ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #56746
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
which has a couple interesting features on its porch:

That's a Ferret....cool.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #56747
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
and speaking of racing I found something interesting...where 13, 550 and 33 intersect just north of Athens is this place:

which has a couple interesting features on its porch:

Mike Skinner's old #31 Lowes car

anyone know what "rear changer car" refers to?
That's the new location for Ohio Valley Trading & Exchange - or at least their gun & outdoor sales side. Their old location on Stimpson Avenue in Athens was getting pretty crowded, so they left the pawn shop at the original location and moved the gun & outdoor sales to this building recently.

"Rear Changer" in NASCAR refers to the person(s) on the pit crew who changes the rear tires. It could be an old race chassis that was used for practice by the rear changers and then ultimately sold later as a collector's item. OVT&E tend to keep some interesting items around.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #56748
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
"Rear Changer" in NASCAR refers to the person(s) on the pit crew who changes the rear tires. It could be an old race chassis that was used for practice by the rear changers and then ultimately sold later as a collector's item. OVT&E tend to keep some interesting items around.

yeah, my first thought when I saw "rear changer" was tire changer, but I couldnt come up with an idea what the 3 words together meant...now it (maybe) makes sense

and thanks to craig for the name of the "tank" - I'm guessing its a scout type vehicle?

oh, and the Ferret still has its engine...

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #56749
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,676
Legislative attempt to grab the Motorcycle Safety & Education Fund:

OMTA Action Alert, Hands off our funds!
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #56750
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Hey Matt, thanks for coming to speak at our OMDA meeting last Thursday. Sorry I didn't get to talk to you afterwards.

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #56751
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,676
i didn't know you were with a dealer, which one?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #56752
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Hey Matt, thanks for coming to speak at our OMDA meeting last Thursday. Sorry I didn't get to talk to you afterwards.

Later,
M
Yeah me too. I was wondering if that was muddyrabbit or not. I sorta kinda thought it was.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #56753
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post

just got done firing off an email to both the reps for fairfield county.

btw, for those who may be interested, today is the first day for registering for Motorcycle Ohio MSF classes:

https://ext.dps.state.oh.us/MotorCyc...Selection.aspx

I'm planning to take the Advanced Rider Course, as I've already taken the Basic Rider Course and Experienced Rider Course.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #56754
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
i didn't know you were with a dealer, which one?
I think he works at MotoOhio...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #56755
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
I'm planning to take the Advanced Rider Course, as I've already taken the Basic Rider Course and Experienced Rider Course.

Done...there are only 4 dates (at only 1 location) for this course, two in May and two in June...if you have any interest, better get signed up soon. the first class is already down to 1 open seat.

for reasons of work scheduling, I chose June 30 - 745 am to 5 pm. Location is Hamilton, OH at the Public Education and Safety Complex (5140 Princeton Glendale Rd). Maybe I'll see one of yinz there?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #56756
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
That's a Ferret....cool.
ok, the synchronicity of this one is just weird...I read a blog called Dark Roasted Blend and today's article is about vintage armored cars:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2013...ured-cars.html

and features two Ferrets:

"the Daimler Ferret MKI Scout Car, also used by the British Army:

Daimler Ferret Mk2/3 Scout Car, from 1958:

(edit: hadnt finished the article...more Ferrets)

The Daimler Ferret Scout Car was built from 1952 to 1971 and used by the British Army and by the military in many countries in the Commonwealth:

Another Alvis-Ferret was seen in good condition in Russia:

"

sion screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 01:08 PM
Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #56757
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
btw, for those who may be interested, today is the first day for registering for Motorcycle Ohio MSF classes:

https://ext.dps.state.oh.us/MotorCyc...Selection.aspx
Thanks for the heads-up, I just signed up for one of the courses in May.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #56758
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
Done...there are only 4 dates (at only 1 location) for this course, two in May and two in June...if you have any interest, better get signed up soon. the first class is already down to 1 open seat.

for reasons of work scheduling, I chose June 30 - 745 am to 5 pm. Location is Hamilton, OH at the Public Education and Safety Complex (5140 Princeton Glendale Rd). Maybe I'll see one of yinz there?
Hmm, I've never taken any of those classes and there's a training site right here in Troy. :(

There are dual sport rides both weekends they have listed for the advanced class in Hamilton too. :(

Did you ever find any off-road dirtbike training classes?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #56759
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Hmm, I've never taken any of those classes and there's a training site right here in Troy. :(

There are dual sport rides both weekends they have listed for the advanced class in Hamilton too. :(

Did you ever find any off-road dirtbike training classes?
I got an email from the guy but never got back to him:

"Jayson White

We offer the course in Troy, OH. Cost is $50 per rider and that includes the use of our bikes, helmet, goggles, gloves, etc.. We do have a class minimum of 3 riders and maximum of 8 riders. The class is normally ran on a Saturday or Sunday for a 5 hour time frame.

Any further questions feel free to call me at 937-332-6174.

Thanks!

--
Jayson White
MSF Campus Troy
937-332-6174"

feel free to schedule a course if you can get 3-8 people to agree on a date....I'll most likely get in on it if the date works for me

as for the street riding courses, since you have your endorsement Roger, you can skip the BRC, but you might wanna take the BRC-2 ((experienced rider course) which should only be $25 (it was when I took it in 2011) and probably available in Troy) before going on to the ARC (advanced rider course) which is $50 and only in the aforementioned location.

make sure you feel like the course is worth your time and money, is what I'm suggesting. I'm pretty sure you've got a lot more miles under your belt than I do and maybe you dont need the training as much as I feel I do.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #56760
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:

I fired off messages to my local representative as well as each of the members of the House Transportation Sub-Committee. I plagiarized / modified / shortened (to fit the form) the OMTA alert. Feel free to copy / modify mine if you'd like:
__________________________________________________ _
Message to House Transportation Sub-Committee members:

I am writing as a motorcyclist in district _____________. HB35 (Transportation Budget Bill) is before you as a member of the House Transportation Sub-Committee. The bill contains language that abolishes the Motorcycle Safety and Education Fund (Fund 8460). This is the fund that pays for the Motorcycle Ohio rider training program. It is an excellent safety program that trains novice riders for their motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license. It benefits not only novice riders, but everyone that travels Ohio roads; by educating and training riders they learn skills like crash avoidance and many others that make everyone safer.

The 8460 fund does not draw money out of the general state budget. Instead $6 of each motorcycle registration is diverted to the fund. This means it is paid for by motorcyclists but benefits everyone. As you know, HB35 seeks to abolish the dedicated fund that is 8460 and combine it with the State Highway Safety Fund (Fund 7036). The money would still be earmarked for the Motorcycle Ohio program, just co-mingled in with the rest of the larger fund. On the surface it may not sound so bad, but this is one of those slippery slope type of situations. Right now to raid the fund it would take specific legislation targeting Fund 8460, which makes it easier to keep watch over the fund. Once it is co-mingled in Fund 7036 it would be much easier to raid.

Attempted raids on Fund 8460 have been thwarted in both 2006 ($750,000) and 2009 ($800,000). In both cases, the motorcycling community spoke up to protect the money they paid to support rider education. Given the previous attempts, I believe it is necessary to keep Fund 8460 independent in order to prevent unintended use of the money paid into it by motorcyclists.

I urge you to oppose language abolishing the Motorcycle Safety and Education Fund 8460 contained in HB35.

Message to local representative:

I am writing as a motorcycle riding constituent. HB35 (Transportation Budget Bill) is before the House Transportation Sub-Committee. Buried in the bill is language that abolishes the Motorcycle Safety And Education Fund (Fund 8460). This is the fund that pays for the Motorcycle Ohio rider training program. It is an excellent safety program that trains novice riders for their motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license. It benefits not only novice riders, but everyone that travels Ohio roads; by educating and training riders they learn skills like crash avoidance and many others that make everyone safer.

The 8460 fund does not draw money out of the general state budget. Instead $6 of each motorcycle registration is diverted to the fund. This means it is paid for by motorcyclists but benefits everyone. What HB35 seeks to do is abolish the dedicated fund that is 8460 and combine it with the State Highway Safety Fund (Fund 7036). The money would still be earmarked for the Motorcycle Ohio program, just co-mingled in with the rest of the larger fund. On the surface it may not sound so bad, but this is one of those slippery slope type of situations. Right now to raid the fund it would take take specific legislation targeting Fund 8460, that makes it easier to keep watch over the fund. Once it is co-mingled in Fund 7036 it would be much easier to raid.

Attempted raids on Fund 8460 have been thwarted in both 2006 ($750,000) and 2009 ($800,000). In both cases, the motorcycling community spoke up to protect the money they paid to support rider education. Given the previous attempts, I believe it is necessary to keep Fund 8460 independent in order to prevent unintended use of the money paid into it by motorcyclists.

I urge you to oppose language abolishing the Motorcycle Safety and Education Fund 8460 contained in HB35.

rxcrider screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 01:36 PM
rxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote