ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #53851
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I think you'll need a spring compressor to get the locks off the non threaded end on the shock. Only person I know with one is over in Xenia.
By "locks" do you mean the split flat plate that some shocks have under the spring seat? This shock doesn't have those. See the pictures for reference.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #53852
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
By "locks" do you mean the split flat plate that some shocks have under the spring seat? This shock doesn't have those. See the pictures for reference.
Maybe not visible but It must have something. Maybe a magic trick?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #53853
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,147
Quote:
I saw that. Was thinking it might be under the spring. What are the chances the spring is compressed from the factory while being assembled internally? Thats looking like the second way this is coming apart. Try AutoZone for a spring compressor or harbor freight for a cheap one.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #53854
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Cheap spring compressor can be made from two pieces of 3/8 or 1/2" threaded rod and a couple heavy duty exhaust flanges from the auto parts store. Just have to take the shock with you to find a flange that will slip over the end but still catch the plates/collar to compress the spring. Looks like this...

Just tighten each nut a few turns at a time to keep them even as you compress/release.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #53855
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Any of you know how to remove the spring from the shock in the following post:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=685

Unless it's assembled as a non serviceable unit, there is going to be a snap ring or something similar at the opposite end from the collars. I'll just about bet you that if you compress the spring down, that bottom plate slides down to reveal a pin or snap ring.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #53856
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,295
That shock looks to have a really small range of preload adjustment.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #53857
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,061
Trail up to Hurricane Basin and old mining buildings

Another video from my Colorado trip...

Hurricane Basin
Hinsdale County, Colorado

Trail Type: Out and Back
Nearby Towns: Silverton, Ouray, Lake City
Nearby Trails: Mineral Creek, Cinnamon Pass, Engineer Pass
Trail Length: 3 miles
Elevation: 11,159 to 12,668 feet
This trail packs a lot of scenery and rocky fun into three short miles. Even though it's in the middle of all of the popular San Juan Mountain trails, it sees little traffic. This trail is highly recommended if you enjoy old mining buildings and high mountain views.

It starts off of the Engineer Pass trail near the ghost town of Animas Forks. There is camping near the trailhead, and the trailhead is not marked. You can find it by following two different trails continuing down into the valley next to the Engineer Pass trail, crossing through Henson Creek, follow the trail up and into Schafer Gulch.

The trail immediately begins climbing over loose rocks along a shelf road. Continue up into the gulch with Gravel Mountain on your left and Seigal Mountain on your right marking the Continental Divide.

The trail is fairly easy once you pass the rocky section, and it isn't long before you come to an intersection. If you make a sharp left turn here you can take a brief spur up to a restored lodge. The lodge is huge and in good shape, but keep in mind that the situation could change at any minute. Enter the building at your own risk.

Next to the lodge is an old mill that has not been restored. If you carefully find a way into the building you can spot much of the old equipment that was used. Exploration is difficult and dangerous in this building.

Continue back to the main trail and keep heading up Hurricane Basin. You can spot many old mines here, though all shafts have been closed or caved in. Follow the trail over more loose rocks to the very top in order to fully enjoy the view of the basin below you. It provides a good view of the buildings and mines.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #53858
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Just saw on Crow Canyon's site demo ride and track are closed again today

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #53859
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post

I'm glad I'm not missing anything.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #53860
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I'm glad I'm not missing anything.
I'm sure Meef is missing us too. ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #53861
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
I just took a spin up there; there's a handful of people there, most on quads. The trails are open but I'm sure they are goopy hell.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #53862
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

So Sion, is Dora exploring again? ;)
Old 10-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #53863
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Chantix worked for the smoking. Anyone that met me knew what a chain smoker I was. 2-3 packs a day. As far as weight loss, I cut out fast food and junk food. I eat an apple for breakfast, subway sub for lunch and apples instead of chips, and dinner is a salad and a small helping of whatever the family had for dinner. I also started back in April to walk at least a mile every day and then it went to running. Now I run 2-3 times a week but walk every day. I admit that the plateau has come with me cheating a lot lately and not taking it as serious as I was. Long way to go still.

Thanks, and same to you. You have been very supportive in the Chantix and what to expect. Herewego has been a great motivator as well as others. Thank you all for the best last 12 months I have had in over 10 years!
Wow! I didn't realize you were dropping weight also. That's a pretty tough combo I hear. Usually its the other way around. Nice work

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #53864
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
So Sion, is Dora exploring again? ;)

not yet...got everything back together yesterday but she wouldnt start...doesnt appear to be getting gas into the cylinder, but is getting into the intake ports...got tired of working on her about that time and relaxed the rest of the eveing...

havent even gone out to the garage today...watched the Steelers thump Washington instead

I'll get back after it tomorrow

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #53865
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Chantix worked for the smoking. Anyone that met me knew what a chain smoker I was. 2-3 packs a day.
+1 on the Chantix

I was a 2-pack/day smoker and it worked like a charm - just as advertised. Chantix takes care of the physical additions, but you still need to overcome the mental habits of being used to always having something in your hand/mouth. I dealt with that by keeping a click on/off pen and LifeSaver breath mints handy for when such urges struck (some people use suckers to address both habits with one solution). After the first month or so of not smoking the urges faded away and it's been smooth sailing since.

And whatever you do - if you do quit, DO NOT....EVER....kiss a smoker again. It tastes like licking the bottom of the nastiest, funkiest ashtray you could ever imagine. Talk about an instant mood killer!

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote