Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #61
MLB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugobadmf
Hi i cant help you about the vent , but i find a exploded view of the carbs i hope it works (by this time im very sure that the bike is runing lol) BTW im getting an '84 xr350r soon.
Check Service Honda for the parts fiche, they have exploded diagrams of most of the parts I think. Do the setup to make it a remote server (? I think), works very well.
MLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #62
MLB
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB
Check Service Honda for the parts fiche, they have exploded diagrams of most of the parts I think. Do the setup to make it a remote server (? I think), works very well.
I've got an oem exhaust in excellent conditon (85) and coming forks and triple clamps from same bike. Wonderful condtion, just had new fork seals and oil in June. New boots. PUtting CR front end on mine. PM if interested in anything. Will have 2 front wheels too.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #63
jupiter119
n00b

Oddometer: 2
2 Carb XR350

I've read the earlier posts about the DREADED duel carb XR350 and have to clarify some misconceptions. The second carb only opens up in higher throttle range, so it acts as a secondary. In low and mid range throttle the engine works off the single carb like any other single carb bike. When the second carb opens up there is a slight delay but it has never hindered my riding. I've owned my 83 for 6 years now and love as an exclusive trail bike. Maybe one of the best dedicated trail bikes out there.

Also, other differences that make the 85 a better bike is the dry sump set up(oil in the frame), aluminum swingarm, and it shares more parts with later bikes so you can still get aftermarket plastic, seat and gastanks. Clearly the 85 is the pinnacle of the 350's but good luck finding a good one, or just buy an XR400.
jupiter119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #64
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikesmech
Hello, can anyone tell me ... does this port get plugged off, or is this a vent ?
It is an overflow for when the bike tips over....or a vent...same deal...

run a piece of tube from it down by the frame spar clip on the right side, behind the kickstarter, and back into the 'common nook' on the swingarm for all vent tubes/ crankcase vent lines under the shock, on the back of the swingarm..

BTW:

The DUAL carb (when setup properly) absolutely rocks and has a noticeable power difference.

People think that modding the carb will 'give more HP'...instead of knowing how the setup(duals) actually function
" It opens sooner!"
or
"I put bigger jets in it"

and after they leave the :STOCK: jetting, 99% never seem to run as well, or return economy. Some blow up quickly.

When the duals are set EXACTLY to spec, as per Honda manual, the bike runs great.

Alot of mistakes are made when using the secondary carb actuator, and jetting..
The bike is setup with a precision carburation system, more finicky than most.
It must be set correctly, for a reason, reason being multi billion dollar companies engineering of a fuel for a machine they produce.

Leave it that way.

If you actually don't know how to set it up, after you took it apart to 'set it correctly' send it to a reputable shop or Honda guru.

Everyone else just makes a great bike a poor running one...gas hog, with no response, and less power.

I had a XL250R, at 85mph(indicated, it was still pulling hard in sixth...i was testing a full rebuild, and by then it was beyond my limits...lol)

It was also running about 90-110 mpg. The plug was tannish white.

Another local rider had exactly the same bike. His would barely run over 60mph. It got 50mpg.
At the time, we had the same setup. Mine was set exactly to OEM spec.

His was...'carb problems, i guess, I never could get them set right'...

I spent years tuning the carbs, plugs, filters, pipes, and the like.
You know what worked best?
Stock everything...jets, pipes, everything..

Best usable power, low end, fat mid...and it was quiet with the stock pipe, making tremedous torque from idle...plus, setting the carb and pipes back to stock make a one kick starter out of a 20,000 mile 250.

yrmv

BTW

I have a front wheel, a triple tree + stem, rear swingarm, a shock, airbox, and gas tank from the
'non oil in frame model'
I just thought i'd let you guys know, before i list the stuff in the flea market...I might have a few other things, but i'd have to specifically look, above is the most of it list.

in a few weeks, maybe

valvecrusher screwed with this post 11-04-2009 at 03:50 PM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #65
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,182
didn't the 96 xr400 evolve from these bikes?
honda bumped the displacement and added oil in the frame (more capacity) and an oil cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
These were only made 83-85, when Honda inexpictedly decided to discontinue production. The 83,4 had dual carbs, while the 85 went to a single. The 85 had a slight bump in displacement at 353 cc. These, especially the 85, are great little trail bikes. You'll find more info over at thumper talk. Here's mine:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 AM   #66
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,896
Bill, the 85 has the oil in frame, which makes it a bit more desirable IMO. You can't see it because of the fender bag, but the cut out for the oil cooler is there, too. I don't know why Honda discontinued these, because it left a pretty wide gap between the 250 and the 600. And yes, I think the 400 evolved from this design.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 AM   #67
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
The 350 is one XR I have always liked, but never owned for some reason. I have had 75, 80, 200, 250, & 500 XR's. I think I need to start searching for a deal on a 350 now .
Old 12-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #68
KLXplode
Desert Hunter

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB
SO this thread needs revived. I need to talk 350's!!
I love the all black!!!! More pics please?
KLXplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #69
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,149
MZ -

Headed to the DMV on Sat to change the plates over to antique (25+ years) plates.

She has been great so far - and I picked up a clean parts 85 XR350R shortly after our rendezvous in PA to make sure she keeps on ticking for years to come.

She now has a hydraulic brake switch and LED brake light too.. i'm putting on repro graphics this weekend.

Thanks again.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #70
MZcountryboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled
MZ -

Headed to the DMV on Sat to change the plates over to antique (25+ years) plates.

She has been great so far - and I picked up a clean parts 85 XR350R shortly after our rendezvous in PA to make sure she keeps on ticking for years to come.

She now has a hydraulic brake switch and LED brake light too.. i'm putting on repro graphics this weekend.

Thanks again.

Nice! Glad to hear you're taking her the rest of the way, that bike was so much fun. So easy to ride.

Pics expected by sunday night!!!!

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #71
MLB
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridehard_ridefast
I love the all black!!!! More pics please?
Here's my pics: http://s691.photobucket.com/home/mlb007
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #72
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
fork upgrade

Anybody swap out a compleat front end from a modern bike? I can pick up a set of forks from a drz400 for cheap . Looks like the front wheel from the xr will fit with a bit of modification but not sure about the steering head bearings. Anyone know a resorce for bearing and steer tube specs?
It looks like I need 30X47X15 steer tube bearings.

redbastard screwed with this post 01-18-2010 at 05:44 PM
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #73
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Here are some pics of 86 XR350 project bike, i used it as my main trail bike for 12 months, and it was real good!

This the trail version

This is what it looked like when I sold it.

RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #74
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,149
I bought MZ's bike a few months back - he did an excellent job restoring it. I get more enjoyment out of riding this bike than any other.

Since I bought her I have added an LED brake light, an Antique VA tag and some repro decals. I bought a very nice parts bike as well that has been nice to have around. Here is how she sits as of tonight.

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #75
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,145
How much for an '85 XR350?

I'm still trying to find out for sure if it's single-carb for sure. Haven't seen it yet but from photos it looks like it's a 25 year old bike, well used but no rust and not horrifically abused. Looks all stock.

I'm trying to figure out what a fair price is.

The big problem is I can't ride at the moment so I may have to let it pass since I won't be able to give it a whirl for at least a month. I know what an XR400 feels like from a couple of test rides on them, what feels different on the 350?

Anything specific to the XR350 that I should be on the lookout for like parts that tend to shake, seize, break, get lost, splinter, dry rot, explode on contact or cause loss of vision in one or both eyes? I know about the swingarm pivot on the XR400 and I assume that after all these years all the steering head and wheel bearings are probably shot.

I'd rather have an XR400 but if I could get a decent deal on this one (I'm thinking maybe $700-$800 range) it seems like it would do the job. Just looking for something more manageable than my 950SE on the really tight single track.

Anything besides a larger gas tank required to make it woods ready?
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote