ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #49951
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benly View Post
You'll need a few more to make a nice seat cover for your bike.

Need a lucky rabbit foot? Didn't work for the rabbit but who knows might be the next great gremlin bell?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #49952
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by half_price_beemer View Post
Hey guys,
The KLR is hurting,
I was riding the '09 KLR doing about 70MPH running 4500RPM, and she dropped power sputtered for about 20 seconds, and then died. The bike was feeling under powered on that ride too. The tire never locked up or anything, but when I pulled over oil was everywhere. I took off the tank and all, I saw that one of the valve cover bolts on the front left had popped out. that was the oil puking culprit, the bolt had stripped too. If you hit the E-start every thing cranks but with no compression, and air is forced out of the bolt hole.

Does that sound like, a valve/doohickey/timing chain problem? every thing is free on the bottom end and nothing is knocking.

should be a fun fix!
Sounds like a dropped valve or something punched a hole in the piston to me, if you are getting pressure out of the crankcase. A little bit of pressure is normal from the piston going down, but excessive blowby is caused by combustion chamber pressure finding it's way into the crankcase. Maybe something from that missing valve cover bolt got into the valve train and hung a valve open causing contact with the piston.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #49953
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Happy Fathers day Dad! What a kid, he knew just what to get me.
I bet his mom is a real bitch.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #49954
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
I bet his mom is a real bitch.
Class "A" Bitch. But then so is his sister.

As for the KLR issue Half price described. I've heard of others with broken or stripped valve covers on post 08' KLR's. So check and make sure it didn't break off. It does not sound like any issue I've heard of with the doo. Most likely all top end. Don't know how busy he is but Holycaveman is the goto guy for a lot of people. PM me if you want his phone number.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #49955
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Hey guys,
The KLR is hurting,
I was riding the '09 KLR doing about 70MPH running 4500RPM, and she dropped power sputtered for about 20 seconds, and then died. The bike was feeling under powered on that ride too. The tire never locked up or anything, but when I pulled over oil was everywhere. I took off the tank and all, I saw that one of the valve cover bolts on the front left had popped out. that was the oil puking culprit, the bolt had stripped too. If you hit the E-start every thing cranks but with no compression, and air is forced out of the bolt hole.

Does that sound like, a valve/doohickey/timing chain problem? every thing is free on the bottom end and nothing is knocking.

should be a fun fix!
That sucks mine locked up a month ago except my rear tire locked forcing me into the median. I now have a left over 09 Versys. My intake camshft cam came apart and fell under the cam making one of the intake valves smack the piston. Good Luck
Old 06-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #49956
half_price_beemer
Wings-it Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffWv View Post
That sucks mine locked up a month ago except my rear tire locked forcing me into the median. I now have a left over 09 Versys. My intake camshft cam came apart and fell under the cam making one of the intake valves smack the piston. Good Luck
sorry to here that, maybe we can find some ex 650 motors to shoehorn into our frames. that would be an awesome KLR.
half_price_beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #49957
ohiofathead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
sorry to here that, maybe we can find some ex 650 motors to shoehorn into our frames. that would be an awesome KLR.

Like this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...83&postcount=1
ohiofathead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #49958
Samc243
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Anyone near the washington county area that would enjoy riding some fast paced gravel/dirt roads? I was working on some mountain bike trails and ran into a group of 3 guys on drz's but they were gone before I had a chance to talk to them
Samc243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #49959
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc243 View Post
Anyone near the washington county area that would enjoy riding some fast paced gravel/dirt roads? I was working on some mountain bike trails and ran into a group of 3 guys on drz's but they were gone before I had a chance to talk to them

Sure thing. I'm right on the Washington / Athens border, grew up near Marietta. Ride gravel in the area quite a bit, sometimes a spirited pace, sometimes slowly bumbling around looking for new roads.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #49960
Samc243
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Sure thing. I'm right on the Washington / Athens border, grew up near Marietta. Ride gravel in the area quite a bit, sometimes a spirited pace, sometimes slowly bumbling around looking for new roads.
What kind of bike are you on? Ever ride any of the roads off of CR9 or SR26?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #49961
dox
How much for the ape?

Quote:
What kind of bike are you on? Ever ride any of the roads off of CR9 or SR26?
Gray BMW GS Adventure, yellow DRZ or sometimes the wife's blue Versys. Haven't spent much time on gravel on that side of the county, mostly pavement with friends who are more street oriented.

When sticking close to the house, I do a lot of gravel in western Washington, Athens, Meigs and Morgan county. Most of the best gravel is on the other side of the river.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #49962
Samc243
Adventurer

Quote:
Gray BMW GS Adventure, yellow DRZ or sometimes the wife's blue Versys. Haven't spent much time on gravel on that side of the county, mostly pavement with friends who are more street oriented.

When sticking close to the house, I do a lot of gravel in western Washington, Athens, Meigs and Morgan county. Most of the best gravel is on the other side of the river.
There are loads of gravel/dirt roads on this side of the county. I've never been up that way on my bike before, sounds like i'm going to have to make the voyage up your way sometime though! Or maybe even across the river...
Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #49963
dox
How much for the ape?

Quote:
There are loads of gravel/dirt roads on this side of the county. I've never been up that way on my bike before, sounds like i'm going to have to make the voyage up your way sometime though! Or maybe even across the river...
The problem around here is that the gravel roads are relatively short, and sometimes you have to do longer stretches of pavement. Hard to link together a long gravel route, but I do have a nice 40-50 mile loop over here that is mostly gravel. Fast, but very easy. It hovers around SR555 most of the time.

I can drag the pig or the DRZ over there on the weekend or weekday afternoon, my weekends are kinda busy until end of june but lots of free time in July. Can sneak away in the weekday evenings for a couple of hours sometimes.

If we can get Herewego to sneak away from work, he's got a couple of good loops for fast gravel / dual sport over on the WV side. We did an 80-ish mile dual sport ride on Monday, mostly unmaintained roads / gravel / quad track.

A few times a month, I take a vacation day from work and hit the motocross track over here for the day on the DRZ while no one is around. They've got a nice track, GP course, everything is one-way and well marked.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #49964
Samc243
Adventurer

Quote:
The problem around here is that the gravel roads are relatively short, and sometimes you have to do longer stretches of pavement. Hard to link together a long gravel route, but I do have a nice 40-50 mile loop over here that is mostly gravel. Fast, but very easy. It hovers around SR555 most of the time.

I can drag the pig or the DRZ over there on the weekend or weekday afternoon, my weekends are kinda busy until end of june but lots of free time in July. Can sneak away in the weekday evenings for a couple of hours sometimes.

If we can get Herewego to sneak away from work, he's got a couple of good loops for fast gravel / dual sport over on the WV side. We did an 80-ish mile dual sport ride on Monday, mostly unmaintained roads / gravel / quad track.

A few times a month, I take a vacation day from work and hit the motocross track over here for the day on the DRZ while no one is around. They've got a nice track, GP course, everything is one-way and well marked.
That would be great! My dad's buddie has an xl650r and he has something like a 150 mile loop over in WV that he goes on that is mostly gravel/dirt.

I just went for an 80 mile ride today, probably 30 miles of pavement with the rest being gravel/dirt/trails.

Which track are you talking about? Fastraxx or Action sports? I've been to Fastraxx numerous times, never been to Action sports though, from what my Dad tells me its a really nice place though!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #49965
palandor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Thanks Buildit! Great ride on saturday. I definitely could spend more time at Hidden Springs, especially if I wear the dirt riding boots this time (instead of the dirty hiking boots). :-)

Mike, nice meeting you and riding with you as well!

-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Fun ride today and it didn't get too awful hot because we were over 20mph most the time. Palandor and BDMike were the only people to show but sometimes less is more. So thanks for the company guys and we'll have to do a half day sometime at HSR.

PS have I ever mentioned how awsome it is to have a creek crossing just down the road from me. Took the KTM threw in second and hit the deep spot. Wall of water to the face! MAN it felt great!