ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #58111
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benly View Post
It was great riding with everyone yesterday. Big thanks to bikeridermark for leading the ride and showing us some great trails. Heres a link to the waterhole that almost swallowed mpenner:

http://contour.com/videos/watch/file0040-1--9
I can't view the video! I've got to figure this out!

Just sits there saying ' loading speed data '
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #58112
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post

Lets just say that MPenner decides to say screw riding around the lake, I will go down the boat ramp and ride through the middle.

Ballz....he has them.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #58113
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Ballz....he has them.
is it an abundance of balls...or a scarcity of brains?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #58114
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
They make a sticker for that.

Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #58115
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
They make a sticker for that.

I resemble that remark.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #58116
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,162
Pretty nice day of riding about today for us.....Krista is getting pretty handy with shifting and we have a good portion of how leaning to turn works....While she was buzzing up and down the road practicing up and downshifting, I jumped into the woods to practice log crossing.....not to be out done, Krista came in as well.

For a reference, the trails in the woods are mostly run by her dad's UTV and it is soaking wet back there...it was super greasy, to the point that I was throttle steering in 2nd gear everywhere I went. Krista hit one of the slick patches and didn't want to get stuck so she laid into the throttle...the expected happened and the lil CRF tried to swap ends.....hilarity ensued...

Also, not to toot my own horn, but I am getting pretty damn good at throttle only wheelies on my WRR. I was lofting the front for a good 100-150 feet...not bad considering I can't wheelie for shit...

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #58117
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post

Try this link instead: http://youtu.be/0t4mODiGQe0

Wish I was a little closer when I took it.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #58118
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,550
A few days ago, there was some scuttlebutt here about me hitting a deer; posts which were quickly nuked as I did not want the information to be out there.

I did not want Meredith to find out that I had struck a deer until I was back home, because it would have worried her over the next several days of my trip. Although she does not get on here regularly, she works with a few guys who do, and I was concerned one of them might read a post about my deer strike and say something to her before I had gotten home.

Those of you who posted and then nuked your posts, thank you. Thank you to Zach for advising me that there even were posts, since I do not check ADV on trips, and thanks again to Zach for communicating to those posters that I wanted the posts removed. Negative points to Buildit, who is a nice guy but I think just suffers from reading comprehension issues; and Dragoon, who I think is just a mean spirited asshole; for not nuking their posts.

Since I'm home now, and have told Meredith what happened and shown her that I am actually okay, here's the deer strike story.

Jon and I were on a 3.5 day tour of WV, VA, MD, DE, PA. I was on my Tenere.

On day 1, near Phillipi WV, at around 8:30 pm, I struck a doe - about 100 pounds or so, I'd guess - that was crossing USR 250. Jon was behind me and saw the whole thing; I recall most of the events but am a little foggy on some just due to the speed at which it happened so some of my story comes from Jon's descriptions.

Basically, the doe was crossing from my right to my left. I saw it when it was about 10 feet away and didn't have time to apply the brakes. I was traveling pretty close to 55 mph.

The bike struck the doe in her chest, and essentially the throat / neck / chest smashed into the front wheel and the right side of the bike. The deer then was spun to her right, clockwise if you were looking down on the event; and smashed against my right leg, then into my right side pannier, and finally disengaged from the bike.

In the course of being struck, the deer's neck was broken and it died. As it was being essentially chest punched by the bike, the deer also had a blowout of sorts... it's large and small intestine, stomach, and a unborn fetus erupted out it's anus. Fecal matter and blood hit everything from my passenger right footpeg on back.

I was able to remain upright, and rode on about 100 yards before pulling off the road and stopping. The bike has what I would call "major superficial damage", nothing that kept it from operating, but a ton of stuff which will need to be replaced. Broken and damaged stuff includes: the front plastics on the right side, the front fender, possibly the forks, the fairing subframe (which is plastic), the right side engine guard, some electrical stuff, the tank, and a weld on the HT rack. The up close photos for insurance are uninteresting so I did not upload them, and the overview photo taken today really doesn't show a lot of damage:

My right leg was pretty sore initially and I was worried that I might have broken it, but the pain and swelling subsided in short order. I was limping over the entire trip but actually feel fine today.

I took some photos for the insurance, collected a few bits of plastic, scraped up 3 of the tools from my toolkit off the road (the OEM kit is under the right side front plastic and was lost when the plastic broke), and Jon and I took off and continued on with the next 2.5 days of the trip.

I have all my trip photos, including the deer strike pics, on my Smugmug page:

http://meefzah.smugmug.com/Other/Mar...8693469_ZX4mZc

I'm here to tell you, the most disturbing thing about the entire crash was seeing the deer fetus that had been blown out of mama when I killed her. I've seen some gross shit, but for some reason, this unborn hunk of protoplasm, lying on the side of the road, still steaming from the cold, creeped me the fuck out! For that reason, it gets posted here; so that even those of you who don't look at my link will have nightmares:

At any rate, shit happens, life goes on. I'm okay, Jon's okay, and two deer are out of commission so they won't wreak havoc on someone else's day. Insurance will cover the damages.

We still had a fun trip: Seneca Rocks, Skyline Drive, Chesapeake Bay, the Atlantic Ocean, 6 states, 1350 miles; and I got to see my buddy Tom in Va Beach.

In the end, this is all that matters:

My Smugmug Galleries

MeefZah screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 03:46 PM
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #58119
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,011
Cool story Bro !
Glad you're ok, as for travelin' on: you da man !
Old 03-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #58120
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,162
Gawdamn Mark, good job on staying upright though that.

Also thanks for totally one upping my story about Krista crashing a CRF 80......dick....

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #58121
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

I just threw up. Thanks for the ride report.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #58122
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

Also thanks for totally one upping my story about Krista crashing a CRF 80......dick....
Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #58123
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Dragoon, who I think is just a mean spirited asshole; for not nuking their posts. g]
Go fuck yourself drama queen. I nuked my post shortly after I posted it. As big of a douche as I this think you are I'm glad you're ok.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #58124
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

Show me her intestines and you win.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 03-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #58125
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
As big of a douche as I this think you are
mic_detonator, is that you????????????????????

My Smugmug Galleries