ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #56056
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
What exactly is wrong with it? Or is it one of those "it's just getting old" deals?
If I knew exactly what it was I would feel better at least. because then I could actually attemp to fix it. Right now its a lack of patients. seems like I fix one thing and another thing breaks.

Quote:
MeefZah- It might sound flippant, but just buy a new bike.

Life is too short to not be doing something you enjoy, and funding the things we enjoy doing is why we work in the first place. There are those who will tell you to avoid debt and save your pennies til you can plunk them down for a new GS; I say that money is merely an abstract concept and debt is simply a number.
Buddy I wish I could. I couldn't afford this one when I got it and I'm still catching up since then. and it was only 600 then.
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #56057
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
It's cold down here, starting to snow a little now, figured it was a good time to finish the KLR project. Some of you probably remembered I was thinking about selling it late in the fall after picking up the WRR. I assessed the market and figured it was worth more to me that it was to "the market". So anyway I decided to turn it into a more of a distance/camping/commuter bike, guess that's the beauty of a KLR, there's about 10 million parts out there for them. I've been watching the for sale ads here and other boards. I found some good deals on used stuff,bought some cheap parts to try, and paid new price for the seat.
First to go was the seat. This bike had a dished Corbin on it back when I picked it up. Nut Crusher. I'm 6'2", don't need a short seat anyway. I was using the stock seat, but let's face it 20 years is pretty hard on that yellow foam. I have a Seat Concepts on the WRR, I really like it. So that's what I bought for the KLR, even better they make a tall version (+1.5"). I also didn't like the slick stock rubber coated pegs, replaced them with steel ones from eBay. I found a package deal on some parts. Seems a guy had a bike stolen, insurance totalled it, but he swiped the parts off of it. I purchased SW Motech crash bars, SW Motech center stand, and soft bag racks. The crash bars & soft bag racks have been on the pavement.
I found some used SW Motech quick detach racks for a great price & snatched those up. Then I was looking for cases. Damn, the aluminum boxes are through the roof. Pelican cases are high. I looked at Seahorse cases & was about to pull the trigger, but then I found something that fit a KLR guy's budget better. I picked up some Duratool cases from MCM Electronics for $30 each. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-14355
They seem decently made. I already had the Plano pistol case top box, Tusk hand guards, & had put Tusk grip heaters on a few weeks ago. I think it's ready for some weekenders now. I'm into the whole package at great cheap ass KLR owner prices. Anyway here are some pics:

I guess that's a novel, but WTF its cold outside & there's nothing better to do than talk motorcycles.

ruppster screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 05:01 PM
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #56058
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
We are still in our "five year starter house". Been there almost eleven years now

Word.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #56059
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post

Who needs soaps when we have all the drama here.
1. Congrats on the heal job.
2. Congrats on returning to the tax paying pool.
3. What drama?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #56060
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Well on the bright side it would be a beer truck....a fitting demise for a man.

You could swerve trying to miss a baby opposum, lose the front end, gather it back in, only to lose it again in the ditch, gather it back in once again coming to an ass puckering stop. As you collect your thoughts you see a lucky "heads up" penny. You pick it up, not knowing it carried some horrible flesh eating disease. You are admitted to the hospital just in time to save one leg, the rest of your limbs have basically melted away. On the way home from the hospital your wife swerves to miss the same baby opposum causing you to lightly bonk your head on the B pilar of the car. This causes you to choke to death on the gummy bear you were eating. (no doubt a get well gift from one of the FFs on ADV rider)

Dead is dead, but the manner in which you go should be fitting of how you lived your life. SCQTT

I ride dual sports exclusively, I don't swerve for animals who weigh less than I do, so this scenario is debunked. If I go the way I live, tonight I will be killed by a giant peanut butter pie....and that shit was worth it...

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #56061
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
It's cold down here, starting to snow a little now, figured it was a good time to finish the KLR project. Some of you probably remembered I was thinking about selling it late in the fall after picking up the WRR. I assessed the market and figured it was worth more to me that it was to "the market". So anyway I decided to turn it into a more of a distance/camping/commuter bike, guess that's the beauty of a KLR, there's about 10 million parts out there for them. I've been watching the for sale ads here and other boards. I found some good deals on used stuff,bought some cheap parts to try, and paid new price for the seat.
First to go was the seat. This bike had a dished Corbin on it back when I picked it up. Nut Crusher. I'm 6'2", don't need a short seat anyway. I was using the stock seat, but let's face it 20 years is pretty hard on that yellow foam. I have a Seat Concepts on the WRR, I really like it. So that's what I bought for the KLR, even better they make a tall version (+1.5"). I also didn't like the slick stock rubber coated pegs, replaced them with steel ones from eBay. I found a package deal on some parts. Seems a guy had a bike stolen, insurance totalled it, but he swiped the parts off of it. I purchased SW Motech crash bars, SW Motech center stand, and soft bag racks. The crash bars & soft bag racks have been on the pavement.
I found some used SW Motech quick detach racks for a great price & snatched those up. Then I was looking for cases. Damn, the aluminum boxes are through the roof. Pelican cases are high. I looked at Seahorse cases & was about to pull the trigger, but then I found something that fit a KLR guy's budget better. I picked up some Duratool cases from MCM Electronics for $30 each. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-14355
They seem decently made. I already had the Plano pistol case top box, Tusk hand guards, & had put Tusk grip heaters on a few weeks ago. I think it's ready for some weekenders now. I'm into the whole package at great cheap ass KLR owner prices. Anyway here are some pics:

I guess that's a novel, but WTF its cold outside & there's nothing better to do than talk motorcycles.
And just where is your obligatory milk crate at?

EDIT: Nm, found it. Last pic,bottom shelf to the left. Carry on.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #56062
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
KLR stuff
Good call on those cases. I just ordered a set for my KLR. A little googlefu neted a $9 coupon too(hey, they are for a KLR after all). Code is afc909

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread

Gonzo_Matt screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 06:40 PM
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #56063
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,401
Quote:
SW Motech center stand
Keep an eye on the mounting points for the centerstand, since it uses the footpeg mounts. Those are known to loosen or strip out anyway, and the extra strain of the centerstand can accelerate this. I'd loctite the bolts now and check them every so often for tightness.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #56064
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
. If I go the way I live, tonight I will be killed by a giant peanut butter pie....and that shit was worth it...
That was a huge piece of peanut buttery goodness. I wasn't sure if it was that good or if I was just imagining it since I havent been eating sweets for a while.

Big thumbs up for the G&R's Chocolate Peanut Butter Creme pie!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #56065
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I ride dual sports exclusively, I don't swerve for animals who weigh less than I do.
you should at least loft the front wheel so you can do a fur-roost with the rear

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #56066
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
you should at least loft the front wheel so you can do a fur-roost with the rear
Mark can tell you how the big bloated ones go pop like a zit.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #56067
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Mark can tell you how the big bloated ones go pop like a zit.

ewww...were you following him at the time?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #56068
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,981
Quote:
ewww...were you following him at the time?
Which time?
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #56069
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Which time?

I'm pretty sure thats a video NO ONE wants to see

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #56070
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,401
Quote:
I'm pretty sure thats a video NO ONE wants to see
That video would bring awesome to the party and fuck it in the bathroom.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote