ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #49051
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
I personally do not attempt ANY of the dual sport sections at this event because I know it is going to be a muddy mess. Due to the time of year and these trails are on private land and ONLY open for this event. They don't get forest service maintenance, no gravel base in soft areas, no drainage. Now the Nut Cracker in the fall is a different story. Since it's the end of summer and usually pretty dry the trails aren't all muddy. I'll even drag the BMW down some trail sections, luggage and all. Of course after that event everyone complains about how dusty it was! We know the event won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it's for a good cause and 95% of people love it. If you liked the other aspects of the event but didn't dig the mud, consider riding the 'adventure route' next year. That's why we offer both.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #49052
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
Like I said, appreciate the Buckeyedualsporters. Glad we could contribute to the cause.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #49053
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,320
After following Buildit all over Pike County a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to go back and explore the area a bit to the South of where he led us.

Due to a late start and a leisurely lunch at the Village Inn in Peebles, I only managed about 30 miles of actual exploration. I think it would be virtually impossible to pick a bad road in this part of Ohio. If it's not a gravel road, it's a twisty bit of excitement. Good times.

No photos .... well, one file photo for the Tag-O-Rama ... but here's a portion of the track overlaid on a topo map of the area. I'll definitely be heading back in a few weeks. When I do I'll post up and see if anyone wants to join.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #49054
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Great area to ride! I find something new there everytime I go down.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #49055
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 839
hr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Jimmy and I rode the Hanging Rock. Some of it was good single track, but way too much was single rut mud, stick your feet out and go cause you're in a ditch, no other way single track. Probably won't do again, though I appreciate the Buckeye Dual sporters organization.
BTW, not just my opinion, talked to many on the trail that did not think these were good dual-sport, let alone enduro trails.
i liked the trails, it was a dual sport if you want enduro trails do an enduro.
the conditions with a hard surface and a slick stuff on top made it very greasy and the only way to ride it was keep on the gas, as soon as you would shut off, all the weight would shift to the front and you would be in trouble, i passed so many guys paddling with both feet down which would make it very tough but its hard to tell yourself to get on the gas hard in conditions like yesterday.
when its semi wet in southern ohio its nasty
for a DS it was a good event but lunch was ok ( hint flint ridge lunch :) ) but the bike wash was super nice and the husky demo was a nice end to the day
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #49056
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Don't take the complaints to heart, my man. Not every one can pleased. Ran into three KTMs on a trailer from out of state at a gas station in Chillicothe. They were coming from the Hanging Rock and said they had a good time. Acknowledged that it was muddier than they had expected, but overall enjoyed themselves.

Goodonya!
+1 I chatted to plenty of guys at the bike wash and they all had grins. Funny thing about some riders, they want to bitch about how bad it was so they can tell everyone how hard it was to make it thru. Kind of like complaining about what a bitch your SO is yet loving her because you know it really isn't that bad.

Now the Mosquitos are another story!
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #49057
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I know you didn't pass in a lot of places, because there was ONE rut. Nobody passed me unless I moved over for them.
I haven't ridden an enduro for twenty years, so maybe things have changed, but a dual sport ride should not be what an enduro is.
Like mudddyrabbit said, you can't control the weather, so it is what it is!
Never did it before, so didn't know what to expect. Saw many guys (older and younger) bailing due to the swamp areas.
Just my opinion, YRMV.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #49058
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
+1 I chatted to plenty of guys at the bike wash and they all had grins. Funny thing about some riders, they want to bitch about how bad it was so they can tell everyone how hard it was to make it thru. Kind of like complaining about what a bitch your SO is yet loving her because you know it really isn't that bad.

Now the Mosquitos are another story!

Famous words from someone who didn't ride! Typical. I made it through everything just fine, but not a fun ride.
Got an SO, buidit?

bikeridermark screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 07:00 PM
Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #49059
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Thanks to some help from Goonie and others, and good fortune, got the Strom back together in good enough shape to make my trip this weekend and spent 3 days in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Southern Ohio. Skyline, BRP, and more. The weather was absolutely incredible...perfect temperatures, and the roads were fantastic...discovered some real gems in southern WV. I stuck to pavement, but it was precisely what I needed...great relaxing weekend back on the saddle with some good friends.

The only bad thing is I only captured a handful of pics...had a memory card die on me and I lost a lot of good pics. Oh well, lots of good memories.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #49060
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Thanks to some help from Goonie and others, and good fortune, got the Strom back together in good enough shape to make my trip this weekend and spent 3 days in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Southern Ohio. Skyline, BRP, and more. The weather was absolutely incredible...perfect temperatures, and the roads were fantastic...discovered some real gems in southern WV. I stuck to pavement, but it was precisely what I needed...great relaxing weekend back on the saddle with some good friends.

The only bad thing is I only captured a handful of pics...had a memory card die on me and I lost a lot of good pics. Oh well, lots of good memories.
Southern WVA, fantastic! Where'd ya go?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #49061
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Out near the end of Dysart Woods Road, Belmont County, it's not a mud puddle, it's a stream crossing.

Hunter House Road does not go all the way through, you can make the stream crossing, but it just ends. I drove around and saw where it's supposed to be, but that's in somebody's yard.

How far in to these places to go by yourself, no cell service, no houses, no traffic, if you go down and get hurt too bad to walk out , you self extricate, or I guess wait until someone comes along. If I had a broken ankle on Hunter House Road, I might still be waiting.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #49062
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
How far in to these places to go by yourself, no cell service, no houses, no traffic, if you go down and get hurt too bad to walk out , you self extricate, or I guess wait until someone comes along. If I had a broken ankle on Hunter House Road, I might still be waiting.
If you're planning on doing this kind of riding alone much at all, get yourself a SPOT. The device is cheap enough, and the basic service is all you need, it'll give you the ability to send out a help message to your family/friends, or an emergency message to 911. Sure, it's not going to help you if you're separated from it and unconscious or unable to get to the thing to push the button, and that's where the upgraded tracking service comes in handy. I tell the girlfriend I have Spot when I leave for a ride, and she checks it a few times throughout the day... if I don't come home, she can log in and get a very good idea where I am.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #49063
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Yeah, a SPOT is probably the answer, somebody with me would be better.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #49064
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
so I spent a few hours today out at Perry, reminding myself how out of shape I am...had a good time though...got a couple pics that I like and a bunch of video that will probably only amount to 5 mins of usuably interesting footage

riding on the surface of the moon:

the camera took some shots:

at one point, the cam got hung up on a tree branch and peeled off my helmet...I didnt know that for sure til I reached up and checked and found nothing...fortunately I was only a couple feet down the trail....so I parked up and went back to look for it....found it still hanging on the tree branch. that should make for some good video footage.

anyway, I'm tired and sore and didnt even bother to clean the bike off...I got time for that tomorrow....

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #49065
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
at one point, the cam got hung up on a tree branch and peeled off my helmet
Anyone else, when first reading this, think this meant that the helmet came off Sion's head?

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote