ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #53866
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,164
So a question for our two chantix users and successful quitters. Are you still on Chantix and if not how long did you take it for?

I'm a bit on the demon you know over the demon you don't know fence but would like to quit.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #53867
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,264
Anyone west of Columbus interested in operating a plow truck for me? Territory from West Mansfield on the northwest to 23 on the east and around Hilliard on the South. I'll provide a truck to leave at your house and will pay hourly.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #53868
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
So a question for our two chantix users and successful quitters. Are you still on Chantix and if not how long did you take it for?

I'm a bit on the demon you know over the demon you don't know fence but would like to quit.
I took it for 9 weeks. First week was just working up to the full dose before you actually quit smoking, then 4 weeks on the full dose. I was doing good at this point and wasn't having any major urges to smoke, so I switched to a half dose for the next 4 weeks just to be safe and then I was done with it.

Doc told me the usage length varies from person to person and most "feel" they can safely get off it after the first month, but those who stay on it for 2 or more months are 75% more likely to not start smoking again within a year. Yes it's expensive, but it's well worth paying for the extra month or two just to make sure quitting sticks and it's still less than a carton a week smoking habit.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #53869
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
I took it for 9 weeks. First week was just working up to the full dose before you actually quit smoking, then 4 weeks on the full dose. I was doing good at this point and wasn't having any major urges to smoke, so I switched to a half dose for the next 4 weeks just to be safe and then I was done with it.

Doc told me the usage length varies from person to person and most "feel" they can safely get off it after the first month, but those who stay on it for 2 or more months are 75% more likely to not start smoking again within a year. Yes it's expensive, but it's well worth paying for the extra month or two just to make sure quitting sticks and it's still less than a carton a week smoking habit.
Thanks, one more question. Was there withdraw issues from the Chantix?
2006 KLR650
Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #53870
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
That shock looks to have a really small range of preload adjustment.
Indeed. Factory had it set right in the middle of that range. I screwed the collars down as far as they'll go, but I'm thinking I'll need a stiffer spring.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #53871
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Cheap spring compressor can be made from two pieces of 3/8 or 1/2" threaded rod and a couple heavy duty exhaust flanges from the auto parts store. Just have to take the shock with you to find a flange that will slip over the end but still catch the plates/collar to compress the spring. Looks like this...

Just tighten each nut a few turns at a time to keep them even as you compress/release.
Flanges purchased .... Challenge accepted.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #53872
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Cripes, I'd hate to see you in some kind of Chantix induced rage.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #53873
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Cripes, I'd hate to see you in some kind of Chantix induced rage.
Me too! I don't think an of you have ever seen me mad. (No I don't turn green but it's never pretty. )
2006 KLR650
Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #53874
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I didn't experience any withdraw symptoms - at least nothing that was noticeable. Then again, now that you mention it...that is about the time that third eye started to emerge in the center of my forehead.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #53875
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
I didn't experience any withdraw symptoms - at least nothing that was noticeable. Then again, now that you mention it...that is about the time that third eye started to emerge in the center of my forehead.
Ohhh, third eye you say?

2006 KLR650
Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #53876
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Wow! I didn't realize you were dropping weight also. That's a pretty tough combo I hear. Usually its the other way around. Nice work
Thanks
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #53877
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Chantix umm I recommend using their online program as well. It walks you through each day and what to expect. Expect acid trip style dreams, expect emotions that get intense including short outbursts. I was on it for 4 wks full dose and then went half dose for 8 weeks. I would do it again in a heart beat, however the first 3 months was the most difficult for me to get my moods figured out. Not once did I want a smoke, but I really wanted to feel normal. You get mad, sad, excited, stressed, confused, happy, etc and each emotion normally triggered a smoke break. Now you dont know what to do.

Do it. Worse case if you dont like being a quitter, you always know how to start smoking again. What do you got to lose?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #53878
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Chantix umm I recommend using their online program as well. It walks you through each day and what to expect. Expect acid trip style dreams, expect emotions that get intense including short outbursts. I was on it for 4 wks full dose and then went half dose for 8 weeks. I would do it again in a heart beat, however the first 3 months was the most difficult for me to get my moods figured out. Not once did I want a smoke, but I really wanted to feel normal. You get mad, sad, excited, stressed, confused, happy, etc and each emotion normally triggered a smoke break. Now you dont know what to do.

Do it. Worse case if you dont like being a quitter, you always know how to start smoking again. What do you got to lose?
I didn't experience any kind of mood swings or weird dreams. Now I feel cheated!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #53879
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
I didn't experience any kind of mood swings or weird dreams. Now I feel cheated!
Awesome, awesome, awesome dreams. I miss them badly. I could describe them for hours but you wouldnt understand unless you had your own. Every sense is heightened in your dream, especially touch, smell, and taste! Nothing sexual in my dreams, just weird stuff.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #53880
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,264
I swear to crap, if I have to hear one more thing about the "Perfect Storm", I'm going to puke.....

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote