ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #60211
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Flint Ridge DS ride video...

I actually watched it.

Looks like a good time, sorry I missed it.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #60212
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I don't think that "dragging pegs" necessarially equates to skill, although a lot of people will comment about how a section of road was super awesome and they were "dragging pegs" because they were riding so close to that imaginary threshold.

I think it's a matter of the ergos of the specific bike, the camber of the road, and a lot of other variables. I've dragged pegs on a KLR without even thinking I was leaning over hard, and I've not dragged pegs on a bike when I was sure I was millimeters away from a lowside.

I think a demonstration of skill is riding at x mph and never having to touch your brakes. In fact, I try very hard on most paved roads to not use my brakes at all. Smoothness and consistency are better examples of good riding than dragging pegs.
See: The Pace

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fl...nick_ienatsch/
Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #60213
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I actually watched it.

Looks like a good time, sorry I missed it.
It was a good time. The trails were great (as usual) and I only came away with one cracked rib and an extra hole in the expansion chamber.

I misread the arrows after lunch and I think I missed most of a long trail section, but other than that I rode pretty much everything. I did take the bypass around the steep climb because I was getting tired and didn't want to crash again.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #60214
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Holy shit. If that was a Dual Sport ride, I'd hate to see an Enduro.
and Flint Ridge is an easy dual sport with flowing trails and great traction.

If you are looking for something tamer to cut your teeth on, check out the BSA Rally:

http://ohiovalleybsaownersclub.com/S...-9th-10th-11th
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #60215
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
I recall reading that when it first was published in MC.

I must have subliminally kept it with me the past 4 years.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #60216
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I recall reading that when it first was published in MC.

I must have subliminally kept it with me the past 4 years.
Nothing wrong with that - its good stuff
Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #60217
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Holy shit. If that was a Dual Sport ride, I'd hate to see an Enduro.
When I showed up to ride my first dual sport, the ZTR Cabin Fever dual sport maybe in 2007 (?), I was all cock and balls in advance.

I had like a whopping year experience ridng gravel on a KLR650 and had just started riding a DRZ400 on some pathetically easy trails - which at the time I thought were hardcore. Hell, my DRZ had 50/50 tires on it! I thought I was hot shit and had a good handle on what a dual sport would require because I'd dilly-fucked in the dirt for a minute.

I got my eyes opened real quick. A lot of "dual sports" are pretty brutal and this one was no exception. I made it about 1/3 of the way through and was spent, nothing left. I was like: "Fuck this, I'm gone"... managed to eventually bail to the road and hoofed it out of there.

I've come to a few more dual sports since then and recognize now how far down the spectrum I am in terms of skill and equipment. I'm at a stage in my riding career where I feel comfortable that I can finish one, though I may be slow. A WRR sure isn't the hot ticket to do it on, either, but it'll get ya through.

As I've said many times in the past, "dual sport" really is a misnomer and does a dis-service to guys who just like to plonk around on gravel roads. They may well show up expecting one thing, and here the ride is really another - much more hard core and closer to an enduro.

I've heard it said, though, that if you can ride a SE Ohio dual sport / enduro, you can ride one anywhere, since the terrain is about as tough as you'll find anywhere else.

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #60218
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,646
I've heard it said, though, that if you can ride a SE Ohio dual sport / enduro, you can ride one anywhere, since the terrain is about as tough as you'll find anywhere else.

Very true Meef...I`ve ridden enduros all across the U.S. and Ohio is the best (if you like a challenge). One reason why so many national caliber riders come from this area. A lot of national "A" riders use Ohio as their throw away because it is so hard......"Dat why we all be so skilled".
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #60219
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Nice

You aren't going to hit me too on my intro ride are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Flint Ridge DS ride video...

tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #60220
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2012

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
If he does, you will have video of it!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #60221
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Funny haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny_Taggart View Post
If he does, you will have video of it!
That's funny right there....
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #60222
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
It looks like you put your handlebar in that guy's kidney at about 8 min. 15 seconds. Then he falls down across the trail, rolls over and starts 'massaging' himself. How come you watched that guy at the creek crossing for a full minute and then took the open line? You sure passed a lot of guys on the trail (except they were all stopped!)

The ride was fun - Nice video. You need to come and ride the next Gran Prix down near The Plains (near Athens) for the next ride. You'd have fun.

Later -
Damn KTM riders wouldn't get out of my way! lol So I had to take one out.

I clipped Steve's elbow or no so funny bone...

That bank looked almost vertical from where I was sitting and I was a little scared about taking that line. Of course after I made it, I thought it was nothing...lol
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #60223
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
I hope not. We were on a hill when he stalled and I wanted to keep going so I passed him. Right as I did he leaned over into me and I whacked his elbow good. I'm sure he's not going to want me trailing him again. :(
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 02:53 PM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #60224
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Man, that looks like a blast. I wonder if an ancient 2 stroke air cooled yamaha would pass the noise test to do one of those... No way am I trying it with the KTM.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #60225
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Cry

Quote:
When I showed up to ride my first dual sport, the ZTR Cabin Fever dual sport maybe in 2007 (?), I was all cock and balls in advance.

I had like a whopping year experience ridng gravel on a KLR650 and had just started riding a DRZ400 on some pathetically easy trails - which at the time I thought were hardcore. Hell, my DRZ had 50/50 tires on it! I thought I was hot shit and had a good handle on what a dual sport would require because I'd dilly-fucked in the dirt for a minute.

I got my eyes opened real quick. A lot of "dual sports" are pretty brutal and this one was no exception. I made it about 1/3 of the way through and was spent, nothing left. I was like: "Fuck this, I'm gone"... managed to eventually bail to the road and hoofed it out of there.

I've come to a few more dual sports since then and recognize now how far down the spectrum I am in terms of skill and equipment. I'm at a stage in my riding career where I feel comfortable that I can finish one, though I may be slow. A WRR sure isn't the hot ticket to do it on, either, but it'll get ya through.

As I've said many times in the past, "dual sport" really is a misnomer and does a dis-service to guys who just like to plonk around on gravel roads. They may well show up expecting one thing, and here the ride is really another - much more hard core and closer to an enduro.

Thanks for the warning. I'm hoping to hit a my first dual sport down in South Carolina in a few weeks. Here's hoping they're tame by Ohio standards.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote