ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #61651
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Kickstarting's fine, come on in!

Nice. Yours?
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #61652
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
Yep! Owned it for a looong time. Fun bike.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #61653
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:

That is a nice piece of iron...color me green with envy

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #61654
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:

Very nice!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #61655
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
Very nice!

Yes, I like that.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #61656
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,259
The absolute stupid simplicity is what does it for me. Aircooled, kick start...it's all business.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #61657
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
The absolute stupid simplicity is what does it for me. Aircooled, kick start...it's all business.

its got nice lines too...and I'll bet its very flickable

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #61658
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
its a very cool bike, but I see the lack of e-start scaring off a LOT of potential buyers...
Seems odd that they would use FI, but kick only. Turn it on, wait for fuel pump to prime, then kick it? I suppose if it starts as easy as a WRR, it would only take 1 or 2 kicks. 23HP? (edit 25), I'll stick with a WR250.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...ary/22154.html

ruppster screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 08:25 AM
ruppster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #61659
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Seems odd that they would use FI, but kick only. Turn it on, wait for fuel pump to prime, then kick it? I suppose if it starts as easy as a WRR, it would only take 1 or 2 kicks. 23HP?, I'll stick with a WR250.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...ary/22154.html

Kyles new CRF450r is FI and is kick only with NO battery. I still dont have that figured out yet but it sure starts easy.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #61660
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Kyles new CRF450r is FI and is kick only with NO battery. I still dont have that figured out yet but it sure starts easy.
There's a capacitor in the fuel pump assembly to assist initial priming. They also switched those bikes to AC, like KTMs, in 2009. No battery makes sense on a MX bike, its usually not too far to the truck.
Kick start only must just be a hipster thing on a new street bike. Magic buttons sure are nice.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #61661
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
No way. Kickstarts are superior. I will always enjoy picking it up, kicking it 10 times with the decomp because it was flooded, then trying to position the bike in a way that I can throw my weight down and not drop it again and start over. It's always better above 80 degrees in full gear.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #61662
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
No way. Kickstarts are superior. I will always enjoy picking it up, kicking it 10 times with the decomp because it was flooded, then trying to position the bike in a way that I can throw my weight down and not drop it again and start over. It's always better above 80 degrees in full gear.
You forgot on a 45 incline.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #61663
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
The SR has never gone away in Japan. The reason the "new" one that might come to the US is a 400 instead of a 500, is that is what they have over there for licensing requirements. It would cost a whole lot more money, even for a 100cc displacement bump.

Electric start is pretty light and simple these days. I get the hipsters wanting kick, but the magic button is just that.......magic. I could see if kick reduced the price a bunch or if electric were problematic on current machines, but it is not.

The FI might make it better, but kicking a big 4 stroke single is not pleasurable. Kicking my SR is a PITA.

I think we would see it if they can get it down to $5,499. It is getting a lot of positive comments, but they are talking about $6,500. I can assure you that they will be dust collectors at $6,500

It seems like the tooling & R&D would all be amortized to the point where this bike would be super cheap. The only thing close in age that is still being produced is the KLR and it is $6500....from a materials standpoint there is a little more raw materials in a KLR, but I guess the nicer finish on some of the SR parts & the FI adds cost. I suppose the hole where the piston goes has little to do with bike cost, perhaps if the SR was a 600 $6,500 would seem OK.

The FZ-09 looks like one hell of a motorcycle for $7,900. Crazy narrow & really cheap. I hope they have more plans for that engine.

The Honda GROM looks neat, maybe not as practical as a Ruckus, but a lot more fun. I wonder if the gocart tracks will immediately have a class for them? They should.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #61664
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
...The Honda GROM looks neat, maybe not as practical as a Ruckus, but a lot more fun. I wonder if the gocart tracks will immediately have a class for them? They should.
I agree. I think my, errr, wife wants one.
Just like a moped or a fat chick...
Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #61665
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
The SR has never gone away in Japan. The reason the "new" one that might come to the US is a 400 instead of a 500, is that is what they have over there for licensing requirements. It would cost a whole lot more money, even for a 100cc displacement bump.

Electric start is pretty light and simple these days. I get the hipsters wanting kick, but the magic button is just that.......magic. I could see if kick reduced the price a bunch or if electric were problematic on current machines, but it is not.

The FI might make it better, but kicking a big 4 stroke single is not pleasurable. Kicking my SR is a PITA.

I think we would see it if they can get it down to $5,499. It is getting a lot of positive comments, but they are talking about $6,500. I can assure you that they will be dust collectors at $6,500

It seems like the tooling & R&D would all be amortized to the point where this bike would be super cheap. The only thing close in age that is still being produced is the KLR and it is $6500....from a materials standpoint there is a little more raw materials in a KLR, but I guess the nicer finish on some of the SR parts & the FI adds cost. I suppose the hole where the piston goes has little to do with bike cost, perhaps if the SR was a 600 $6,500 would seem OK.

The FZ-09 looks like one hell of a motorcycle for $7,900. Crazy narrow & really cheap. I hope they have more plans for that engine.

The Honda GROM looks neat, maybe not as practical as a Ruckus, but a lot more fun. I wonder if the gocart tracks will immediately have a class for them? They should.
There are several really cool bikes coming out now. I'm glad to see them, though I am probably on my last bike for the next 3-5 years or so.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote