ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #58426
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I'll ride it up Stone Quarry...

No ringers allowed

I'd try to ride it down quarry. Only because its not mine and gravity is a handy tool

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #58427
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,606
Stone Quarry is that good huh? With your mouth running all the time it must dry out fast though?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #58428
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
No ringers allowed

I'd try to ride it down quarry. Only because its not mine and gravity is a handy tool
Didn't we run a pack of V-stroms down Stone Quarry on Swings Ride?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #58429
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,113
There's been many big bikes up and down it. It's not difficult dry but interesting wet or with snow. 2up isn't bad if you are competent. The only thing making it difficult for rookies right now is the embankment around the log pile. It makes for a nice diversion from the average gravel road.

Indy, quit stirring the pot

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #58430
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
I'd like to see you try to ride it up Stone Quarry......
I got the 1000 Strom up it with a 14 year old girl on back. But, it was bone dry. I think I could get a Goldwing up it if it was dry out and....this is the most important thing....it's not my Goldwing.

Yes, we had a whole mess of big bikes down it on my ride and most didn't have a problem. On that occasion I biffed right at the bottom of the hill where it's not even sketchy - nicked a log with my front tire and it spun it right up into my pannier...pole vaulted the bike sideways and I fell over.

The worst big bike hill I ever took on was going down Lady Run Road in Tar Hollow (which if you haven't been on it is about quad-width rocks and water and the same down-ward grade as Stone Quarry)...once you start down you have to just commit and control your speed. There's a ledge that's too big to go over slow (or you'll bottom the engine/skid plate on it), so you have to hit it with enough speed to loft the front wheel. On a dirt bike, no biggie - on a 550lb Strom? Fuuuuuuck. Scared the living shit out of me, but I got down it. I never did it twice, I'll tell ya that. I had Deb jump off the back and walk it cause I was pretty sure I'd eat shit on the way down.

Having a pillion was actually kinda nice on the offroad stuff on a big bike, planted the rear just enough to give it some extra traction - as long as she wasn't freaking out back there but both my wife and daughter were pretty good at hanging on and enjoying it.

swingset screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 07:48 AM
swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #58431
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Yep and most ended up on their side at some point.

At least mine did

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #58432
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

I thought we had, I'm bad at remembering the names of the roads up there because I only find out what it's called after we do it. I wish we could still do MF hill down in TH. That hill was a challenge and ate a lot of bikes. Although I wonder if I rode it now if it would seem as challenging? Experience does make those impossible hills seem easier over time.
2006 KLR650
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #58433
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Stone Quarry isn't a hard road, it's just become kind of a standard since most of us have ridden it.

It's a good reference as to the relative difficulty of other roads. For me, SQ is the cutoff between where I would, and would not, take a big bike. Some guys apparently delight in wadding up expensive machines; me, I'd rather not ever see my big bike on it's side.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #58434
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
The worst big bike hill I ever took on was going down Lady Run Road in Tar Hollow (which if you haven't been on it is about quad-width rocks and water and the same down-ward grade as Stone Quarry)...once you start down you have to just commit and control your speed. There's a ledge that's too big to go over slow (or you'll bottom the engine/skid plate on it), so you have to hit it with enough speed to loft the front wheel. On a dirt bike, no biggie - on a 550lb Strom? Fuuuuuuck. Scared the living shit out of me, but I got down it. I never did it twice, I'll tell ya that. I had Deb jump off the back and walk it cause I was pretty sure I'd eat shit on the way down.
Doesn't that end in a creek behind some guys house? If it's the trail I'm thinking of you did real good getting the strom down that. You and Flagger thrashing the big bikes on the TH trails.
2006 KLR650
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #58435
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
It's strom able right now. The downed tree would be the only really bad spot.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #58436
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Unrelated drivel:

Fuck yahoo.

If you are a poor dumb bastard that somehow got "The New Mail" and can't get out of it, after some marathon searching I found this link, which will unfuck the settings and return you to Classic Mail.

No need to disable Java or install an outdated browser to trick Yahoo.

Newer ain't necessarially better.

http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/switchclassic

If you had your mail set as your home page you will have to reset the web address in Internet Options but once you do it works as it should.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #58437
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Unrelated drivel:

Fuck yahoo.

If you are a poor dumb bastard that somehow got "The New Mail" and can't get out of it, after some marathon searching I found this link, which will unfuck the settings and return you to Classic Mail.

If you had your mail set as your home page you will have to reset the web address in Internet Options but once you do it works as it should.
Wish there was a way to undo the cluster that is the switch from Hotmail to outlook.
2006 KLR650
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #58438
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
There's been many big bikes up and down it. It's not difficult dry but interesting wet or with snow. 2up isn't bad if you are competent. The only thing making it difficult for rookies right now is the embankment around the log pile. It makes for a nice diversion from the average gravel road.

Indy, quit stirring the pot
The big tree with the hill climb around it has been cut out. There is about a 12" diameter log there still, sitting at just the right angle to make it a interesting obstacle.

In the wet, it would all depend on the tire selection. The best rider in the world isn't going to be able to climb a muddy hill with the wrong tires.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #58439
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Unrelated drivel:

Fuck yahoo.

Hotmail and photobucket just pulled the new and improved shit too. The new Hotmail isn't bad,much less changed, photobucket sucks a fat one now.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #58440
Screzzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
The big tree with the hill climb around it has been cut out. There is about a 12" diameter log there still, sitting at just the right angle to make it a interesting obstacle.

In the wet, it would all depend on the tire selection. The best rider in the world isn't going to be able to climb a muddy hill with the wrong tires.
I've never been to Stone Quarry. I wonder if it would be SV-able without the log crossing. Thoughts?
Screzzy is offline   Reply With Quote