ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
KTM Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Iowa riding

My son is considering attending Iowa State in Ames for his Phd program (evidently they have a great biomechanics program). I'm looking for some insight from those familiar with the state and area.

Being from Michigan, he grew up in the trees - not the open flat land most of us Michiganders (wrongly?) think of being all there is in Iowa. He's doing his masters in Laramie Wyoming - yes its out in the high plains, but not far from the mountains. He loves riding the twisties, and is now a ADV wanna be.

So the big question is - what's is there for riding in Iowa? I've been telling him about the Great River Road - but he wants more. He is also into back country backpacking, or at a minimum camping of some sort. I want him to base a decision primarily on the academics, but understand why he wants to live in an area that offers a lifestyle he will enjoy. His other top pick is University of Oregon - he loves the idea of the area, but feels the Iowa program is a better fit with his research interests.

Any input appreciated!

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,918
A great place to hike and camp near ISU is Ledges State Park. It is a gem on the plains. Also Whiterock Conservancy south and East of Coon Rapids on Highway 30. Great hiking, bird viewing there. Carlson Recreation Area west of Stratford Iowa. Hiking there as well. Also check out Loess Hills State Park south of Sioux City, on highway 29 and county K45. Swan Lake State Park near Carroll Iowa at (or near) the junctions of Highway 30 & Highway 71. Most of these are camping, and hiking. As I recall there were quite a few trails near Ledges SP but it's been 15 years since I've ridden there.

There are endless gravel roads in Iowa near the University too. Most of the straight and flat. But you will find little gems of hidden woodlands dotted along the gravel roads. He just needs to get out and explore. Hope I helped some.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,620
Oregon
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
mattoid1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I second the Loess Hills suggestion, they run from north of Sioux City down to south of I80,at least. A ways from Ames, but well worth the trip.
If he is a fan of British iron he should check out Baxter Triumph in Marne, south of 80 at exit 51. Randy Baxter may have some excellent suggestions for rides, also.
mattoid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
WolvesLower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
In my opinion the best riding in the State is in the Northeastern Corner.
Towns like Decorah, McGregor, Marquette, Elkader, Elgin and Lansing to name a few.
In addition these towns are close to Wisconsin milk roads and Mississippi River Roads.
Good times
WolvesLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
mattoid1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
WL, good suggestions also. I had forgotten about that area. Strawberry Point to Elkader and on to Prairie du Chien is a great ride. Stop at Gunder and have a Gunder Burger, one pound!
mattoid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
FreeHugger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
another thread

You can always have him join this thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...67543&page=395
and just read back for good riding suggestions or keep up with upcoming planned events or group rides

Plus i think many of us just pull up google maps and turn on the satellite view, pick a destination, and look for brown rds (level B / minimal maintenance roads) to find the most exciting way to get there.

2005 R1200GS

o-?o

FreeHugger screwed with this post 10-14-2014 at 02:32 PM
FreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
+1 ne Iowa. Rolling hills, pretty scenery, picturesque little towns. Some curvy roads. Go to the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa. Worth it.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
South West Wisconsin. Rolling hills, pretty scenery, picturesque little towns. all the roads are curvy!..

Fixed it for you.

Just a few hours away is the Mindoro cut, Wildcat MTN., Alphabet soup and any road with coulee, an animal, or valley in the name.
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Rickboss
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Ne

Lived in Decorah for 4 1/2 years. Great riding around there and Hwy 16 north of there in MN is a dream.

Like a previous rider said, lots of gravel but straight lines. Winds can get intense around Ames and western Iowa.

ISU is a really good school for certain things. Veisha has been shut down though
Rickboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
reedski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
My back yard.....

come visit sometime.
Attached Images

reedski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
nickforney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
again the loess hills are awesome. Lots of b service roads out and about too that you can tear up. I have grandparents who live in the hills and there are plenty of good folks around that are cool to talk to as well.
nickforney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
KTM Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Thanks for all the replies! I'm sending him a link to this thread. He's an inmate here, but never posts - maybe this will draw him out!

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 440
Brad (Orangecicle), Jaime (Scooter Noob) and myself are in central Iowa (DSM) as are several that I am not forgetting...just forgot the names...lol.

We tend to ride B (minimum maintenance dirt roads) on a weekly basis and can definitely show him around the area.

There are also several OHV parks in Iowa. The closest to Ames is Gypsum City OHV Park up in Ft Dodge that recently added a bunch more trails. There is no admission cost but you do have to purchase a DNR "pass" which is only like $15 for the year.
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR

ZLTFUL screwed with this post 10-15-2014 at 09:04 AM
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #15
Babbitt
Vermin wannabe

Oddometer: 82
Gravel road bicycle racing is becoming very trendy and they look for the hilliest and most remote roads possible. Here are a couple of IA examples.

http://24hoursofcumming.com/

http://transiowa.blogspot.com/