User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #46
MZcountryboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,450
Plated!

Riding it at Cromag Campout next weekend!!!!!!! HUZZAH!!!

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #47
bongodave
Join my cult!

Oddometer: 39,586
Lookin' good!
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #48
JRAM
sherpa

Oddometer: 39
Nice bike!

I always wanted one of the 350s. They were rare back then. I still think the all red XRs from the 80s look the best.
JRAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #49
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
From 85 XL350R

I just drug one of these home. Its not going to be fixed the engine is seized tight. So its getting torn down. I wanted the forks.
That leads me to my question.

How much Fork Oil does it need? Suggestions on Oil Weight too and opinions on the forks? They're being transplanted to my XT550. So far it appears to be a direct swap. The bearings appear the same.

Thanks in advance for a fork level answer.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #50
Restoman2
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I've finally gotten past the worry about the carbs on these bikes reading you guys post. I've been bad and have not adjusted the valves ever. I have feelers but have no idea how to do this. Any takers? It's not as nice as your bikes, but it's come quite a ways. I can't find the newest pictures, but the plastic was painted (know) it was past coming back and free handed the black vinyl. It looks decent now. Cosmetically I want to get some original style honda wings for the fuel tank.

Restoman2 screwed with this post 05-17-2009 at 03:05 PM
Restoman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #51
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,955
Mine is long gone,,,

Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #52
madmikesmech
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question XR350R, just picked it up

Hello,
I'm a noob to this forum. Glad to be here.Just picked up this '83 XL350, every thing works good,it isn't cherry but oh well mechanically it is sound.as with all "good deals" it will need some TLC AND a good rear knobby. Great power starts up o.k. but it will not idle. I have not looked into any causes yet,while browsing found this site and thought I would throw it out there. My gut says to check valve clearances, before I get into that dual carb setup!!! I am open to any and all ideas. Thanx,
Mike
madmikesmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #53
Restoman2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikesmech
Hello,
I'm a noob to this forum. Glad to be here.Just picked up this '83 XL350, every thing works good,it isn't cherry but oh well mechanically it is sound.as with all "good deals" it will need some TLC AND a good rear knobby. Great power starts up o.k. but it will not idle. I have not looked into any causes yet,while browsing found this site and thought I would throw it out there. My gut says to check valve clearances, before I get into that dual carb setup!!! I am open to any and all ideas. Thanx,
Mike
Get the carbs off as a whole is easy. I just dipped mine all together in carb cleaner and took the jets out to make sure they are cleaned up good. The second carb on mine was nasty. The PO just putted around in the woods and never opened up the throttle. A good 4 hour dip and you will be working well.

The PO also gave me a XR250 manual instead of a 350 one!!!!! Anyone want one? I need to know how to adjust these valves myself. Does honda have a drop in replacement filter? Is it a dry type?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #54
Restoman2
n00b

Using Google and the 250 manual I'm going to be able to "adjust the valve clearance XR350R" tonight.

http://www.justxr.com/info/xr_valve_set.html
Old 05-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #55
madmikesmech
n00b

Thumb '83xr350

Thanks, sounds like a logical solution. The reason I was not blaming the carbs was the fact it started easily and had good power. But a good cleaning can't hurt and it will eliminate that as being a what if. Also, it will give me a chance to see if the jet sizes are correct. I read in this forum the two carbs have different jet sizes. Thanx again for the input, Mike

madmikesmech screwed with this post 05-20-2009 at 06:44 AM
Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #56
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Ok I tore down the 350 to scalp the parts out of it.
I only wanted the frontend for a project.
Theres something strange.
The Frame said 85 XL350R but it had dual carbs.
The front wheel does not have a speedo drive to suggest XR350R, the rear shock (its junk bent shaft) is full adjustable.
The forks appear to have the 280mm travel of the XR verses 8" (best I can find) of the XL.
So all this adds up to someone changed the engine and suspension from an XR to an XL, of did I just get hold of a strange beast?
Curiousosity anyway.
The engine had water in it and was rusted up cause of the cylinder. Once I got the top end apart the thing was nearly prefect in the bottom end. Rod is tight, mains good etc. It shifted gears.
Go figure. I got an odd ball.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #57
madmikesmech
n00b

Question '83 Honda XR350 Dual Carbs.

Hello, can anyone tell me ... does this port get plugged off, or is this a vent ? Also, are exploded views of these carbs available ?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #58
MLB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Ok I tore down the 350 to scalp the parts out of it.
I only wanted the frontend for a project.
Theres something strange.
The Frame said 85 XL350R but it had dual carbs.
The front wheel does not have a speedo drive to suggest XR350R, the rear shock (its junk bent shaft) is full adjustable.
The forks appear to have the 280mm travel of the XR verses 8" (best I can find) of the XL.
So all this adds up to someone changed the engine and suspension from an XR to an XL, of did I just get hold of a strange beast?
Curiousosity anyway.
The engine had water in it and was rusted up cause of the cylinder. Once I got the top end apart the thing was nearly prefect in the bottom end. Rod is tight, mains good etc. It shifted gears.
Go figure. I got an odd ball.
Sounds to me like you had a factory XR dual sport. (in effect) Plateable from the XL frame and then the XR goodies. Nice choices by someone. Too bad it's trashed.
MLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #59
MLB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB
Sounds to me like you had a factory XR dual sport. (in effect) Plateable from the XL frame and then the XR goodies. Nice choices by someone. Too bad it's trashed.
SO this thread needs revived. I need to talk 350's!!

MLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #60
hugobadmf
n00b

Hi there!!!!!!

Hi i cant help you about the vent , but i find a exploded view of the carbs i hope it works (by this time im very sure that the bike is runing lol) BTW im getting an '84 xr350r soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikesmech
Hello, can anyone tell me ... does this port get plugged off, or is this a vent ? Also, are exploded views of these carbs available ?
hugobadmf is offline   Reply With Quote