ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #53101
cannonrider
Backroad Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Wow!!!! Glad everyones OK.It's a good thing you didn't ride the new bike to work that day.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #53102
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,150
My quick Garmin Dakota 10 review:

(disclaimer, my only GPS experience is with a 6 year old POS Nuvi(which is pink in color, thus making it less appropriate for hard assed adventure riding))

I picked up the GPS, a RAM mount (mpenner talked me into not being quite so cheap after he saw my phone mount made from electrical box parts...) and a cradle off Amazon for around $170 shipped (I was already on Amazon buying Rainbow Brite memorabilia, so it was convenient). I wasn't willing to drop $400+ on something that I'm not sure I will use extensively, and I wanted to cut my teeth on something without a million features.

The unit itself seems very stout, with a rubber case surrounding it and looks to be pretty well sealed up.

I tossed in 2 "AA" batteries and was initially disappointed with the size and brightness of the screen, as well as the base map, which sucked. With the extensive help of an inmate, I installed CityNavigator 2012, and loaded some routes I previously drew up in Google. Once I got past my daft fumbling of Base Camp, it's really a quite user friendly unit.

I finally installed it on my 650 today and took it for a little spin.

My concerns about brightness and size were dismissed immediately. I find it easier to read and interact with than my much larger screened HTC Thunderbolt, and my gloves (Thor motocross) were able to operate the screen. In full sunlight, I was easily able to read the screen, and my route was easy to follow (to The Foxhole).

Overall, I'm really happy with it for the price, the Dakota 20 may be worth the extra $60 to get tthe SD card slot and some other features, as the memory on this unit is a smallish 850 mb. The other downfall is the fact that it charges though a USB port in the back, which compromises the waterproofness, and lacks in durability. I will not hardwire this unit so I can transfer it between bikes easily. I have a pile of rechargeable batteries (umm..just because) and will just carry spares in my tankbag (or a sock for when I go into shady neighborhoods), so far, the original no name dollar store alkalines have about 7 hours on them and show no signs of giving up the ghost.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #53103
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
My quick Garmin Dakota 10 review:

I picked up the GPS, a RAM mount (mpenner talked me into not being quite so cheap after he saw my phone mount made from electrical box parts...) and a cradle off Amazon for around $170 shipped (I was already on Amazon buying Rainbow Brite memorabilia, so it was convenient). I wasn't willing to drop $400+ on something that I'm not sure I will use extensively, and I wanted to cut my teeth on something without a million features.

I tossed in 2 "AA" batteries and was initially disappointed with the size and brightness of the screen, as well as the base map, which sucked. With the extensive help of an inmate, I installed CityNavigator 2012, and loaded some routes I previously drew up in Google. Once I got past my daft fumbling of Base Camp, it's really a quite user friendly unit.
How are you getting routes from Google to Basecamp? Google Earth or Google Maps? I have moved routes/tracks from Garmin to Google, but not the other way. BTW, IMHO Basecamp stinks, I much prefer Mapsource, but Garmin is moving everyone to BC.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #53104
mic_detonator
ride

Oddometer: 794
Glad to hear your ok, you should have put on your badge and gave her a ticket for failure to control. jk have a safe rest of the day.
mic_detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #53105
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Glad to hear you're OK, Meef.

Every time I've taken a CPR course at the Red Cross, they've said CPR won't jump-start a heart and all you're doing is keeping oxygenated blood flowing to the brain until advanced care can take over. Even though you were on her immediately, were there any signs of life before you handed her over to the other squad?

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #53106
McTacticool
Importer/Exporter

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Today's episode of "The Horseshoe Shoved Up Meef's Ass":
Glad you're ok Meef, although......
The more I get to know you, I assumed any 'car through a building' story involving you, would be more along the lines of.....
McTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #53107
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
How are you getting routes from Google to Basecamp? Google Earth or Google Maps? I have moved routes/tracks from Garmin to Google, but not the other way. BTW, IMHO Basecamp stinks, I much prefer Mapsource, but Garmin is moving everyone to BC.
I'm converting the route from.kml to .gpx and moving it into the tracks folder on the GPS itself. I'm using regular google maps.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #53108
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Paging Mr. Gorman to the red courtesty phone...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post19727805
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #53109
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I'm converting the route from.kml to .gpx and moving it into the tracks folder on the GPS itself. I'm using regular google maps.
I highly recommend Tyre, which is a free GPS routing program that uses the Google Maps engine, so it will be fast and familiar to ya. Outputs any file type, very versatile.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #53110
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
I highly recommend Tyre, which is a free GPS routing program that uses the Google Maps engine, so it will be fast and familiar to ya. Outputs any file type, very versatile.
I loaded that on my PC but I have not really used it much. Perhaps I should give it another try

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #53111
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

I'll take a look at it, I also used dual sport maps a bit.

I've just been using google maps because I use it to set up daily mow routes and usually have it open and start tinkering with stuff...

Old 10-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #53112
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 853
Internetless

Man, I was internet-less for 2 days and frikin' 10 pages!

Mark, so glad you're ok, that's just madness!!

I was about to post how I just killed my first scorpion (crawled out of my luggage that United lost) I'd have gotten a pic of the nasty thing but I was too afraid I'd lose sight of him and didn't need him loose in my truck. I wanted his ass good and dead.

Hope to see some of you saturday night.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #53113
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
If I'm just doing a quick conversion from GMaps to Mapsource/Basecamp, I use this:

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/
Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #53114
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Paging Mr. Gorman to the red courtesty phone...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post19727805
Pass, heading to the desert in March so I'm saving up. If you find one of the Canadian 4 valve Honda 250 trials bikes, may change my mind.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #53115
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Meef, glad you are OK man. Crazy.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote