Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #16
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaAdvRider
Here's a shot of the rear taken when I got home from a 1400mile 4 day BC Ride which included some nice offroad riding like the Harrison 4x4 trail
Thanks much for those 1440 pics! What's the total width of the bike? It doesn't look as bad as I was expecting but it's still pretty wide.

I'm still committed to the 1550s though. While it probably won't be a huge issue out of the country, I split traffic a *lot* when riding in Kalifornia.

Jeff
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #17
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Touratech's in the Gobi desert.
Mounting racks narrowed 4 inches to because the Comp pipe allows a more slim profile.
35/41 Liter.
SS hasps.
Lexan wear protector between bag and the mounting rack-3/8" thick.
Bag width less than the handlebar width.
b.
Would you provide more specifics on how you narrowed the racks? Pictures from the rear?

Thanks,
Jeff
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #18
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,765
Hi Jeff,
I am on a dial up connection for a couple of days so pictures are very difficult just now. I will post some ASAP-a day or three.

If you can get a picture of any Adventure from the rear with the Touratech/Hepco Becker racks you will see that they provided plenty of clearance between the left bag and the muffler, when I added the KTM competition pipe this distance got even larger and looked odd to me.

From splitting traffic lanes in California and Central/South America, I knew how important it was to get the bag configuration more narrow than the bars for safety's sake so out came the hacksaw, air grinder and torch.

It was a tough job but I just hacked, heated and bent and then rewelded brackets and loops and back braces until everything moved toward the centerline of the bike and fit at the original mounting points.
You are limited on the right side but I moved the rack in as much as possible and left a couple of inches on the muffler side.
I tacked it together with the torch and took it to a pro for the final.
It came OK in the end but it turned into work.

I kept the bag width the same on both sides from the tire centerline for looks and equal wind drag.
You can see in the pics that I had bar weights, actually the one on the throttle side is a throttle lock-made by Throttlemeister. the width in the rear was less than the stock bars plus the bar end weights.
The optics can fool you.

BTW I crashed the bags plenty of times, they are tough. I never broke the racks either. I have had and seen worse luck with other manufacturer's products over the years.
This is the bike ready to go to Russia and Mongolia-Spring '07.
I rode to Seattle from my home in Wisconsin, air shipment to Korea, ferry to Russia and overland to Europe via Vladivostok, Mongolia and Lake Baikal, Siberia, Moscow and Budapest.
My bike is in Germany now.

Hope these help.

bill.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 11-25-2007 at 09:27 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
BirtDike
Like herding cats

Oddometer: 52
Thumb

Goddammit bmwktmbill!!! I've been thinking about doing that to mine, now I'm jealous! It really irks me how far the standard rack sticks out... I'm going to be thinking about this job for the next month now.

That is a really nice job you did there. Just how I would have done it myself... If I had access to an oxy/acetylene set and all.
BirtDike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:18 AM   #20
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Thanks for the compliment, maybe I am not crazy as it bugged the heck out of me until I fixed it.
b.

Bill Shockley
Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #21
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,955
Nice looking ride Bill, just curious as to why you run hard bags? My guess is for security and if you're running Shinko's or Kenda's on there in those pics?

Oh yeah, and I'm jealous of the last trip you described!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #22
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaAdvRider

Yes, I used a dremel tool to remove rib material so that the mounting plate would fit flush but I don't feel the case integrety was compromised, fact of the matter is the case is soooo over designed that it would take much more than the relief of some ribs to compromise the case

hey Warshington,

Thank you for posting pics and a brief description of your use of the 1440s. I just wanted to mention that the ribs you removed appear to be a brace for the hinges/lid while open so I wouldn't worry about removing some/all of them.

I was thinking the same thing if I get hardbags. I would go with either SW Motech or Happy Trails and use hose clamps (adel clamps) to attach the bags to the racks. Then the clamps can break away in a spill and be replaced easily with a few spares just in(side the) case...

By the way, what did you do with the wheels and the handle that came with the 1440s? And do you think the internal organizers would be useful? Particularly thinking about the lid organizers.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #23
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
Nice looking ride Bill, just curious as to why you run hard bags? My guess is for security and if you're running Shinko's or Kenda's on there in those pics?

Oh yeah, and I'm jealous of the last trip you described!
Skibum,
Ya, the hard bags are for security, waterproofness and convenience.
I chose the Touratechs for looks and ease of repair if they get crashed.
The KTM is so Teutonic it just looks good with them on the back.
I'm a classic kind of guy(old) and nothing says "long way from home" better.

The Kenda 270's made the run from Wisconsin to Seattle, no drama...squishy squishy-cheap cheap.
Karoo's and MT21's in Russia-Mongolia.
b.

Bill Shockley
Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #24
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,585
About the best hard case setup I've seen is the one JimJib did on the 2002 640 I bought from him.

He used the KTM luggage frame and then mounted Pelican cases to the frames using heavy duty hose clamps on the frame rails, drilling holes for the clamps in the Pelicans and sealing them. He also carpeted the inside of the cases and added cable lines to stop the opening of the lids at 90 degrees. Sturdy and cheap.

My issue with any hard luggage was that is I had to put a foot down in a corner when the bike was coming out from under me, it would get caught beneath the bag and the ground. It friggin hurt. Another thing that concerned me was bending the subframe in a crash. That would be costly and sucky.

So, on my 2005 640 I went with the Dirt Bags and I've been very happy with them. Anything that needs to be protected from water is properly dealt with. The rest of the stuff just sits in the bags.

You can see the hard luggage nicely in this shot, along with the retaining cables to keep the lids from flopping all the way down.

Another shot.

I prefer the soft stuff though.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #25
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,955
Good thought, I didn't even think of the foot pinned under the bag concept or the crappiness of a bent subframe. I do use a Pelican case as a topbox for around town and I like my soft luggage setup for whenever I manage to get somewhere far away, if I ever manage it.......

RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #26
boyscout
sittin' down

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoriman
Hepco Becker: If you can read german, you can probably order a rack for the 640Adv made by H-B themselves. Then you can use the german instructions to install the rack to the bike. Then you can mount the enormously wide plastic Gobi cases or the flimsy-feeling aluminum cases. No thanks.
You have got to be kidding. I installed the Hepco Becker rack on my LC4 in less than two hours. It isn´t that complicated and is the best designed and built rack I have seen. The way it mounts with inserts into the back of the subframe rather than bolting to the top is unique as far as I know and will save the subframe in the event of a serious drop.

The aluminum boxes are the strongest ones made in my opinion. While others are simply welded at the corners, HB´s are corrugated for rigidity and reinforced with an aluminum ridge along the bottom. They bolt to a steel frame that is then attached to the main frame with quick release bindings. The steel frame makes them easily field repairable with simple tools. I´ve had mine for 17K miles and quite a few drops and they still work great and are 100% waterproof.

boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 PM   #27
bmwktmbill
Traveler

If you look at how KTM mounts the Touratech cases you will see that they are high and to the rear.
This gives up some handling but saves your legs.
Even with my bike lowered paddling wasn't a problem.
I never trapped my foot or leg while riding the bike(I did once after a crash but the frikkin bike ended up on top of my leg)

When I see how others do their mounts I think this wasn't a consideration.
KTM does know what they are doing and I think the acessories are engineered by riders.
b.

Bill Shockley
Old 11-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #28
HalfFastMoto
bRad

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
hey Warshington,

I was thinking the same thing if I get hardbags. I would go with either SW Motech or Happy Trails and use hose clamps (adel clamps) to attach the bags to the racks. Then the clamps can break away in a spill and be replaced easily with a few spares just in(side the) case...
You have a good point. When I was putting this together I wasn't considering the quick release scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
By the way, what did you do with the wheels and the handle that came with the 1440s? And do you think the internal organizers would be useful? Particularly thinking about the lid organizers.
I didn't do anything about the wheels, they're still on the boxes As for the telescopic handle I simply unbolted the thing from the one on the left box and kept it on the right box. I kept the top handle on the left box and removed the handle on the right box which allows me to stack them when they're not on the bike plus I can easily roll them around
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #29
Jelly
Super Dork

Oddometer: 210
Eh? Moto-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlyguy
I ordered the moto-sport panniers thinking that they would be as good as the Zega bags but have been pretty disappointed. I had TT bags for 20,000km on my previous bike.

First of all the cross over bar in the back has to get supported by the license plate bracket...which the bike doesn't come with.
The rear support cracked after being in the bike for a year and approx 5000km.
The cross over bar is not strong enough. If you tip over the bar cannot support the back half of the bike and it bends.

The mounting system has one bolt hole through the aluminum. When the bike vibrates, the hole enlarges.

The tack welded nut that the bag bolts to did not line up with the hole in the bag and snapped off.

This winter I intend to order the TT puck mounting kit and retro fit that to the moto sport rack and panniers.

Then I need to get that cross over bar re-engineered out of something stronger (I had already gussetted it when the weld failed). I need to staighten the right hand bag mount as well.

I emailed them twice looking to buy individual parts to replace the bent stuff but no response.

There are some good points to these bags. The liners and locks come with them...and...I can't think of anything else at the moment.
I was a bit surprised to see all of the issues you have had! My experience has been completely different than yours to say the least. I love mine and they have been bomb proof. Went down with mine a couple times on my loaded GS. Never even phased the bags or racks. I still use my original pucks too. They can leak a tiny bit during a deluge but I think the leak occurs where the pucks mate up to the bag surface via the screw holes. A bead of silicone may remedy this but it hasn’t been an issue for me. Any time I have contacted them for inquiries the response has been prompt.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-panniers-4654
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #30
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
If you look at how KTM mounts the Touratech cases you will see that they are high and to the rear.
b.
Ah ha, first I had heard of this. I was going to order a 29L case for the left and a 35L for the right, both in the "neutral" position but your post is giving me pause. Are they rotated at all?
Thanks, nick
nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote