Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #31
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,685

I've had good luck with the Moto-Sport Yukon 2 soft panniers. I've used them a lot in the 3 years that I've had them and they're still going strong. My only complaint was the rear crossbrace didn't line up properly when I first installed the racks. The subsiquent tweaking without heating caused the brace to crack but a 2 minute weld job fixed that. The zippers do let water past in a real downpour so I just put a plastic bag into each case before I drop the liner bag in and that does the trick.
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #32
humdinger
bp

Oddometer: 616
Hey Scottcol and Skibum, can you travel two up with those saddle bag arrangements?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #33
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger
Hey Scottcol and Skibum, can you travel two up with those saddle bag arrangements?
Hell yes! I did last year. Here's the results.

Entire story here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=baja

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #34
mattmexico
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoriman

Pelican Cases: Indestructible and waterproof. A little over $100 each, available at almost any camera store. At least one company (Caribou) makes a whole mounting system for these boxes, but unfortunately they don't make one for the 640A. That's ok, a little drilling and the $50 mounting kit will bolt it up to the happytrail rack. The question is which case? The standard (used by Caribou and almost everyone online) is the 1550 side-loader, ~34L. I prefer top loading, but the only reasonable option is the 1440, which lists an external width of over 12", two inches wider than the 41L Zega I can't stand. I think much of that may be overhang around the lip but it's still big and heavy (~15 lbs each, vs ~10 lbs for the 1550 and ~8 for most of the aluminum panniers). I chose to go with the 1550s and ordered the Caribou versions, which include lid lanyards, retention straps, and lid locks. It's $50 per case more expensive than the bargain online dealer (www.boss-safety.com) but I'll take the convenience. Caribou luggage is at http://www.adventure-motorcycle.com/
yo Jeff

I used the KTM panier frame rack and bolted on Pelican cases for my trip to Costa Rica and back. Just bolted the boxes on, sealed the holes with Aquaseal, diving related silicon glue. Did a great job.

mattmexico screwed with this post 12-02-2007 at 09:07 AM
mattmexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #35
Happy Rider
Old but nOOb

Oddometer: 97
almost everything i have seen talks about sidecases (panniers). i have a 2006 and would like to mount a topcase. ideally i would like to mount the case KTM has for the 950 that matches the plastic sidecases, but i can't seem to find much info. any leads here?
Happy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #36
boyscout
sittin' down

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Rider
almost everything i have seen talks about sidecases (panniers). i have a 2006 and would like to mount a topcase. ideally i would like to mount the case KTM has for the 950 that matches the plastic sidecases, but i can't seem to find much info. any leads here?
It is probably made by Hepco Becker since they make their side bags. The US importer is Eurotech Motorsports. I have the aluminum standard top case and really like it. Just make sure to get the mount specifically for the LC4 which they sell as well. I bought the generic bolt on one and it had a tendancy to vibrate loose until I welded it in place.

boyscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #37
Happy Rider
Old but nOOb

Oddometer: 97
boyscoout
thanks for the link to eurotech, their website is pretty informative. i appreciate the help. i like to start with a topcase and add the panniers later.
Happy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #38
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfigure
Happytrails: http://www.happy-trail.com/ These guys still make a rack for the 640A. They had it in stock. At $255 it's significantly cheaper than the TT rack. They sell a drill-it-yourself mounting kit for $50 for two cases (TT sells their pucks $50 per case). They also will sell you the whole kit, including powdercoated aluminum panniers, for about $900. They come in a variety of widths. The rack (which I bought) is indestructible. Their cases (which I did not) have a canyon cut (more crash survivability) and a great reputation online. However, I chose the DIY approach and Pelicans. BTW these guys are are smallish shop in Idaho and sell direct. Much nicer purchase experience than Munn talks to Touratech who probably subcontracts the manufacturing etc...
I just realize I've neglected this thread for a long time, and need to correct my earlier assessment.

After 8+ months of riding, let me announce at maximum lung volume that I WAS WRONG! DON'T LISTEN!

The happytrails rack design is terrible. The frame itself seems sturdy enough, but it involves two long, narrow bolts that thread into the subframe. These bolts are not especially strong (stainless or aluminium, neither sufficient) and easily shear the tiny bit that sticks into the subframe.

In my eight months of traveling (so far), I have already sheared FOUR FUCKING BOLTS in the subframe, each requiring a shop with a drill and bolt extractors.

