ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #57661
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
At lunch Olde English had Fereral 9mm for $19 a box. I bought two boxes of tul ammo 115 gr for $16 a box after taxes. Used to be in every Walmart for $9.99 a box last summer.
The last time I bought 9mm was 5 years ago from FF&F for $4.99/50.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #57662
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,536
Question for those of you better at outside the box thinking than me:

I hate my windshield. It makes me want to do a murder. Buffets the shit out of me, gives me a headache, makes me tired, just totally sucks. I've tried a Madstad bracket, which worked nicely on my V Strom when I had similar issues, but on the Tenere no matter what angle I adjusted it to or how high or low I mounted it, the windshield still sucked.

I took the windshield off, to get a baseline for what it felt like with no shield at all, and it was fantastic. Nice clean air, comfortable, no buffeting, no headache; made the whole bike feel smaller and more nimble, actually.

I'd happily run it with no windshield except it looks like ass. The mounting arms are sticking up a good 5" from the fairing, and they are not removeable without cutting them off. In addition, the back of the instruments are exposed and I'd really like some sort of cover, to conceal them and the mounting arms.

As near as I can figure, only CalSci makes a shorty screen, and it's expensive. I can have them custom cut it down more from the "short" position, but at that point I'm taking a $150 gamble on wether it's going to look and work right.

I absolutely do not want a taller windshield. I prefer a naked bike anyway, plus I'm not going to start throwing monney around in a quest to find a "good enough" shield.

That leaves a few other options that I'm knocking around:

-Dirt bike front number plate, some of the newer KLX450 ones are black, nicely angled and might match the lines of the bike, cheap, easy to work with / drill / bend to fit as needed.

-Buell Lightning flyscreen, if I can find one, around $80 or so.

-Cutting down the stock shield, painting it black; sort of hate to do this because if I screw it up then I've got no fallback. Someone suggested a place in Canton to do this.

-BMW GS flyscreen, the "under shield" black cover that some guys run in the summertime without the actual windshield in place.

-Piece of Lexan or plastic cut to fit and painted black, would be cheap but I worry that it would be hard to make look "right"... as much as I don't care about appearances, I kind of care about appearances, you know...?

Here's the mounts as they protrude. Anyone have any thoughts on another option I could look into? Again, I am seeking just a cover, providing no or minimal wind deflection, so smaller is better.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #57663
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Oh, do it with those cartoon figures that speak in computer generated voices, that'd be hilarity to the max, squared!
Dam, I think I was just bitch slapped with sarcasm

Maybe Swing and I could do it Monty Python style?

ME - I just paid $25 for a box of 50 rounds of .22LR
Swing - Oh, I used to get 1000 rounds for that price
ME - Well, I used to get 1000 rounds of 9mm for that price
Swing - We used to find 9mm rounds on the floor
ME - 9mm? We used to have rounds of .38 handed out for Halloween instead of candy.
Swing - I got .308 ammo for every grade above a D I got in school
ME - We had 45-70 cal ammo class in school where we would press our own and then fire it off in gym.
Swing - We took field trips to gun shows
ME - Ahhhh, those were the days
Swing - Yep, never see any of that again

2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #57664
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,698
buy a cheap black garbage can.

will already be curved a bit and you'll have enough plastic for several attempts.
z@ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #57665
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Here's the mounts as they protrude. Anyone have any thoughts on another option I could look into? Again, I am seeking just a cover, providing no or minimal wind deflection, so smaller is better.
Kydex? Heat it up and mold it to your liking. Never done it myself, but it looks like it could be used in your application.
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #57666
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,083
Quote:
Maybe some sort of headlamp mounted up there? You know like they put on Dakar or Baja style bikes?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #57667
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
-Cutting down the stock shield, painting it black; sort of hate to do this because if I screw it up then I've got no fallback. Someone suggested a place in Canton to do this.
It's really not hard. I cut my Vee's shield down it was a snap.

If you start "tall" and leave yourself fuck up room you can cut it 3 or 4 times without ruining the shield.

Put masking tape over it to protect the plastic, draw the cut line (I used one of those flexible curve-makey-things that they sell for mapping out band-saw cuts)...but freehand will work if you're careful.

Cut it with a fine-toothed jig-saw and then carefully sand the edge so it's not so jagged. Then get some 1/4" black tubing from the hardware store, split it down the middle and put it over the edge as "trim".

Paint the inside flat black and viola. It was a very easy project and it's actually pretty hard to fuck up.

Here's how mine turned out.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #57668
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
buy a cheap black garbage can.

will already be curved a bit and you'll have enough plastic for several attempts.
Thats good thinking!

I know a guy that builds custom skidplates. He has some mad "metal bending over the knee" skills.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #57669
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post

Here's how mine turned out.
That looks fuggin sweet. If it ever warms up some I plan on playing with the shield on the strom. I also am going to repaint the bike since it has some scratches on the side. I like a fresh canvas to beat on and add my own scars to.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #57670
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
Try...

Quote:

-Piece of Lexan or plastic cut to fit and painted black, would be cheap but I worry that it would be hard to make look "right"... as much as I don't care about appearances, I kind of care about appearances, you know...?

Then if you like the air flow and looks....

Quote:

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #57671
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Good thoughts, all. Craig, your shit looks awesome. That's better than I could do, no doubt.

I just returned from the local KTM shoppe, where I sized up some various plates and ordered a gloss black number plate to fit a 2013 SX150, $25.00.

The size is almost spot on to my requirements and the bottom of it is angled pretty much in line with the existing fairing angles. It'll require some minor mods but I think it should look okay - and pretty off roady - when done. The brake cable stay is about the only thing that will be obviously out of place. I'll keep you posted.

It's a little more exact that the picture makes it appear, due to depth of field.

My Smugmug Galleries

MeefZah screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 08:29 AM
Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #57672
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
Kydex? Heat it up and mold it to your liking. Never done it myself, but it looks like it could be used in your application.
Sparkster is making Kydex rigs now, I just sent him an email, good idea, thanks.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #57673
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,150
Too bad this discussion wasn't yesterday, I have like 3 number plates and a bunch of Lexan scraps I could have given you to experiment on.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #57674
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Question for those of you better at outside the box thinking than me:

I hate my windshield....

Buell Lightning flyscreen, if I can find one....
It seems like you may already have found a solution Meef but if you are interested I have a spare fly screen off of my Uly that you are welcome to if you want it.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #57675
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Sounds like my DR is sold pending pick up on saturday. Sorry Matt and Steve no riding for me on Saturday.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote