ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #54136
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
If you put it on the trails, it will absolutely make you a better rider.
My real problem has been finding the time to ride off road. At least now when I have the time it should be more enjoyable.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #54137
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
I guessed 100-125 lighter than my KLR650. Its much more nimble too.

A guy has to figure out what he wants a bike to do, that's what I found was the hardest part.

BTW the WRR & I picked this up on Sunday, but I still don't exactly understand the points system.

I still remember getting my XL250 after my IT175 and thinking it was sooo much heavier. I don’t recall how much the XL weighed, but I’m sure it was at least 10-20 lbs lighter than the WRR.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #54138
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
Hard to argue against the KTM unless you start talking about the cost or maintenance. The 350 and 500 EXC-F's are essentially the Ferrari of the D/S world. They have all the fancy bells and whistles and are faster than a Skyline Chili induced bowel evacuation, but it all comes at the expense of affordability and bulletproof reliability.
The cost/maintenance beliefs were what has kept me from owning a KTM for quite a while, but after a lot of research, the newer XC4 engines have proven to be extremely reliable and the valves rarely move.

The newest of the new is always going to be high, but NOS 450 and 530s can be found for 7 grand or less. Street legal out of the gate and a lot of bang for the buck considering MSRP of a WR250R is now at $6,690.

Sure, you'll change the oil a little more often, but it's a five minute job. Trans and filter every other oil change. Valves rarely (if ever) move. Fifty pounds lighter, gobs of power, both kickstart and magic button.

The FI vs. Carb debate notwithstanding, the only real compromise is fuel economy.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #54139
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
The FI vs. Carb debate notwithstanding, the only real compromise is fuel economy.
Stator output and subframe, too. They aren't important to me personally I don't use my little DS bikes for anything but trails and day trips and I don't ever intend on powering heated gear off 'em, but for someone wanting an "all arounder" that is a tangible downside to a race-bred KTM.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #54140
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Well, I'm sure Brad Pitt could land a way hotter chick than I can, but I still want the hottest one I can get.

For my own pleasure, when I'm riding it, it matters. Girl or bike.

Oh, and cost/maintenance matters too. Girl or bike.

So you want a hot chick that is cheap and requires little maintenance. Good luck.

As for the bike, I'm not saying that you shouldn't ride a bike that you like and makes you happy. It is just that we spend a lot of time and effort on farkles and finding the elusive perfect bike and discussing which bike is more better when the weakest link is usually standing on the pegs. I'm pretty sure Jimmy Lewis could leave me in the dust on a clapped out, stock XR400R regardless of what hot, new bike I might be straddling.

An appropriately sized and powered bike certainly makes it easier and more fun to learn and gain confidence. It is easier to go faster and be safer on a bike with suspension that is set up for you. I get it. It is just humbling to know what our bikes are capable of in more skilled hands and what the right rider can do with the "wrong" bike. All the new technology in the world can't make me this fast in the woods:
AMA, OMTA (ohio organization), BRC, BMWMOA
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #54141
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
............ It is just humbling to know what our bikes are capable of in more skilled hands and what the right rider can do with the "wrong" bike. .........................

True. Years ago I watched as a "Motocross Rider" rode a Honda NC-50 Express sideways through a dirt parking lot at a high rate of speed (for that thing).

It was cool. What he did, not the moped.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #54142
dox
How much for the ape?

Quote:
Stator output and subframe, too. They aren't important to me personally I don't use my little DS bikes for anything but trails and day trips and I don't ever intend on powering heated gear off 'em, but for someone wanting an "all arounder" that is a tangible downside to a race-bred KTM.
True, I tend to overlook the those things for the very reasons you listed.

Planning to do the trailtech stator upgrade, and there's a pro moto billet rack available for the 530 if I ever needed to carry a small amount of luggage.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #54143
dox
How much for the ape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJV View Post
True. Years ago I watched as a "Motocross Rider" rode a Honda NC-50 Express sideways through a dirt parking lot at a high rate of speed (for that thing).

It was cool. What he did, not the moped.
Closet moped lover.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #54144
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
The one I pictured is the WR450F, which is already available...obviously not street legal from the factory but that matters little in Ohio.
Frankly, I'd choose it over the WR450R, if it should ever be a choice. The F will be lighter, better sprung for offroad, and retain the kicker option.
It's all what you're into I guess, but my bias is more towards offroad and less towards road. I'll give up some street comfort for trail manners.
I know the F was pictured, but like you said, it all about what you want out of a bike. I want to ride all over the place, ride something fun, then ride home. I'm like with mountain bikes as well, so you have to give something up. Some of us will give up some power for longer maintenance intervals, a little weight for wattage and subframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
It's easy to make a wr450f street legal, but I want a wr450R; with a subframe, high output alternator, and extended maintenance intervals...
Mike, you're right on the money. Don't forget 6th gear.

Quote:
The cost/maintenance beliefs were what has kept me from owning a KTM for quite a while, but after a lot of research, the newer XC4 engines have proven to be extremely reliable and the valves rarely move.

The newest of the new is always going to be high, but NOS 450 and 530s can be found for 7 grand or less. Street legal out of the gate and a lot of bang for the buck considering MSRP of a WR250R is now at $6,690.

Sure, you'll change the oil a little more often, but it's a five minute job. Trans and filter every other oil change. Valves rarely (if ever) move. Fifty pounds lighter, gobs of power, both kickstart and magic button.