It is true that my subframe does not lie exactly straight. Neither will yours the first time you drop it; you don't get a 350lb (dry) RTW-capable bike without some limitations. This doesn't change the fact that the rack is designed incredibly, incredibly poorly.

At this point, the bolt on one side of my subframe has been drilled out and rethreaded to a larger size. The other size has the best (steel) bolt I could find at a Home Depot in central america (metric 8.8, equivalent to std grade 5). The subframe has been professinally bent back to "close to stock". I still expect to have problems.

I don't know if the stock TT-based mounts are better, but I very much doubt that they can be much worse. Whatever you do, don't buy the Happytrails mounts.

Jeff
Old 08-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #39
boyscout
sittin' down

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfigure
After 8+ months of riding, let me announce at maximum lung volume that I WAS WRONG! DON'T LISTEN!

The happytrails rack design is terrible.

Totally agree. I had a HT rack a long time ago. The welds on it looked like a small child had gotten loose with a tube of toothpaste.

If it makes you feel any better the bolts on my Hepko Becker bags are larger (have to drill out the subframe to mount them) and I have broken three bolts. I think it is a weak point of any hard panier system. Bent subframe, multiple drops and too much gear don't help matters.

boyscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #40
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,478
Bump

yes; I checked the fooking index

Anybody having luck with the H-B Xplorer stuff?

http://www.hepco-becker.de/_eng/katalog.pdf (page 19)
Old 07-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #41
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,715
Cody,
Don't think I would put a box on a bike unless I could pick up the bike with the box full of what ever it is I intend to carry. Better lay the KTM on it's side and pick it up a couple of times.

Next imagine it laying down hill in a ditch!!

Do you still want a box??
I am 5'10 and weigh 136 lbs.

No way for me.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #42
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Cody,
Don't think I would put a box on a bike unless I could pick up the bike with the box full of what ever it is I intend to carry. Better lay the KTM on it's side and pick it up a couple of times.

Next imagine it laying down hill in a ditch!!

Do you still want a box??
I am 5'10 and weigh 136 lbs.

No way for me.
bill
They make the Panniers too, not just the top box. I'm not sure (not many street miles under my ass yet), but I'm more of a "tail bag" or waterproof duffle type of guy.

I'm 6'1" and 225lbs with a 34" inseam. I could probably pick YOU up laying downhill in a ditch.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #43
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,715
Easily Cody, one time I asked my buddy how strong he was...I was wearing my Aerostitch Darien jacket.

My friend Randy is 5'9'' and has long arms, he is a cement finisher and Polish.
Probably weighs over 200 and isn't fat.

He grabbed a double handfull of my coat and spun me 90 degrees from vertical holding me at arms length, then set me back down on the ground real nicely.

A guy like me carries pepper spray and acts respectful at all times.

b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #44
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Easily Cody, one time I asked my buddy how strong he was...I was wearing my Aerostitch Darien jacket.

My friend Randy is 5'9'' and has long arms, he is a cement finisher and Polish.
Probably weighs over 200 and isn't fat.

He grabbed a double handfull of my coat and spun me 90 degrees from vertical holding me at arms length, then set me back down on the ground real nicely.

A guy like me carries pepper spray and acts respectful at all times.

b
Old 08-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #45
Clover
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Subframe break, luggage option

Ok... I'm new on this forum, I've been a lurker for couples of month, New as Adventure rider, and finally, French Canadian From North shore of Montreal. Ok, so my problem is, I have a plastic topcase and after two long ride, two subframe break. the same two spot of every break I've found on this forum.... I saw some who reinforced their subframe but I don't really want to go this way.

So when I see all panniers you have (they look really heavier than my topcase), I want to know If thoses panniers, topcase and all are made only to do soft gravel road or asphalt?? I don't consider me has a hard rider, I'm riding the way I'm sure to come back home (for me and the bike). I think the worst for the bike is washboard that are present on wide open road at high speed.

Now I need a way to travel with my luggages, but if I buy panniers, I don't want to leave them and my back end on the side of the road...

On my way to weld it for a second time, nearly the same spots, I'm not sure I really want to go for a third breakage...

The Bike is a 2007 and can be considered mostly as new with 20 000kms on it.

Clover screwed with this post 08-01-2009 at 01:44 PM
Clover is offline   Reply With Quote