ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #52351
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
I have lettered for the last 20 years in that sport.
You must not be very good at it, don't you have three kids?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #52352
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,423
I find that if I over-think an obstacle then I screw up. If I just go for it then I usually make it. Like big ass log crossings, I was following Kory at Perry and crossed this huge pile of logs the first time no problem and then we turned around and crossed again and I crashed the second time going back over. :( I hit the front brake going down the backside of the log pile and almost did an endo. Same thing with hill climbs...if I over-think them then I fail. :( Weird but that's the way it's worked out so far...and I seem to do better when I go a little faster instead of slower.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 02:28 PM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #52353
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post

Go to an organized dual sport, and you'll see maybe three guys out of 200 nuts enough to ride 600+cc bikes on them, Gorman, HC, rob748 and a few other loons. Everyone else is on super light race machines. There's a reason for that....big bikes are fucking HARD to ride in tight stuff, period, and 100 miles of that shit is for pros. If you wanna ride a cast iron stove through the woods, you'd better have years of riding under your belt or retard strength..because it takes skill and comfort to not wrestle the fuck out of that thing. If you're wanting to quickly find familiarity on the dirt, buy a used little 125 or a 2-smoke that's the weight of your 10-speed, and make all your mistakes on it. There's no downside to this, it's a fucking blast, and you'll gain more skill and confidence in one trail ride than a year putzing around backroads on a KLR, afraid to follow guys into the hairy shit. When you're done, sell the little bike and your skills will translate upwards. Or, keep it around for those dual sports. This is a mistake I made, then corrected. Moving down in bikes made me better, fast. A few weekends at Perry on a trail bike forced me into trail comfort, and forced my brain to accept looking up the trail instead of at my front tire. And, unlike most of the crap we do this is the kind of lesson that is fucking awesome. There were, and still are, lots of guys here who are happy to ride with you, work with you, even dig your bike out of a slop hole with you....and it's usually free. Hell, any one here, at any time (other than hunting season) is welcome to come play on my single track. It's not big, but it's got some well-thought out challenges to make you work.

I don't have much in the way of serious dirt skills, but everything I've learned has come from picking the bike up 10 times in failure, knowing the right way but drilling the muscle memory by twisting the throttle and going. Timidity is your enemy.

/lesson over.

'or you have retard stength . . ' I like that - and I know what you're talking about. Retard strength is a lot easier than months in the gym. (I've used to have a little).

Learning - did a lot of endo's at 14-15 years old. Kept doing endo's till I learned what not to do. . . the plus here is that when you're 14 - you just get right back on a crash it again - till you get it right. (Tougher when your 42 years old).

Just like golf - when I ride/golf with better riders/golfer - I ride/play better - much better. Strange but true. If I follow a guy putting his foot down all the time - I do it too. A lot of monkey-see, monkey-do when you're riding off-road. Tag onto someone riding a little faster and you'll get there too. (can't help you with the close pitching wedge though).

One other thing I'd like to add - let the bike go where it's going. It's bigger and heavier than you (I hope...) and really - you're just along for the ride so don't fight it too much and wear you're self out. I found this to be especially true on the 500-650cc 4 strokes. If you run your brakes all of the time - it will tire you out - big time.

Just make a fairly intelligent estimation before you crank the throttle and always keep the next turn in your eyes - even if it's 100 yards away. Don't sweat the next 10 yards - you're going to hit that whether you like it or not.

I guess to sum it up - I don't (yet) know of anyone who died on a trail ride other than a heart attack. Aches and pains and a broke bone now and then.
But that's how yo learn - by falling down (repeatedly).

Oh yeh - no guts, no checkered flag!

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 07:50 AM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #52354
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
You must not be very good at it, don't you have three kids?
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #52355
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Any time, i am 5 miles north of granville.
Can't wait to meet you. You actually give great advice. Thanks!!! It's much appreciated. ;)

Did you rub off on Bob or vice versa because he gives great advice too.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #52356
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
When can I come over? Bob said you are his neighbor?
Just say when!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #52357
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
BOB RAMSAY sez:

"Just like golf - when I ride/golf with better riders/golfer - I ride/play better"

Hmmmm...I golfed yesterday with some better golfers than me....but I guess 18 years between golf games may be too much to improve your skills in one afternoon

As far as improving riding skills.....2 things I found have helped me more than anything else

1. Ride a trials bike, really. They are amazing for teaching you how to ride and control a bike.

2. If we actually have a winter, go to Buckeye Lake and ice race....riding on ice will teach you more about getting an out of control motorcycle back into control faster and better than anything else. And you will have a hoot sliding a bike to boot....
Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #52358
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Sorry I'm late to the noob riding discussion, but I have some questions. Since the WRR is my first two-wheeler, falling off is in the forefront of my thoughts. I mountain bike, so falling isn't foreign to me, but doing it at speed, is.

I've been building a shopping list, but it's mostly adventure gear (ie, Alpinestars Scout boots, Olympia AST jacket, etc). While this stuff might be great for touring, I'm not sure if it's going to help much if my bike decides to take a nap offroad.

The obvious solution is to get moto gear, but I really hate the look. As it is, I'm planning to replace my Yamaha blue plactics with black. At this skill level, is it worth getting two sets of gear? Does anyone make moto gear in subdued colors? Is there stuff I can wear over/under touring gear? What gear would you recommend to a first time rider?

Thanks,
Joe

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 07:19 AM
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #52359
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Sorry I'm late to the noob riding discussion, but I have some questions. Since the WRR is my first two-wheeler, falling off is in the forefront of my thoughts. I mountain bike, so falling isn't foreign to me, but doing it at speed, is.

I've been building a shopping list, but it's mostly adventure gear (ie, Alpinestars Scout boots, Olympia AST jacket, etc). While this stuff might be great for touring, I'm not sure if it's going to help much if my bike decides to take a nap offroad.*

The obvious solution is to get moto gear, but I really hate the look. As it is, I'm planning to replace my Yamaha blue plactics with black. At this skill level, is it worth getting two sets of gear? *Does anyone make moto gear in subdued colors? Is there stuff I can wear over/under touring gear? What gear would you recommend to a first time rider?

Thanks,
Joe
I'm an off-road noob too. Just started in Dec'11 I've been looking at gear too. I don't like the crap I have and it's too damn hot and too hard to get on/off. I have the Leatt Body Protector Adventure.

I've also been looking at Bohn Body Armor that you could wear under just about anything.

I'm still looking so I'm interested in what others have to say too. ;)
Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #52360
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Quote:

I've been building a shopping list, but it's mostly adventure gear (ie, Alpinestars Scout boots, Olympia AST jacket, etc). While this stuff might be great for touring, I'm not sure if it's going to help much if my bike decides to take a nap offroad.*

The obvious solution is to get moto gear, but I really hate the look. As it is, I'm planning to replace my Yamaha blue plactics with black. At this skill level, is it worth getting two sets of gear? *Does anyone make moto gear in subdued colors? Is there stuff I can wear over/under touring gear? What gear would you recommend to a first time rider?

Thanks,
Joe
Short and sweet -good helmet (full face), good boots, good goggles. These are THE 3 areas of the body you can't go on the cheap with - said the guy with one eye 20 years after that sharp stick in the eye. Or the guy with the gimpy ankle - 20 years later. You can't be too good to your feet! After some hours riding, you will see what beating these items take - and that's what they're made for.

I don't ride without knee pads or a chest protector - I would feel nekid without them. Note: a chest protector will not help with broken ribs or collar-bones. It will help with the roost of gravel from the guy in front of you and give you a good place to hang your Camel-Bak on the rear.

Purpose built gloves and pants a good suggestion. They handle water and are quick drying. The pants have stretch panels and should be fitted so they don't catch your co-rider's handlebars when he passes you. If you buy an enduro jacket - make sure it fits over your chestprotector. That set-up allows for some air flow if it gets warm. Some enduro jackets have removable sleeves - (I wish I had one).

As for more subdued graphics/colors - try Moose Racing.com or A-Loop Off-Road.com. A-loop was a spin-off of Moose 10 or so years ago. They CARRY EVERYTHING including repair parts besides gear. (the original Moose was from New Albany - made flywheels for 2 strokes and then sold the business)

I wouldn't recommend any over/under genre's of gear. If riding off road, no matter how cold it is, you will strip off at least 1 layer off in the first 2 miles and then have to carry it the rest of the day or sweat like a horse and dehydrate yourself. Dress for the dance that you're attending.

And rule #2 for off-road riding - ATGATT (all the gear, all the time).

Rule #1 - have fun!

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 07:41 AM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #52361
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Took a long ride yesterday following "George's Route" in the Cincinnati Dual Sporters thread. I was pleasantly surprised how much gravel and two-track/dirt there was. Seemed like one-half to two-thirds of the 120 miles was not pavement. This is an area south of where Buildit, Benly, Flagger and I rode back in may. Anyone one who likes to slide around flat-tracker style would love the Shawnee forest roads. Marble-like gravel and absolutley no cars or houses for miles upon miles. In fact, in about 70 miles of gravel/dirt, I saw only two cars. Thanks to George and inmate DualSport for sharing the tracks. -Mike

blackdiamondmike screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 08:09 AM
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #52362
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiamondmike View Post
Took a long ride yesterday following "George's Route" in the Cincinnati Dual Sporters thread. I was pleasantly surprised how much gravel and two-track/dirt there was. Seemed like one-half to two-thirds of the 120 miles was not pavement. This is an area south of where Buildit, Benly, Flagger and I rode back in may. Anyone one who likes to slide around flat-tracker style would love the Shawnee forest roads. Marble-like gravel and absolutley no cars or houses for miles upon miles. In fact, in about 70 miles of gravel/dirt, I saw only two cars. Thanks to George and inmate DualSporter for sharing the tracks. -Mike

I've been meaning to check that out but wasn't sure it was worth it. You made it sound pretty good. ;)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #52363
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:

I've been building a shopping list, but it's mostly adventure gear (ie, Alpinestars Scout boots, Olympia AST jacket, etc). While this stuff might be great for touring, I'm not sure if it's going to help much if my bike decides to take a nap offroad.

The obvious solution is to get moto gear, but I really hate the look. As it is, I'm planning to replace my Yamaha blue plactics with black. At this skill level, is it worth getting two sets of gear? Does anyone make moto gear in subdued colors? Is there stuff I can wear over/under touring gear? What gear would you recommend to a first time rider?

Thanks,
Joe

There is tons of stuff Joe. Almost every brand of moto gear makes stuff that looks less racer boy. Lots of the styles of pants go over the boots, and many have simple (if any) graphics.

I have some Fox Panther stuff that is really low key http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/gear/...er_pant_glove/

Troy Lee & MSR has stuff too. Moose stuff is laid back and even Thor has some basic designs, but I am not a fan of those brands personally.

Plastic for the WRR/X is really cheap. Black looks great new, but really gets scratched up quickly....OK, crazy quickly. OK, for a Supermoto, but off road it can look bad in a big hurry.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #52364
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Bob & Scott,

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have a helmet I like, the Fly Trekker / AFX FX-39. It's nice because it'll let me wear goggles under the face shield.

Where I get lost is the dirt-specific stuff: shin, knee, chest, shoulder, etc. Maybe I should have someone meet me at Iron Pony and explain what works best for what we do and what doesn't.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #52365
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 997
Sion, do you got this one ?