ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #53866
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 2,854
So Sion, is Dora exploring again? ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #53867
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 22,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Chantix worked for the smoking. Anyone that met me knew what a chain smoker I was. 2-3 packs a day. As far as weight loss, I cut out fast food and junk food. I eat an apple for breakfast, subway sub for lunch and apples instead of chips, and dinner is a salad and a small helping of whatever the family had for dinner. I also started back in April to walk at least a mile every day and then it went to running. Now I run 2-3 times a week but walk every day. I admit that the plateau has come with me cheating a lot lately and not taking it as serious as I was. Long way to go still.

Thanks, and same to you. You have been very supportive in the Chantix and what to expect. Herewego has been a great motivator as well as others. Thank you all for the best last 12 months I have had in over 10 years!
Wow! I didn't realize you were dropping weight also. That's a pretty tough combo I hear. Usually its the other way around. Nice work

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #53868
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
So Sion, is Dora exploring again? ;)

not yet...got everything back together yesterday but she wouldnt start...doesnt appear to be getting gas into the cylinder, but is getting into the intake ports...got tired of working on her about that time and relaxed the rest of the eveing...

havent even gone out to the garage today...watched the Steelers thump Washington instead

I'll get back after it tomorrow

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #53869
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Chantix worked for the smoking. Anyone that met me knew what a chain smoker I was. 2-3 packs a day.
+1 on the Chantix

I was a 2-pack/day smoker and it worked like a charm - just as advertised. Chantix takes care of the physical additions, but you still need to overcome the mental habits of being used to always having something in your hand/mouth. I dealt with that by keeping a click on/off pen and LifeSaver breath mints handy for when such urges struck (some people use suckers to address both habits with one solution). After the first month or so of not smoking the urges faded away and it's been smooth sailing since.

And whatever you do - if you do quit, DO NOT....EVER....kiss a smoker again. It tastes like licking the bottom of the nastiest, funkiest ashtray you could ever imagine. Talk about an instant mood killer!

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #53870
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Oddometer: 13,762
So a question for our two chantix users and successful quitters. Are you still on Chantix and if not how long did you take it for?

I'm a bit on the demon you know over the demon you don't know fence but would like to quit.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #53871
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 1,939
Anyone west of Columbus interested in operating a plow truck for me? Territory from West Mansfield on the northwest to 23 on the east and around Hilliard on the South. I'll provide a truck to leave at your house and will pay hourly.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #53872
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
So a question for our two chantix users and successful quitters. Are you still on Chantix and if not how long did you take it for?

I'm a bit on the demon you know over the demon you don't know fence but would like to quit.
I took it for 9 weeks. First week was just working up to the full dose before you actually quit smoking, then 4 weeks on the full dose. I was doing good at this point and wasn't having any major urges to smoke, so I switched to a half dose for the next 4 weeks just to be safe and then I was done with it.

Doc told me the usage length varies from person to person and most "feel" they can safely get off it after the first month, but those who stay on it for 2 or more months are 75% more likely to not start smoking again within a year. Yes it's expensive, but it's well worth paying for the extra month or two just to make sure quitting sticks and it's still less than a carton a week smoking habit.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #53873
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
I took it for 9 weeks. First week was just working up to the full dose before you actually quit smoking, then 4 weeks on the full dose. I was doing good at this point and wasn't having any major urges to smoke, so I switched to a half dose for the next 4 weeks just to be safe and then I was done with it.

Doc told me the usage length varies from person to person and most "feel" they can safely get off it after the first month, but those who stay on it for 2 or more months are 75% more likely to not start smoking again within a year. Yes it's expensive, but it's well worth paying for the extra month or two just to make sure quitting sticks and it's still less than a carton a week smoking habit.
Thanks, one more question. Was there withdraw issues from the Chantix?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #53874
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
That shock looks to have a really small range of preload adjustment.
Indeed. Factory had it set right in the middle of that range. I screwed the collars down as far as they'll go, but I'm thinking I'll need a stiffer spring.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #53875
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Cheap spring compressor can be made from two pieces of 3/8 or 1/2" threaded rod and a couple heavy duty exhaust flanges from the auto parts store. Just have to take the shock with you to find a flange that will slip over the end but still catch the plates/collar to compress the spring. Looks like this...

Just tighten each nut a few turns at a time to keep them even as you compress/release.
Flanges purchased .... Challenge accepted.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #53876
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,879
Quote:
Cripes, I'd hate to see you in some kind of Chantix induced rage.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #53877
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Cripes, I'd hate to see you in some kind of Chantix induced rage.
Me too! I don't think an of you have ever seen me mad. (No I don't turn green but it's never pretty. )
Old 10-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #53878
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I didn't experience any withdraw symptoms - at least nothing that was noticeable. Then again, now that you mention it...that is about the time that third eye started to emerge in the center of my forehead.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #53879
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Quote:
I didn't experience any withdraw symptoms - at least nothing that was noticeable. Then again, now that you mention it...that is about the time that third eye started to emerge in the center of my forehead.
Ohhh, third eye you say?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #53880
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Wow! I didn't realize you were dropping weight also. That's a pretty tough combo I hear. Usually its the other way around. Nice work
Thanks
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote