ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 03:54 AM   #47431
jonny2g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Since I'm selling stuff, I'll throw this out here before I flea market it.

Selling my KLR 250, 1998, 8k miles, OD green paint, beat up tank, slight tweak in the bars, left mirror not attached at the moment. Runs just dandy, only driven to church on sunday.

I'll start at $1650 and entertain reasonable offers. I have my eye on a honey of a KLX 300 I think I'm picking up tomorrow.
PM sent
jonny2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #47432
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Any of you bike pedalers wanna join me at Alum Creek I'll be there Tues. and Thurs. around 1pm for some trail time...and Qdoba afterwards (Chipotle without the obnoxious world music and dicks in North Face garb).

Speaking of trails
I'll let you know about Thursday. Nice trails

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #47433
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Maybe I can coerce GCMC into providing a recap for everyone. Might be interesting to hear it from a newcomer to the sport and the organization. Plus I heard that she fell asleep, and woke up to find she had been nominated for a job within OMTA. Hey, it's our way of hazing the newcomer; how do you think I got this job?
Yeah, there was whining of the website and inability to find good help. I raised my hand. I still don't have any info to actually help yet......waiting.....still.......

Website is OhioTrails.org but it needs help.

Recap and thoughts (IMO)
There was lots of "we don't want this in the dispatch, so don't share with anyone" so that sort of limits my commentary.
The big take away: Side By Sides rule the market so therefore we will cater to them. Single track in Ohio - forget it.
I get this - Side by Sides outsold quads last year, therefore larger market, therefore to drive partnerships with ODNR parks who are trying to fill lodges - cater to Side by Sides.
Lots of discussion on how large to make trails because most are 60" wide but we might piss off Honda (theirs is 64" wide) blah, blah, blah. Bigger bridges, wider turns......

My opinion: Just take a 6' skid steer through the woods and be done with it. The manufacturers are just going to keep making these monsters bigger and bigger and at some point, you have to just call it a "road". Hell, just let the samurais and jeeps in there too while you're at it. They are "off road" too. And some are lighter than those sidexsides.

Oh well. Too bad we can't run single track loops that the quads and sidexsides will respect. (I know, I'm dreaming.)

Until the MC riders have a chunk of the market, we're screwed.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X

GailCallsMeKarl screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 05:12 AM
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #47434
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
My opinion: Just take a 6' skid steer through the woods and be done with it. The manufacturers are just going to keep making these monsters bigger and bigger and at some point, you have to just call it a "road". Hell, just let the samurais and jeeps in there too while you're at it. They are "off road" too. And some are lighter than those sidexsides.

Oh well. Too bad we can't run single track loops that the quads and sidexsides will respect. (I know, I'm dreaming.)

Well said GCMC. Sounds like every conversation I ever had with AMA, BRC or ODNR about this issue.
This is why I never got involved with any of the groups. Money talks, the agenda of the big 4 is already clear and don't forget to make the trails handicap accessible. This is also why I see dual sport motorcycles as the future. Only one way we will ever get trails to ourselves is to make small sections which require using public roads to connect, therefore useless to any vehicle not street legal. Kind of like the Tar Hollow Area.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #47435
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,947
Quote:

Recap and thoughts (IMO) ...

I'll 2nd that whole post. They're going to go where the money is and so until you guys learn to jump on a motocross track, finding quad free places is going to be tough. Luckily in my area there are still quad free places to ride MX.

Last time I was at Mines and Meadows the quads had respected the single track, I hope they still have. If so, maybe it's just an Ohio thing and we breed stupid people.

Just so you know, they've added sidexsides to the GNCC and other calendars so those trails are now fucked up too

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #47436
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post

...and don't forget to make the trails handicap accessible.

I wouldn't go there if I were you, who knows when the next one of us will only be able to enjoy riding due to an accident by atv. There will always be quad trails for the impaired, the battle is to get the single track back and keep it single track.

Keep up with this guy sometime

Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #47437
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,760
Quote:
Yeah, there was whining of the website and inability to find good help. I raised my hand. I still don't have any info to actually help yet......waiting.....still.......

Website is OhioTrails.org but it needs help.

Recap and thoughts (IMO)
There was lots of "we don't want this in the dispatch, so don't share with anyone" so that sort of limits my commentary.
The big take away: Side By Sides rule the market so therefore we will cater to them. Single track in Ohio - forget it.
I get this - Side by Sides outsold quads last year, therefore larger market, therefore to drive partnerships with ODNR parks who are trying to fill lodges - cater to Side by Sides.
Lots of discussion on how large to make trails because most are 60" wide but we might piss off Honda (theirs is 64" wide) blah, blah, blah. Bigger bridges, wider turns......

We're losing the war.

What's infuriating is, there is ample room at Wayne and elsewhere for single track, it's easier to create and doesn't require the maintenance or drainage that quad track does, etc.

WV seems to have figured out a way to put both into play on the Hatfield-McCoy networks, but here? Nope.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #47438
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I wouldn't go there if I were you, who knows when the next one of us will only be able to enjoy riding due to an accident by atv. There will always be quad trails for the impaired, the battle is to get the single track back and keep it single track.

Keep up with this guy sometime

Yeah, not trying to pick on the handicap people at all, more of a comment on following all government regs on public spaces. Maybe they should put roadside emergency phones in along the trails? Some concession stands with stickers and toys for the kids? Hell post a 5 mph speed limit and add some speed traps.

As for MX tracks, half the fun to me is feeling like I'm going some place, not going in circles. I have a yard I can do that in.
2006 KLR650
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #47439
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 825
shame

who wants to ride on a trail where you can have a head on with a car , screw that, the best way to ride great single track is help out with an enduro or dual sport, join a club and get to ride some the best Single Track in southern ohio,
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #47440
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
We're losing the war.

What's infuriating is, there is ample room at Wayne and elsewhere for single track, it's easier to create and doesn't require the maintenance or drainage that quad track does, etc.

WV seems to have figured out a way to put both into play on the Hatfield-McCoy networks, but here? Nope.

Amen. My understanding is that Michigan has it kind of figured out as well.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #47441
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
As for MX tracks, half the fun to me is feeling like I'm going some place, not going in circles. I have a yard I can do that in.
It's a hell of a lot more fun then riding in circles in your yard (which I've done) and more difficult as well. I think I learned more about skidding in corners, hard braking and acceleration in 30 minutes on the track than I had in hours and hours of trail riding. I wouldn't knock it til you try it. I know my woods riding pace picked up yet another notch after track time.....

Add a match race with a friend and it gets damn fun. Oh, and did I mention you get to fly?

sorry, just slightly addicted.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #47442
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

+1 on what GCMK said ^ ^ ^

You can build all the trails you want for bikes only but then you have to educate the masses like the MTB world does. You can't have single track trail here in Ohio's clay rich soil without forcing people not to ride when it's too wet or you'll end up with a 20-50 mile long rut. Just go to Crow Canyon and try to ride the A loop after it's rained. People are too stupid to stay off the saturated trails then bicth when they've become a rut then they start making run arounds for all the bad sections and it becomes worse. The MTB scene figured it out years ago, I'm not sure how long it will take the moto world. They have a site dedicate to trail conditions.

Then I hear people complain that the dual sports are too tough and too tight. The only way to keep a quad off is to keep it tight and make it miserable for them. Make it easy for you and they'll plow over anything in their way to make it through. After a decade of promoting races, I've come to have little respect for a certain aspect of the quad world. Not all are bad, in fact the majority aren't, but to those of you who got the poker runs shut down in Pa, F-You and may your quad leave you stranded in mosquito heaven on a hot sweaty day!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #47443
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
sorry, just slightly addicted.
I've noticed. Nothing wrong with MX and yes it's fun, but it's not riding trails that go someplace is it? So it's not a viable substitute.
2006 KLR650
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #47444
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
who wants to ride on a trail where you can have a head on with a car , screw that, the best way to ride great single track is help out with an enduro or dual sport, join a club and get to ride some the best Single Track in southern ohio,
+1

After a few head on, and a lot of near misses on the trails, I started jet skiing more, and riding less. This was in the late 80s when quads started getting popular around my area.

Of course if Ohio would make the trails single direction like PA, that would help a lot.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #47445
palandor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I'll be there and I know one or two others will be also.

-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
Anybody thinking of doing this ride on Sat?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=148

I don't know much detail about it other than what is in the post. I'm considering riding the KTM over if the weather is decent. Looks like fun, gravel roads mostly.

Thoughts?