$8000 from Athens for the left over 450s, take your pick, Six Days bike or the dual sport. That's what I was offered. There was some rebate that expired a month ago that made one less $. They'll be titled however you choose, off or on road. You'll have to bring a jet kit if you'd like to ride the one with turn signals home because its jetted so lean that it won't idle or run right. You'll have to bring a dual sport kit for the Six Days bike (definitely the cooler of the 2). The mechanics will help you get either ready to ride.

I picked up a WR250R with an IMS tank and a few goodies for about $3k. I'm happy so far. If I become a better off road rider, I'll probably look at orange bikes again. 2nd row rider was on a 690 Enduro R Sunday. Not sure how it'd do for 4 hours on pavement, but it sure is a beautiful bike.

Once again, it's up to the rider and intended use.

ruppster screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 11:00 AM
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #54145
dox
How much for the ape?

Quote:
$8000 from Athens for the 450s, take your pick, Six Days bike or the dual sport. That's what I was offered. There was some rebate that expired a month ago that made one less $. They'll be titled however you choose, off or on road. You'll have to bring a jet kit if you'd like to ride the one with turn signals home because its jetted so lean that it won't idle or run right. You'll have to bring a dual sport kit for the Six Days bike (definitely the cooler of the 2). The mechanics will help you get either ready to ride.

I picked up a WR250R with an IMS tank and a few goodies for about $3k. I'm happy so far. If I become a better off road rider, I'll probably look at orange bikes again. 2nd row rider was on a 690 Enduro R Sunday. Not sure how it'd do for 4 hours on pavement, but it sure is a beautiful bike.

They go for less, they offered me 7k on a NOS 450, but maybe that was with the silly rebate built in? Not sure about the jetting from stock.

I'm a terrible off road rider, just bought what I wanted. I have sat on WR's and wasn't particularly comfortable If you ever get offered a test ride on a 690, take it. Warp speed with wheelspin.

Intended use? Hooligan bike.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #54146
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
They go for less, they offered me 7k on a NOS 450, but maybe that was with the silly rebate built in?
Must have been, I went over a couple of hours after I saw you at Lowell. The rebate expired 09/30. I had $7k & he wouldn't take it for either bike. He kind of talked me out of it & said I would be upset with its performance if I planned to do things like ride from Marietta to Athens on pavement. He was also scary about the maintenance intervals. I told him I wanted to ride 50-100 miles on pavement, ride in the dirt, & ride home. IDK if I made the right decision, I'm pretty new to motorized bikes, but happy with the WRR so far.

My WRR has a Seat Concepts seat, I was on the bike about 10 hrs Sunday & really wasn't uncomfortable at any time. I feel it is more comfortable than my KLR. If I had to change anything I would like to slightly increase the seat to peg distance a little, but you & I are pretty tall.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #54147
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
... 2nd row rider was on a 690 Enduro R Sunday. Not sure how it'd do for 4 hours on pavement, but it sure is a beautiful bike.

The 690 is probably more suited to 4 hours of pavement than your WRR. Sluggish handling and 313 lbs. + fuel, etc. in the woods means stable on the more open forest roads and twisty pavement. Way more power than you need or want in the woods is an absolute hoot when the trails open up. It probably wouldn't be a lot of fun on the highway for that long, but it would do it with less wear and tear courtesy of the cush drive. It will get heavy to pick up after a day of crashing in the mud. Adventure Rides and Road Enduros are perfect for this bike. It will be fine on a dual sport or even an enduro with the right rider. Too bad KTM decided not to make the 690 Adventure:
Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #54148
dox
How much for the ape?

Quote:
Must have been, I went over a couple of hours after I saw you at Lowell. The rebate expired 09/30. I had $7k & he wouldn't take it for either bike. He kind of talked me out of it & said I would be upset with its performance if I planned to do things like ride from Marietta to Athens on pavement. He was also scary about the maintenance intervals. I told him I wanted to ride 50-100 miles on pavement, ride in the dirt, & ride home. IDK if I made the right decision, I'm pretty new to motorized bikes, but happy with the WRR so far.

My WRR has a Seat Concepts seat, I was on the bike about 10 hrs Sunday & really wasn't uncomfortable at any time. I feel it is more comfortable than my KLR. If I had to change anything I would like to slightly increase the seat to peg distance a little, but you & I are pretty tall.
The recommended service interval is intended for race-pace usage, for what we'd do it's much more relaxed. You didn't make the wrong decision at all, WRR's are great bikes and you got fair price I think.

Mine has a seat concepts seat also. Previous owner pretty much nailed it when he said it was much better than stock, but not "great".
Old 11-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #54149
dox
How much for the ape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Too bad KTM decided not to make the 690 Adventure:
Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #54150
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
IDK if I made the right decision, I'm pretty new to motorized bikes, but happy with the WRR so far.
For a middle of the road dual sport bike, you are probably on a bike that is as good as it gets right now. It has enough power, but isn't scary. It gets good (understatement) fuel economy. It won't get upset with you for riding pavement, you'll just wear the tires, chain and sprockets a bit more. It is capable of going just about anywhere off road. It might not be the easiest or quickest, but it is capable and you can ride it home afterward. Bolt on the protective bits like a skid plate and real hand guards if you haven't already and go have fun with it. Getting the seat height, bar position and suspension set up for you will do more to make you comfortable and help you learn faster and ride faster than a different bike. If the seat seems low, there is a good chance the bars are a bit low when you are standing as well.

In case you didn't read it before your purchase. these guys did a nice write up:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/rev...50r-23644.html