ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #61351
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2012

Oddometer: 788
I'm laughing! Hope you enjoy the RS; a good looking machine. Did you sell trade the entire DRZ package? Or are you selling wheels separately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
A couple of months ago I posted that I had just traded for a DRZ and was looking for riders and locations. Well... Every year my buddies and I ride to VMD and for several years we have ridden up to Wooster to check out the newest Moto-Guzzi's (I posted a demo ride pic last weekend). Well, this year while we there and I was Un-numbing my hands from 200 miles at 65mph on the DRZ I fell into lust with a 1994 R1100RS. I traded for it today. So far I love it. I only ended up going 80 miles as Weasel Boy Brewing was calling my name.

Thanks to everyone who volunteered to show me around Ohio dirt, but now I need to get some Barbacks and plan a trip down through the Mississippi delta to hear some blues. Never done that yet...
Old 07-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #61352
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamewasmud View Post
I am off to look at a new Strom, the only color they have is blue not a deal breaker but you know what they say about blue strom riders...
I was down at Clinton County last week and they had a white one on the floor
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #61353
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
We have a blue and white one in stock. FYI after almost two years or so of the zero % we get the feeling it will end at the end of July. Could be wrong, but there are indicators it is going away. Suzuki does not have their own inhouse financing so they are obviously contributing at the factory level to buy that rate down.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #61354
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,144
Last minute little bike ride from my house at noon. Expect lots of gravel and mud.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #61355
LeVeL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Is anyone attending Zanesville Trail Riders enduro on the 4th. It starts in Chandlersville and is a 200 mile ride. No AMA license is required. I think the fee is $40. I've never done one before, but plan on going. Hope to see some of you there.
LeVeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #61356
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Opinions wanted. I sold my WRR today and am looking for something lighter and skinnier.

We did some riding today and I took my CRF 230L, believe it or not, once I got over the top speed of 60 on the road, I was so much happier on gravel and in the nasty stuff than I have ever been on the WRR. The lighter weight and just overall more nimbleness of the bike makes riding sooo much more enjoyable for me.

That said, the CRF is lacking in a few places. The suspension travel sucks, I hit a little jump that maybe took me 2 feet off terra firma and bottomed hard, and I'd like about 10 more ponies. It's also a bit short and cramped. I also think I want to try my hand at some woods enduros next year, and want a bike that isn't quite so portly to pick up 10 times in a ride, thus why I sold the WRR

All that said, I'm thinking either going orange, or going goofy and getting a gas gas or 'berg. Requirements are 4 stroke, electric start, lightweight, and stay in the 250-350 range. I'm not against getting another enduro and plating it. I'm not too concerned with road manners at this point, just able to hit 55-60 and able to cruise between gravel.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #61357
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Opinions wanted. I sold my WRR today and am looking for something lighter and skinnier.

We did some riding today and I took my CRF 230L, believe it or not, once I got over the top speed of 60 on the road, I was so much happier on gravel and in the nasty stuff than I have ever been on the WRR. The lighter weight and just overall more nimbleness of the bike makes riding sooo much more enjoyable for me.

That said, the CRF is lacking in a few places. The suspension travel sucks, I hit a little jump that maybe took me 2 feet off terra firma and bottomed hard, and I'd like about 10 more ponies. It's also a bit short and cramped. I also think I want to try my hand at some woods enduros next year, and want a bike that isn't quite so portly to pick up 10 times in a ride, thus why I sold the WRR

All that said, I'm thinking either going orange, or going goofy and getting a gas gas or 'berg. Requirements are 4 stroke, electric start, lightweight, and stay in the 250-350 range. I'm not against getting another enduro and plating it. I'm not too concerned with road manners at this point, just able to hit 55-60 and able to cruise between gravel.
What could be lighter and more nimble then the KLR? I just fought hard to not drop it much.

Also, I havent heard much about the Versys lately. Have you had it out much?
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #61358
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,406
Quote:

If you mod it will you realistically be happy with the outcome Matt? Bars,risers, drop pegs can give more room, a few mods to wake her up should give you the power, and getting the suspension fit to you should address that. But if you'll always be wanting orange,blue or beta/gas gas, then Id look there unless you don't want to spend the money. your bike, your call.

Most of your off road bikes once plated with turn signals and full fuel will be about the same weight as your 230.. maybe you just need one that wears it better? husa's 350 is 235 pounds empty, plus 2.5 gal of fuel @ 6.1 ppg. You're almost at 250 pounds there as is.

Danjal screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 06:34 PM
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #61359
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
What could be lighter and more nimble then the KLR? I just fought hard to not drop it much.

Also, I havent heard much about the Versys lately. Have you had it out much?
The KLR has gone on to live a happy life in Michigan..

I have put about 900 miles on the Versys and love it. I ride it anytime I am going someplace and not taking the boy. I would like to get a good trip in with it before winter, we'll see how the chips fall.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #61360
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,049
Quote:
The KLR has gone on to live a happy life in Michigan..
I hope they dont run it hard or get it dirty.

Quote:
I have put about 900 miles on the Versys and love it. I ride it anytime I am going someplace and not taking the boy. I would like to get a good trip in with it before winter, we'll see how the chips fall.
I will be off again the last week of August and want to put some miles on Scrotrom. The kiddos will be back in school by then.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #61361
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
If you mod it will you realistically be happy with the outcome Matt? Bars,risers, drop pegs can give more room, a few mods to wake her up should give you the power, and getting the suspension fit to you should address that. But if you'll always be wanting orange,blue or beta/gas gas, then Id look there unless you don't want to spend the money. your bike, your call.

Most of your off road bikes once plated with turn signals and full fuel will be about the same weight as your 230.. maybe you just need one that wears it better? husa's 350 is 235 pounds empty, plus 2.5 gal of fuel @ 6.1 ppg. You're almost at 250 pounds there as is.
I am not going down that route of throwing parts at a bike to try to change it completely. The 230L is a great bike, but it will never be exactly what I want, and will cost too much to get it close. Not even an option.

250 pounds is a hell of a lot lighter than the 300+ the WRR goes. I'm happy with the weight of the 230, I can toss it around like nothing, and was hanging the ass out hard in gravel today.

The WRR is hands down the best at what it does, and I really will miss it, but I am at a point where I want to ride more aggressively, and start pushing myself to become more skilled off road. Road manners and maintenance interval are not as important to me at this point.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #61362
Danjal
Insert wit here.

I understand that, but the problems you mentioned are all simple fixable ones. Its a single carbed air cooled.. they're heavily restricted by epa regs normally. Im not proposing anything as drastic as what Ive done, but a jet kit will more than likely get you half way there as is in terms of power. The bars and rises will probably be needed at some point in the future anyway as most stock bars suck. The suspension, will be the biggest work load out of the mods. Im not sure how much you weigh, but not a single factory setup has been kind to me.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #61363
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Not as simple as buying a bike that already does what I want it to. A CRF230 will never be a KTM 350 XCF-W, I don't care what you do to it.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #61364
Danjal
Insert wit here.

No, it wont. That's why If I asked if you could live with it.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #61365
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post

I will be off again the last week of August and want to put some miles on Scrotrom. The kiddos will be back in school by then.
Keep me in the loop. D-day for finishing the house is the second week of August, and after that I am free to roam.