interesting on the pricing of the KTM/TT re-brand, I didn't know that.

I just installed the HT rack on my 640A about a week ago myself. I agree that it's quite bomb proof. I haven't really used it yet except to prop up my bike when I dumped it on the ground the other night.
But not a scratch on the 640!

I am waiting for my cases. I went with the Teton (33L and 33" wide).

I use HT mounts with Caribou cases on my F650, just as you plan to do, except I used a BMW OEM rack. It works pretty well. With clever puck placement you can make it really easy to get on/off yet still have a very secure pannier.

It's not clear to me if/how the SW Motech side stand will play nicely with the HT panniers on since the side stand swings so wide. I've read here that it doesn't work well at all with Zegas. I expect to fiddle with the Teton's mount points to find a good solution.

Tempo screwed with this post 11-21-2007 at 01:06 PM
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
I have the SW Motech quicklock racks you mentioned with Pelican 1550s. They are quite good. The pelicans need no introduction but the quicklocks are great for me. I like to ride where I'm going, remove the rack/bag at the same time...in 45 seconds for both sides. Go back on in 1 minute (for both). So I can have my cake and eat it too. They look good, even with the tabs left on for quick connection, and the bags are freaking bolted to the racks with bonded sealing washers each side and 1/4" hex bolts and nylock nuts. I've been through utter downpours with no leakage and dropped the bike on them several times. Think about riding at the end of the day without those giant hard bags - it feels like a dirtbike again in 45 seconds.

Dean
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
durtrider
adventure sow

Oddometer: 668
Good stuff, Thanks. I'll probable follow your same route.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
no issues with the side stand and zegas to report.
Has anyone seriosly tweeked their sub frame in a get off? I worry about ripping the back of the bike off in the middle of no where so I try not to wreck... So far so good.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Surlyguy

Oddometer: n/a
moto-sport

I ordered the moto-sport panniers thinking that they would be as good as the Zega bags but have been pretty disappointed. I had TT bags for 20,000km on my previous bike.

First of all the cross over bar in the back has to get supported by the license plate bracket...which the bike doesn't come with.
The rear support cracked after being in the bike for a year and approx 5000km.
The cross over bar is not strong enough. If you tip over the bar cannot support the back half of the bike and it bends.

The mounting system has one bolt hole through the aluminum. When the bike vibrates, the hole enlarges.

The tack welded nut that the bag bolts to did not line up with the hole in the bag and snapped off.

This winter I intend to order the TT puck mounting kit and retro fit that to the moto sport rack and panniers.

Then I need to get that cross over bar re-engineered out of something stronger (I had already gussetted it when the weld failed). I need to staighten the right hand bag mount as well.

I emailed them twice looking to buy individual parts to replace the bent stuff but no response.

There are some good points to these bags. The liners and locks come with them...and...I can't think of anything else at the moment.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
my two cents....

this is just food for your thoughts, ideas to think about, i think this is what you are after, the price looks good.

Pelican Case 1430

these two site seemed to have a better selection, if the above is not what you were looking for.

All Cases

Hardigg Cases

if in doubt, try the link bellow and see what you can find.

Rotationally Molded Cases

i hope this has helped you.
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol
my two cents....

this is just food for your thoughts, ideas to think about, i think this is what you are after, the price looks good.

Pelican Case 1430

these two site seemed to have a better selection, if the above is not what you were looking for.

All Cases

Hardigg Cases

if in doubt, try the link bellow and see what you can find.

Rotationally Molded Cases

i hope this has helped you.
Thanks.

Unfortunately the 1430 is small. Only about 15L, less than half the 1550. It's not much bigger than a toolbox and far too small for a serious journey, even with my minimalist standards.

Hardigg makes a number of cases that look equivalent to the Pelican side-loaders, maybe with a wider selection of sizes. They seem to be about the same price as the Pelicans. Unfortunately no top-loader

I'm pretty sure there are no moulded top-loading cases available suitable for panniers (well, other than the Gobi). I looked far and wide to no avail. The guy that makes the Caribou luggage did a lot of research (including trying to modify the 1440s) but also came up blank. Check this thread starting about here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...102759&page=33

BTW I'm pretty sure it is possible to get the H-B Gobi mounted to a 640A. Going through the H-B catalogue it looks like they have a mount for our bikes (although it's hard to tell, nicht spreche Deutsch). Actually ordering one and getting it installed might be a challenge. The SW-Motech QuickLock mount has an adapter for the Gobi, which is probably the easiest solution for someone on this side of the pond. I would be worried about the total width of the rig. The Gobis are crazy wide by themselves, plus the rack, and unless they are careful with the adapter design it might push out the bags farther than necessary. Here's a pick of the back of one of the Gobi bags: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...35&postcount=1

Jeff
Old 11-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
what are the exterior dimmensions that you want?
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
HalfFastMoto
bRad

Oddometer: 1,160
1+ on Pelican Cases

I have the 1440 top load Pelican cases on my '03 Dakar. They work great and the price can't be beat!

Purchased a NOS Moto-Sport pannier rack off ebay last winter for $69 including shipping. Purchased the Pelican cases online for $104 each including shipping and then I purchased the Moto-Sport Universal Mounting Kit for $77 including shipping, see http://www.moto-sportpanniers.com/brackets.htm#mounting

I even put aluminum drawer pulls on the lids for convienent tie-down spots!

Here's a pic
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E

HalfFastMoto screwed with this post 11-22-2007 at 07:59 PM
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:39 AM   #11
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaAdvRider
I have the 1440 top load Pelican cases on my '03 Dakar. They work great and the price can't be beat!
More pictures please! I've read nearly every luggage thread on advrider and I'm pretty certain this is the first picture of a 1440 on a bike. Seriously, this is a pretty big deal. I'm especially interested in a pic from the rear showing the width.

Did you cut off the ribs on the inside of the case to mate to the rack?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-23-2007, 05:37 AM   #12
DucatiSoc
Orange.

Oddometer: 256
Another one (admittedly from Australia) is Andy Strapz expedition Panniers.

I've got em. :) They're strong! Look in the Australia forum for reviews.
DucatiSoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #13
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,820
This thread would benefit from loads of photos.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:39 AM   #14
HalfFastMoto
bRad

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoriman
More pictures please! I've read nearly every luggage thread on advrider and I'm pretty certain this is the first picture of a 1440 on a bike. Seriously, this is a pretty big deal. I'm especially interested in a pic from the rear showing the width.

Did you cut off the ribs on the inside of the case to mate to the rack?

Thanks,
Jeff
Here's a shot of the rear taken when I got home from a 1400mile 4 day BC Ride which included some nice offroad riding like the Harrison 4x4 trail

The width is comparable to my co-riders 950Adv with Jessies!

Yes, I used a dremel tool to remove rib material so that the mounting plate would fit flush but I don't feel the case integrety was compromised, fact of the matter is the case is soooo over designed that it would take much more than the relief of some ribs to compromise the case

On the top of the lids I used aluminum drawer pulls for tie down points. To increase the surface area where the drawer pull met the lid I used washers to distribute the load.

And then on the inside of the lid I used some aluminum plate.

All through points were sealed with silicon.
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #15
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,854
Hey guys,
If it was me I'd buy the ones that don't dump my shit on the ground when I opened them and that are easy to fix with a hammer when they get smashed,
but what do I know.
Also, some stuff is just butt ugly.
That bother's me.

Touratech's in the Gobi desert.
Mounting racks narrowed 4 inches total because the Comp pipe allows a more slim profile.
35/41 Liter.
SS hasps.
Lexan wear protector between bag and the mounting rack-3/8" thick.
Bag width less than the handlebar width.
b.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 11-25-2007 at 08:17 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote